sleishman, the only true free floater

richfreak

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh sleishman, their too heavy, too expensive and too hard to tune.

I can honestly say these claims are unwaranted. I got a 5 piece kit for under $4000.

Considering that I have less than US$2000 in my kit (listed in my sig), my opinion is that that's not such a great price. Of course, my shells aren't "free floating", but I think they sound pretty good. I was never a big fan of the Pearl free floating snares anyway.

Anyway, have fun with them.

• Members
nope, i have examined the peavey, and it is a true free floater, the first free floating drum.

THE FIRST? I doubt it. Sleishmans have been making the only PATENTED free floating drums since the late '70's early 80's. SLEISHMAN WAS THE FIRST. Read their history. Other companies have tried to create free floaters but have not suceeded in TRUE free floaters.

All this don't matter. :bor: The proof is in the sound. You can't hear 'em. I can!

• Members

For someone who claims they have no affiliation with sleishman you're doing an awful lot of defending of them.... Every single post you have made has been in defense of them. If you truly have no affiliation with them... why don't you join in on the general discussion?

• Members

For someone who claims they have no affiliation with sleishman you're doing an awful lot of defending of them.... Every single post you have made has been in defense of them. If you truly have no affiliation with them... why don't you join in on the general discussion?

yeah... i want this thread to die... i wish he would say "the only free-floater" in a pearl forum... grant it, i would never play a pearl, but they still make one.

• Members

that's a fair call. i get annoyed because i believe these truly are the best around and i don't get how everyone can't see that the other "floaters" are not true floaters, there's always something touching the shell somewhere. i love ferrari's too and would defend them just as much, doesn't mean i'm affiliated.

all this is crap anyway, we could talk for years about this. go and see sleishman at NAMM or find a set and play 'em. That's all i'm saying. let this thread die then, there's just no educating some people. enjoy your buckets.

• Members
marine_BIG.jpg

Love the color but like Cheese, I like lugs - um drum lugs. Schmesonance coefficients aside, sumpn wrong with buttoning down those rods on one end? Make 'em from graphite and you lose more dead weight than resonance. Not to mention schmesonance.

• Members

Why on earth do they go through all that {censored} to eliminate hardware on that kit... yet put a Soviet Russia era giganto tom mount on the bass drum? There are several solutions out there that would be less intrusive/massive than that one. Or they could have left the mount off entirely. Seems very counter productive to their philosophy if you ask me.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hey all. i know i'm a few years late, but meh, its a forum.

Ok, Richfreak: Yes! i did work at Sleishman Drums. I did a year and a half worth of work placement (Work experience) there back in 2010-2011 and was trained by their master drum craftsman.

I'll give a quick basis for Sleishman Drums. Yes, they are true free floating drums (Nothing is bolted/glued/stuck to any part of the shell EXCEPT for the skin). Peavy and Pearl tryed to do a "free floating" system, but the simple fact is: they arnt really free floaters. Peavy glued wood rings onto the shell to mount the lugs onto (Kinda the reverse of a wooden hoop kit), and pearl used two shells (one main shell and one suspension shell where they attach the lugs to). Neither system is a true free floating system.

Yes, Sleishman does have a special bearing edge system that they utilise. In fact, the method that they take can even round out an out of round shell (Having a perfectly round bearing edge is crucial to a good sound). They are, to my knowledge, the only company that uses this particular method and angles.

D Carroll & cheeseadiddle: Yes, there have been other free floating drums before. Rope drums are the original free floating design. This changed to Bolted Lugs back last century to ease the tuning of drums. This was back about the same time that drum kits (originally known as Trap kits, Trap for Contraption) were becoming more common.

Don Sleishman came up with the idea when he was tapping on a shell that he was working on for a fellow drummer. He noticed that it had a very noticable to, but when he bolted a single lug to it, the tone vanished. The design went through a few forms before he settled on the current design we see today.

Now, To answer the most common question i get asked when talking bout Sleishman Drums. NO you cannot have separate tuning for the top and bottom head. Because the top and bottom head are tuned at the same time, anything done to the bottom will affect the top, and vice versa. This means that the top and bottom head (once set up and tuned properly) are actually tuned to the same tone. Translation, the drum is tuned to a whole note.

The benefit of this is it gives the drum an amazingly easy tuning system (Tune the top to tune the whole drum), an amazingly strong and rich tone with beautiful reasonance, and a VERY broad tuning range.

For example: My snare drum is a 13x4 Custom Prototype 24ply thick Poplar Snare. It is the only one ever made and was an experiment. With the Sleishman System, its tuning range can go from a medium rock snare, all the way up to almost a military snare sound within 4 minutes and still sound good. No need to tap tune or even take it off its stand. Perfect for quick changes while performing live, or getting a completely different sound in the studio without wasting engineer's time.

I could go on about all the best ways to use and worst ways to abuse them, but i will say that for another time lol.

Archived