Help this lazy guitar player buy some drums! (Please?)

u6crash

• Members

So...

I've been toying with the idea of buying another drum set for some time. My first and only set was a Pearl Export that I picked up around 2003 or something (bright orange Philipene Mahagony shells). I liked it except that it had a "fusion" sized floor tom that didn't stand on the floor, but mounted to a cymbal stand. That's about the only thing I've figured out about drum sets is that I tend to like a bigger deep floor tom (even if most of my work is restricted to bass, snare, and hi-hats). 

Looking for something that others can jam on when they come over and I can dabble with from time to time and maybe get better eventually. I'd buy new if someone pointed me to a screaming deal, but I feel like I'll get more bang for my buck going with used. No specific budget. Maybe trying to stay under a grand with cymbals. Might spring for a little more if I could find a "Made In USA" kit (just something I'm trying to do more of, even used), but would settle for something not made in China (again, just something I'm trying to do). Been checking out craigslist and I think I see things that look good, but I don't really know. Anything I should try to inspect when I check them out in person? Are there brands, models, years, wood types I should especially try to score? Thanks for all your help folks!

Archived