Late at rehearsals: feedbacks needed!

• Members
Originally posted by drummerjoe

hahaaha... dosent bother me at all man. there are plenty of execptions to the rule, but generally singers are ninnies. Needy, whiny and slefish. Take it for what its worth... Just an opinion, from a stranger on an online message board... dont get to riled up.

How old are you? 12?
:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Kingnome

How can you possibly expect EVERYONE in a band to be a lead vocalist?

Have to agree with the King here. It's certainly a tremendous bonus to have multiple singers in the same band but it is rare. Journey & Yes are few and far between.

There have been many successful bands with only one main singer, there is no iron clad rule. Just finding decent musicians is hard enough but to find decent musicians that can also sing well is a lot harder. Unless your music is utter simplicity itself where you can look for good singers and hope to teach them how to play an instrument. Of course, you still have to find the good singers and that's not too easy nowadays either.

Imagine all those egos in the same room together. The entire region you're in might just implode.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Rush (to name a few) did pretty well with only one singer. Dream Theater only recently added harmonies live and they really shouldn't. If there are any harmony vocals in these types of bands they are almost always done by the lead singer and left out of the live versions.

• Members

Right on rangerkarlos. I use to watch our lead singer walk through the door an hour late for three weeks. What did I do? I quit. Bass players don't have to put up with that crap. When members start doing that crap, it's time to find serious musicians.

• Members

This is funny, I came to this forum with plans on posting about the problems with my tardy singer. Here is the situation.

4pc Rock band, vox-guitar/guitar-backup vox/bass/drums

We have all known each other forever, we were in the same graduating class. The drummer and I were in a successful local band for 3 years. The bassist filled in for the last year of that. The singer has never been in a band that has done anything, he was in a small garage band with the drummer a few years ago, but it didn't work out, and they barely played. They were just in it for fun at 15.

The drummer, bassist, and myself are always ontime, and ready to go within 20 minutes of the set practice time. But we are always at least in the building on time. The singer is very rarely on time. He has been between 30min to 3 hours late. When he gets there, he still has to setup, plugin, get his song lists, notes...yadayada. Meantime, we are all sitting around, with guitars strapped on ready to go.

We had a gig Saturday, we unloaded at the bar, setup, went home to change and clean up, and were to meet back at the bar at 9, to start at 10. He didn't show up until 10:30. People were getting restless, they came out to see us, and we weren't starting. The three "ontimers" had to make excuses for him. When he got there, he acted like it wasn't a big deal, and just wanted to start as normal.

We all sat down the other day at practice, a few days before this gig, and talked about everyone's time. I explained that I'm dealing with over an hour commute to get to the jam house to practice, and I didn't appreciate waisting an hour waiting on his ass. I have altered my work schedule to fit in to the band, and sacrafice a lot to make it there, and put my time and talent into it. The drummer goes to college two hours away. He is willing to transfer here, or even break for a year, to see what we are capable of doing. This is how much we love playing music. I explained the reason that the drummer and I enjoyed moderate local success in our old band. We were all dedicated, and knew what we had to do to get things in order, and keep them efficient.

We have only had this new band for about 2 months. I have made a deal with the drummer, that we are going to give the singer one more chance. After that, it's over. This is a hard thing to do, because I really see a lot of potential in what is here. He is a great singer, looks good, good frontman attitude, good songwriter, decent guitar player. He just will not fall into a group setting. We don't want to quit, but we are going to have to do something to get it through his head. We have practice tonight at 6:30. We are going to have a discussion if he is ontime or not, because of what happened Saturday. We are going to see how he responds to our outlook, and comments. If he is late we are not practicing, and we are going to give him the ultimatum of shape up or get out. It's not his band, it's not anyone's band, but the problem will be fixed one way or another. What sucks is, we don't have anyone for a singer, and it is a royal pain in the ass looking for one. Hopefully he can come around, so we can move on, and unlock some of this potential that I think is there. I'll let you know the outcome. WISH US LUCK!!!

• Members

Good luck, agt5, and keep us posted on how it went.

I'm the instigator of this post (bennyleb is at home and benleb is at work) and my situation is that I'm the only one in the band who has the guts to complain about the singer being late.

When I tell them how I feel about the situation, they all agree (except the singer, of course, he has an ego problem and he doesn't really care) but they don't back me up when on a regular basis. I think they are some kind of sissies when it comes to giving their opinions up front, and that's a very big problem, believe me. I feel like I'm always the only one who's complaining when, in fact, I'm the only one who's acting like a professional.

As a band, we sound great, just like yours, agt5. The singer has a good voice, he however needs some lessons on the technical side to correct his bad habits. We put up a tribute band (It's a beautiful day...) and we sound exactly like the original. Now that this is established, we do original in rehearsal and we play live with our tribute set so we it's easier to be booked and make some money out of it.

In my particular situation, there is no future with this band. Why? Because the singer has a controlling effect on the two others members (guit/bass) because this pinead has a big mouth and he knows how to manupulate them... and believe me, they don't see him coming at all. But I do, and I don't need and I don't want that {censored} in my life. Since I stand up to him, he always takes his revenge and stab me in the back, that's his game.

All I can do is look for other mature and professionnal - in their acting, first and foremost - musicians and leave this band when the time will come.

• Members

My concern with all this is that, first, I can't cope with this situation anymore and second, after two discussions and numerous moments of frustrations, the other guys will not change. I don't expect anybody to change and, quite honestly, it is not my damn business, but by their actions, these guys will never have access to a certain level of profesionnalism and success, simply because they don't see the point in all this.

What do you think? Any advice or opinion will be greatly appreciated!

Ben - here's the thing. Obviously your in a catch22. Your dealing with band members - who for lack of a better term...don't give a {censored}. It sucks but, if I were you I'd leave. {censored}'em....who needs that kind of nonsense. Imagine if things are this bad now...how bad are the gonna be down the road you know? Obviously, they are not reliable and cannot be counted upon to do their job and hold up their end of the responsibilties. Besides, you said you've talked to them numerous times about all of this and nothing has changed so I think you know the only way this can be handled.

Consider it a lesson learned and good riddance on your part to get on with your career.

As far as punctuality goes - my motto: To be early is to be on time ...to be on time is to be late!

• Moderators

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

Best advice? Join a band of PROFESSIONALS!!!!

Pros ARE on time, and they DON'T waste time!

Exactly. I take over $6000 worth of equipment to EVERY gig. Me. Personally. Not counting all of my other gear at home and our rehearsal area. I do not work with immature indiviudals and I will not tolerate anything but professionalism when it comes to music. I've had my time wasted to much in the past when I've made exceptions.

• Members

Originally posted by justcrash

Exactly. I take over $6000 worth of equipment to EVERY gig. Me. Personally. Not counting all of my other gear at home and our rehearsal area. I do not work with immature indiviudals and I will not tolerate anything but professionalism when it comes to music. I've had my time wasted to much in the past when I've made exceptions.

Agreed!

Archived