Late at rehearsals: feedbacks needed!

• Members

For the second time since I joined my band, 3 months ago, I'm having some spicy discussion with the other members of my band. The problem is that some of them - and one in particular - are almost always late at rehearsals.

In the beginning, we set the time of the rehearsal at 7:30pm. The guys kept arriving between 7:40-8:00, then they would plug in - I'm the drummer - and then we would begin to play around 8:30-8:45.

To me, that doesn't make sense. For a 7:30 rehearsal, I would arrive to the studio at 7:10-7:15, get me some water, make some last-minute tuning and then I would be ready to start jamming at 7:30-7:40. If I have some major setting up or tuning to do, I would get there an hour or so earlier, depending of the extend of the setting up to do.

My view on this? I think that punctuality is very important and if a musician cannot get on time and show some respect to the other members (i.e. doesn't waste their time), the problem will only get bigger and bigger and then, it will have a negative effect on the image and the profesionnalism of the band. My time is very valuable and I don't have any to waste. My motto is that if you wanna be a pro, act like a pro. Show up on time and know your songs, but don't waste my time.

The singer is one part of the problem: he's ALWAYS late (I'm talking up to half an hour to 1:30 after the scheduled time) for no justified reason and he makes phone calls on his cell between songs. Since we usually practice in the evening and that I have to get up early to get to my job, it's a problem for me. He was also late in almost every other situation I could witness: at a gig to set up the equipment, at the studio where we recorded our demo.

My concern with all this is that, first, I can't cope with this situation anymore and second, after two discussions and numerous moments of frustrations, the other guys will not change. I don't expect anybody to change and, quite honestly, it is not my damn business, but by their actions, these guys will never have access to a certain level of profesionnalism and success, simply because they don't see the point in all this.

What do you think? Any advice or opinion will be greatly appreciated!

• Members

Man thats tough. Singers are an odd bunch arent they? They are almost like girls. Well.... if you have talked to them and they dont care, im not sure what more you can do. I agree that its only get worse. Late to practice is bad, but late to recording and gigs is inexcusable. I mean ask them... is this a part time hobby to your band? Cause they are NOT treating it like a job. And your time IS valueable. Does anyone in the band agree with you? I had this same problems with my first 3 bands. The band im in now gets there before I do! Like 30 mins before I show up 30 mins early! Its so nice! And its not because they are super serious, they just cant wait to play! Some people are in bands for the love of the music (you), and some just fall in love with the idea (them). I would talk to them again and be very serious... tell them what you want to come of the band and how you see it happening... then just ask them how they see it. If it dosent work out, then I would play with them long enough to find another band, and get the hell out. But man, I totally understand. And its hard to see potential go to waste. My band actually has some set rules if you wanna hear them for practice...

1) cell phones get left in the car

2) show up on time.

3) when practice starts, it starts... be ready to play

4) no friends can come to practice

thats pretty much our guidelines.... But honestly.. it sounds like a band means more to you than it does to them. I just get off on playing and its the hi light of my day. Good luck man, and I think any serious musician has been where you are before!

• Members

Hey drumerjoe, and thanks for your view on this.

Each member of the band say that they are very serious with this band and thay they all want to do originals songs, then a demo, etc. We are even close to hiring a manager. You see why I need some advice! Because they all wanna get serious and they're not wise enough to see where it all begins.

And you know what the funny part is: I'm the one in the band who's doig it simply because I love playing drums and playing music. I started playing when I was strong enough to hold cooking spoons and to hit my mom's pots and pans! Recently I completly stopped playing for 4-5 years (I was establishing my “other” career as a graphic designer) and started playing again 2 years ago because I missed playing music so much. Right now, I don't need to get successful, I have a job that I like, a beautiful and intelligent girfriend, I'm a pretty happy guy! I only play because I like it and these guys are ruining it. You bet I'm gonna ditch them when I find some more “mature” musiciens. The other members are 27/25/33 years old and I'm also 33.

By the way, the singer only does this because he likes to be seen. He has an ego problem and I don't have time to fu** with.

Your band's rules are great. I'll apply them... with my next band!!

Thanks again.

• Members

Man, you're the DRUMMER!!! Bang on your bogos like crazy from 7:30 on, whoever's in the room. If they complain (and they will), tell them you started the rehearsal.

Or....if the schedule rehearsal is 7:30, show up at 8:30.

Seriously, though, I agree that it's a total lack of respect. I hate people who are late. And living in L.A., I know quite a few. Usually, if I have an appointment at 8pm, I'll be late and arrive around 8:20pm, and be the first at the appointment anyway, with the others arriving between 8:35 and 9:10. Go figure.

• Members

Dude tell them practise is at 6:30 but make it 7 with the space if you pay or the time you arrive

so either

a.they'll arrive at 7 with you on time (not really but..:D )

b.you will get there at 7 and they'll already be there(highly unlikely) and be pissed at you (may make them realise)

c.they'll still be late :D

I once had this dickhead guitarist that could only see things from his point of view ,a classic

He had been late forever and sometimes wouldn't show up no phone calls nothing ,so he came in one day and we went off

Anyway one time i came to practice 5 MINUTES LATE ( I still needed a lift in those days)and he went off his head going "if I showed up to work late it wouldn't matter if it was 5 min's or a hour" So i got stuck in and the whole band was at each others throats ,god love those days...

• Members

If you're in any kind of business dealing with musicians, you had better get used to them being late, or not showing up at all.

I expect it, plan on it, and use my superior intellect to bend them to my will.:p

• Members

Communication is very important when you are in a band. Don't assume others should know what your thinking. Get the members of the band together and discuss this problem with them. If they are serious about music, they will get to rehearsal on time. If not, I would suggest looking for other musicians that have the same goals as you. Don't waste time banging your head on a wall.

Try to set aside some time every couple of weeks and discuss band matters.

::grutko::

• Members

If you're paying for rehearsal space by the hour it's a pain in the ass if people show up late. A lot of people figure that if you're booked from 7-10 for example then to show up sometime between those hours is OK. IT"S NOT!

I think the best solution if they won't make the effort is to tell them you have it booked earlier than you really do. Some people just don't see punctuality as important at all. I'm lucky that the guys I'm playing with now all show up early, that's because they can't wait to get started. Lateness and flakiness seem to be the accepted norm here in LA and it sucks.

• Members

I agree with most of drummerjoe's first post. Some people will be playing music because they like the idea of, well...themselves playing music. Others do it because they just sincerely enjoy it. I always felt that when band members wander into practice 30, 45, 60 minutes late, it's really disrespectful of everyone else. People who are chronically late to practice are basically communicating the notion that their time is more important than mine, and I can just wait (and waste my time) because they are poor managers of their time. Hey, if someone is an hour late, the band is either (1) going to have to stay an hour later or (2) not get as much practice in.

Bah! It's just rude any way you slice it.

• Members

Unfortunately this is an all too common occurrence. Too many people don't look at a band like it's a job and act professionally. Those that do are more likely to succeed. Those that don't complain the rest of us are too anal.

There's no middle ground as far as I'm concerned. You either put up with it or replace the offending members if they can't or refuse to change their habits.

I also agree it is rude, highly unprofessional and demonstrates a serious lack of dedication. 5-15 minutes late you can let slide but when it is consistently 1 hour or more late that is inexcusable.

I hate when people pull that crap:mad: .

• Members
Originally posted by BLACKWINGEDBEING

and drummers don't know {censored} about music.

Any more dumbass generalities you care to share?

Hhaha strike a nerve? In this case it looks like the singer is the one that cand handle things, so simmer down.

• Members

I like the idea of a quitting time. Then, when these clowns finally figuer out which end of the mic to sing into, and which SRV tone they've dialed in, you look at your watch and say "Later, taters. It be quittin time". And leave.

Our practices are 2 hours 7:00 - 9:00. Strict, like clockwork.

You're right about "be pro- act pro". This includes manners, clothing, punctuality, finesse, attitude, humor, sobriety, gear maintenence...the list goes on.

This is showBUSINESS, not air guitar in the bedroom.

The whole "stroll in with attitude and kiss my ass" scenario is fictional for the working band.

Once one is over that hump, it's like any other activity. Work hard, get good, do your best every time, and good things will come.

Anything less is pure selfish bull{censored}. With apologies to the one who said "get used to musicians being late"- wrong.

Pros are pros. I'd rather work with a good reliable musician than a great playing jerk-off any day of the week and twice on Saturday nights.

The reliable guy is going to help you get and keep gigs, no doubt about it.

Karlos

• Members

I'll simmer down if you stop being such a great example of a "drummer"!

What an ass!

hahaaha... dosent bother me at all man. there are plenty of execptions to the rule, but generally singers are ninnies. Needy, whiny and slefish. Take it for what its worth... Just an opinion, from a stranger on an online message board... dont get to riled up.

• Members

Originally posted by drummerjoe

hahaaha... dosent bother me at all man. there are plenty of execptions to the rule, but generally singers are ninnies. Needy, whiny and slefish. Take it for what its worth... Just an opinion, from a stranger on an online message board... dont get to riled up.

Drummers :rolleyes:

• Members

Drummers
:rolleyes:

HAHAHahahaha

ahahHaha

hAhAH

AhHAahehehehe

ehEHhe

hehehehe

hEhh GOOD ONE!

AHHhhhahahaha

ahaha hehahahah

seriously!

AHhahah hahahaha hehehehehe hehehe lol lol

ROFLMAO!!!

AAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh DRUMMMERS!!!! GET IT?!

AHAHAHhaha aaAAAhahshehehehehehehe

OOOOOOOOOOoHHHHHHHHHhhahahahahah ah

haha hehehehe

hehehe ahahahaha

hahah

hahahahaha lol.

• Members

Find another band.

They obviously aren't as serious and/or dedicated as you are.

Tell them point blank that it's nothing personal, but you need to be in a situation with people who are dedicated to playing music, which includes showing up to practice on time.

Find yourself another band, and make sure the guys are dedicated, or build a band...create a profile of what you wish to accomplish, and then go for it.

For example, I don't do drugs, and I don't drink.

I've had my time wasted enough over the years. Yeah, I know I'm a hard ass, but that's just the way that it is. I have close to $30K in musical, live sound, and recording equipment of my own money. I'm very serious about what I do.

I don't play with drunks or drug users (and that includes pot smokers.. I just simply don't do it, and I'm not going to get in trouble for hanging around with people who do it. I do not associate with drug users. Period.)

And I don't play with musicians who can't sing. I studied Opera for several years, and I feel that it is "beneath" me to play with people who are only HALF of a musician....Sure you can play Yngwie licks like mad, but the real question is can you sing lead vocals if the lead singer gets sick?

So, I say hit the music stores, classified ads, etc. and find some guys who are serious about playing music.

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by Fafnir777

And I don't play with musicians who can't sing. I studied Opera for several years, and I feel that it is "beneath" me to play with people who are only HALF of a musician....Sure you can play Yngwie licks like mad, but the real question is can you sing lead vocals if the lead singer gets sick?

Tim

Whoa ..... that's a bit rough, isn't it ? I'm the most anal person I know when it comes to low tolerance for BS in bands, but that "must sing lead" thing ? "Half a musician" ? Well, at least my other half is serious.

• Members

Originally posted by Kingnome

Whoa ..... that's a bit rough, isn't it ? I'm the most anal person I know when it comes to low tolerance for BS in bands, but that "must sing lead" thing ? "Half a musician" ? Well, at least my other half is serious.

Well, think about it this way.

How would Queen, Kansas, Yes, Asia or any of the other bands that have awesome harmonies have turned out if only the lead singer could sing? The odds are that they would not have been signed.

The same goes for Def Leppard....of course, some people would see THAT one as a blessing!:D:D:D

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by Fafnir777

Well, think about it this way.

How would Queen, Kansas, Yes, Asia or any of the other bands that have awesome harmonies have turned out if only the lead singer could sing?

In the world of bar-bands, country bands, etc., I can almost see your point, but major rock acts cancel when their singer can't sing.

Why? Because he's the singer.

The odds are that most of the vocals on recordings were done by the lead singer (ie Freddy Mercury, and Steve Walsh ), and/or pro back-up vocalists. Live, many bands use pro back-up vocalists.Why? Because it sounds better that way.

How can you possibly expect EVERYONE in a band to be a lead vocalist?

The Eagles are a rare exception, and that was then...In todays music business, who even cares for harmonies, anyway ?

I, like many people, play more than a couple of instuments. How many of us would make one musician?

Thank you for letting me kneel at your feet and share.

• Members

Originally posted by drummerjoe

HAHAHahahaha

ahahHaha

hAhAH

AhHAahehehehe

ehEHhe

hehehehe

hEhh GOOD ONE!

AHHhhhahahaha

ahaha hehahahah

seriously!