Best Time to join a band

• Members

I'm getting into Bass after a few years meddling with the Guitar and was wondering how long I should leave it before I should think about joining or forming a band.

Im new to the Bass scene so dont want to embarrass myself by trying to join one to soon, should I give myself 5-8 months or so of practise first.

Im 21, am i too old to just start off in a band now or what, since all the successfull bands that are starting are a few years younger than me.

• Members

I hope you're not too old, because if you are then I'm way to old (almost 25). :eek:

i say join a band now for the sole purpose of getting better at bass. Once you feel comfortable with the instrument, find a better band. Plus if your luck's anywhere as bad as mine, it will take you about a year to find a decent band anyways. SO start looking now.

-Bird

• Members

21? Your carreer is over, you might as well forget it and start worrying about retirement funding, kid's tuition funds and social security.

DUDE! COME ON, 21?

I agree with BB, nothing better than to be in a band to learn. By yourself you can learn the technique. But in a band you'll learn to play standing, you'll learn to move while playing (if you play live), you'll learn to be a team player (listen to a drummer that doesn't play like a metronome), you'll learn to fine tune your sound, to find the gear that's the best for you, you'll learn music business, business music, how to communicate, how to deal with drunk drummers, how to deal with late drummers, how to deal with drummers and drugs, and how to deal with a singer's ego, and how to deal with a loud and obnoxious guitar player, and maybe if you're lucky how to deal with a drummer's girlfriend.

Then you'll grow tired of it and decide to quit. That's when you'll be ready to join a band (a real one).

Where are you located? I'm looking for a bass player, and although 21 is a little young, I'm sure that would be fine ;)

• Members

Im new to the Bass scene so dont want to embarrass myself by trying to join one to soon, should I give myself 5-8 months or so of practise first.

That depends on how quick of a learner you are. The one big thing to remember is that the bass is not just a reject guitar with 2 less strings, or that guitar players who couldn't hack it on guitar settle on bass.

Those are some of my personal pet peeves :)

I've met guys who've played bass for 10-15 years and don't understand the first thing about bass (rhythm, melody, harmony). I've met guys who picked up the bass 3 years ago and can smoke the hell out of me (I've played bass for 7 years).

One mistake also is to attempt to quantify music experience, which I see so many people who post here try to do. Without knowing a thing about you, people can't say "yes, 5-8 months is enough" or "5-8 months is not nearly enough" with any sort of conviction. There are no set guidelines to joining a band, starting a band, getting "into the business," or whatever.

Timing, luck, experience, and a bit of skill are more important than a college degree in music theory or a rigid plan to spend X years in one music-related function, to be followed by Y years in another.

You're ready when you know the basics of your instrument, and gather the courage to risk sucking terribly. If that comes in 2 months, then go for it! If it comes in 2 years, so be it.

Dare to suck! a humorous, but true, motto

• Members

Here's my experience, maybe you could learn from my mistakes. I grew up mostly in portland oregon, and started playing keys at age 15, and guitar at 17. By the time i was 19 I was pretty good friends with a couple bands that had a decent following locally. Then when I was 19 I got in a serious relationship with a girl, and we moved in together. I wasnt in a band at the time, but my weekly jamming with some of the members with a band called sanctum stopped abruptly. Then when I was 21 I decided to try to get back in to the swing of things, and all my old friends had moved, and/or quit playing. I decided to move to Seattle. It was 1995 and the sene in seattle seemed really cool at the time. I got up here and it was dead, and I realized that Keeping myself out of the loop for a couple of very important years really hurt me musically. Skill wise and carreer wise.

Once i got to seattle it took me a couple years to start looking for people to jam with. I spent a lot of time 4 tracking and writing, but the right people are hard to find as you get older. I've been in a coule bands since i got up here, but I hate to think about what could have been if I hadnt given up those early 20's so easilly.

My advice, join whatever band will have you for now. If they work out great, but atleast you will learn something. I've noticed that even when i jam with people that suck, or are way better than i am I usually learn something no matter what.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Archived