Whats Going On?

100jamesX

• Members

currently I'm trying to sing a stylized version of Still Alive. I hope it turns out well in the end. I'm really trying to play with how the lyrics can be sung. One day I sang it so much my that my voice went a little hoarse, ha ha. Other than that, I've been learning the guitar. I'm trying to play Scarbarough Fair right now... more practice is needed at this point. "Hey Soul Sister" is such a pretty song, I hope you eventually get over all the 'hey's, ha ha. Sometimes I find myself wanting to make female versions to male sung songs. I tend to like songs sung by men better then women. Does this make me a sexist? : P

• Members

i came in some time ago and found soundcloud due to some of the poasts... somewhere along the line somebody heard some of my stuff and a local studio contacted me for a project they are doing... :idk: they asked me to give them two days this week that i would be available so they can set up a meeting with me... they mentioned they are interested in producing my stuff as well... it's just a small local studio, nothing major, but looks like it could be some fun and maybe get some more studio time... :) we shall see...

• Members

Mikeyparent: Hah, funny pic!

Voltan: That sounds awesome!

I think I'm going through an evolutionary stage as a singer right now where I'm realizing that I'm not as good as I thought I was.. :p

• Moderators

Mikeyparent: Hah, funny pic!

I think I'm going through an evolutionary stage as a singer right now where I'm realizing that I'm not as good as I thought I was..
:p

Oh come on! I'm probably one of the least talented singers on the forum, but I don't care, I just do my thing and keep going. If I can, then anyone can!

• Members

Oh come on! I'm probably one of the least talented singers on the forum, but I don't care, I just do my thing and keep going. If I can, then anyone can!

Well.. there's more to it than what I just posted. I've been going to singing lessons for the past 3 and a half months about, and I've seen a lot of improvement from that. Recently I was getting to a stage where I felt like I was better than I ever was before and I really felt like I was advancing.

But then about a week or so ago while I was practicing, something happened. I suddenly started thinking about this jerk on this one messed up forum who criticized my singing too harshly (imo) for whatever reason. Maybe he just didn't like me or something. But for some reason I thought about him, and I don't know if I felt like I should change the way I was singing for some reason, but right after that I noticed that I started singing differently and worse than before. Like all the improvement and stuff that I learned from before, it was all fading away or something even though I could remember everything or most of what I had learned from voice lessons.

So I started panicking and tried going over what I learned during lessons and tried to re-check if I was doing anything wrong or something, but that still didn't help..

I'm wondering if my confidence has been shaken or something, cause I feel like the musical ear and talent/skill that I felt I had before, are gone or aren't functioning right for me at the moment for some reason.. I find my notes doing strange, bad things that they never did before, and I just feel like my singing is just worse overall than before.. It's really weird. :(

I moved to a different state recently, so I've stopped going to lessons with that one teacher, and I haven't started lessons with a new one yet, but I'm gonna try to get in touch with my old one and maybe ask him about it.

• Moderators

Well.. there's more to it than what I just posted. I've been going to singing lessons for the past 3 and a half months about, and I've seen a lot of improvement from that. Recently I was getting to a stage where I felt like I was better than I ever was before and I really felt like I was advancing.

But then about a week or so ago while I was practicing, something happened. I suddenly started thinking about this jerk on this one messed up forum who criticized my singing too harshly (imo) for whatever reason. Maybe he just didn't like me or something. But for some reason I thought about him, and I don't know if I felt like I should change the way I was singing for some reason, but right after that I noticed that I started singing differently and worse than before. Like all the improvement and stuff that I learned from before, it was all fading away or something even though I could remember everything or most of what I had learned from voice lessons.

So I started panicking and tried going over what I learned during lessons and tried to re-check if I was doing anything wrong or something, but that still didn't help..

I'm wondering if my confidence has been shaken or something, cause I feel like the musical ear and talent/skill that I felt I had before, are gone or aren't functioning right for me at the moment for some reason.. I find my notes doing strange, bad things that they never did before, and I just feel like my singing is just worse overall than before.. It's really weird.
:(

I moved to a different state recently, so I've stopped going to lessons with that one teacher, and I haven't started lessons with a new one yet, but I'm gonna try to get in touch with my old one and maybe ask him about it.

It's okay. It can happen to the best of us.

But you have to remember, singing and the voice is a complex instrument, because the instrument is the person. And people can be complex. To sing well, you have be in control of yourself, both physically and emotionally. You have to be able to control your emotions or else you may run into trouble. When people experience traumatic things such as fear, anger, etc. your body will tense up, which is a natural response of the body, but its these things that hinder your singing.

You have to try to bypass the negative thoughts. Try not to over-think everything, just do.

• Members

It's okay. It can happen to the best of us.

But you have to remember, singing and the voice is a complex instrument, because the instrument is the person. And people can be complex. To sing well, you have be in control of yourself, both physically and emotionally. You have to be able to control your emotions or else you may run into trouble. When people experience traumatic things such as fear, anger, etc. your body will tense up, which is a natural response of the body, but its these things that hinder your singing.

You have to try to bypass the negative thoughts. Try not to over-think everything, just do.

Yeah, maybe I just have too many negative thoughts in my head concerning those people. And I do have a tendency to over-think things. And you're right about having to be in control not only physically but emotionally/mentally to be able to sing well. *sigh* I guess I'm gonna have to work on that somehow.

Thanks for the advice!

• Moderators

Yeah, maybe I just have too many negative thoughts in my head concerning those people. And I do have a tendency to over-think things. And you're right about having to be in control not only physically but emotionally/mentally to be able to sing well. *sigh* I guess I'm gonna have to work on that somehow.

Thanks for the advice!

Feel free to post up any new singing clips. I'm interested to hear your progress :)

• Members

i met with the owner and manager of the studio... it's a little place but nicely set up with some knowledgeable folks running it... we talked for a bit and i was asked to sing so i got out my guitar and did three tunes... 1st. "Route 66/ Let me go home whiskey" medley done in a modern up tempo, western swing style, 2nd. "Little wing" and finished up with warren zevon's "Carmelita"... all of them done in my own arrangements... they said i had them half way through the first verse of the first tune... then the owner said they knew from the tunes they heard on the website, they just wanted to hear me live to see if i was the real deal... looks like it's time to get busy... :)

Archived