Can a vocal effects processor help a mediocre voice sound passable?

kwyn

• Members

I still say no, it will not make you sound better, compression, pitch correction, and harmonies that are processed via the pedal, when missused will just add new layers to the issues.

What would make you sound better other than the predictable lessons, would be a good sound guy that could add some effects to your voice.

Rod

• Members

I play keys and some guitar depending on the tune. I don't really ever plan on singing leads and am very poor, so vocal lessons are out. I don't mind practicing on my own, but I don't know that that will get me to far.

But I hear ya about the effects box. Probably not gonna help much. I think I might recommend to the rest of the guys that we just pass on the gigs.

• Members

I play keys and some guitar depending on the tune. I don't really ever plan on singing leads and am very poor, so vocal lessons are out. I don't mind practicing on my own, but I don't know that that will get me to far.

But I hear ya about the effects box. Probably not gonna help much. I think I might recommend to the rest of the guys that we just pass on the gigs.

Fill in musicians are easier to do than fill-in vocalists, thats for sure...

• Members

I think you'd pass for punk. Much more important in this case that you get into it. I'm not a punk expert but you sound punk to me. What I do when I'm missing a pitch is slow it way down and play each note on the guitar that I want to hit. and keep repeating slowly till i muscle memory it. I can tell your not tone deaf I think you have my prob of sometimes not deciding what note you were trying to hit exactly. The more straight forward noted you were on. It was probably the harmony noted you were hesitant. You don't want to do a timid note, specially in punk.

• Members

Yeah. I think you're onto something. Often, I don't know every pitch in the song so I end up takin a semi random stab at it and hope for something that sounds right. I think you are totally right about the muscle memory thing. I'll try what you suggested but with a keyboard until its in "muscle memory" THX!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

OK. So I picked up a Boss VE-20. Pretty cool toy!!! I know... It's not gonna make me better, but here's a track I did.

Mind you, I suck at guitar!! (and at singing too). I'm a really a keyboard player

But, here's the track using the Ballad preset plus some extra reverb.

http://picosong.com/SgD

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, we did not take the gigs.

• Members

OK. So I picked up a Boss VE-20. Pretty cool toy!!! I know... It's not gonna make me better, but here's a track I did.

Mind you, I suck at guitar!! (and at singing too). I'm a really a keyboard player

But, here's the track using the Ballad preset plus some extra reverb.

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, we did not take the gigs.

sounds like dylan.

• Members

Sounding "better" is a subjective thing.

I sometimes use a subtle "doubling" effect on my voice on songs where my vocal range isn't strong. I don't use enough that anyone really notices, but my voice sounds thicker. However, a missed note is stil a missed note.

If you are missing a lot of notes, then probably you need to change the key you are singing those parts in.

Point being that anything in moderation can be acceptable. If you overdo/overuse any effect it will probably be obnoxious to the listener. However, subtle modifications to your vocal channel will probably not be noticed by the audience, and can help you tremendously if you have some "rough spots" in songs that you are trying to get through.

Archived