WindInstruments & Singing?

• Members

I played wind instruments, including sax, for years, starting when I was 6. I never had to "learn" breath support for singing, it just came naturally. Plus, I've always had a consistent, even airflow when I sing. So, I believe that my playing wind instruments had a LOT to do with these things that I didn't have to "learn" for my singing.

Also, if no one has mentioned it, the late Ronnie James Dio, one of the most powerful leather-lunged singers in metal, started out as a trumpet player.

• Members

I think it depends how you want to sing maybe. A flute would require a more steady, stable and controlled stream of air...but a trumpet for instance might require BIG air...for belting singers perhaps...maybe?

I think this is a common misconception about how trumpet is played. I used to play trumpet myself, and it was never about "big air", but about consistent air pressure. Great for breath support. Except on occasion, for emphasis, a trumpet player isn't "blasting" through the instrument. He or she is applying strong air pressure through the lips, but in a very controlled, even fashion.

• Members

I think this is a common misconception about how trumpet is played. I used to play trumpet myself, and it was never about "big air", but about consistent air pressure. Great for breath support. Except on occasion, for emphasis, a trumpet player isn't "blasting" through the instrument. He or she is applying strong air pressure through the lips, but in a very controlled, even fashion.

Heheh, the only reason I assumed the trumpet was a blast-it with air instrument is cause people seem to go red in the face and look puffed out while playing it. lol

And one of my friends (Vardy, the silly one I mentioned in another thread, with the fake accents we put on, lol) used to play the trumpet and she looked like she was going to pass out afterwards from blowing so hard. She wasn’t very good though. Lol.

• Members

SO DO I! I was good at playing the recorder back in school but now I've forgotten it...dammit! And I have not one, but TWO recorders to play! They play themselves out of boredom, you know...

Me Three! I actually wanted to learn to play the flute in my last year of primary school. Never got to because I walked into the music department and there was such a ruckus and they looked so disorganized so I left.

Archived