WindInstruments & Singing?

• Members

What do you guys think about wind instruments making you a better singer?

I have 2 good friends who play wind instruments in band and happen to be amazing singers. To take it a bit further Brian Mcknight and Prince happen to also say in there biography that they play wind instruments.

I'm seriously considering to spend some time learning to play and see how its affect my singing..

I've consider myself pretty decent on guitar & piano.. But the voice isn't something you can just spend countless hours on developing muscle memory and become good.

I have took lessons in the past and recently.. nd all my teachers were a little on the too nice side.. praising me for the good and not really being to critical. I have threw out all my old singing rituals and starting from scratch because I was singing with tension without knowing thats not the way to go.

Sorry for the rant.back 2 the question..

Do You think Learning Wind Instruments Might Have Some Positive Effects On Singing?

• Members

But the voice isn't something you can just spend countless hours on developing muscle memory and become good.

The voice is something you can spend countless hours on to become good...muscle memory is a big part of singing. Grant it some people are born with good voices, but without spending the time to perfect their craft, they wouldn't be great! The voice is an instrument and it takes time and practice to get to where you want to be. If you want to play a wind instrument, more power to you. If you want to be a good singer, I would focus on what it takes to become a good singer...hard work and practice.

• Members

Thank you Grace ..

@Static.. I agree nd disagree with u a lil bit.. Practicing the right thing would be key.. The problem im having is finding out what will be the most beneficial..

I have really devoted my self to practice.. I got the tv off games off everything .. Just every waking moment is pretty much spent on practice..

Im going to do an experiment.. showing me singing be4 then another clip after a month of learning to play a wind instrument..

The problems I'm having now I really can't pinpoint because people lie to me and say im good all the time.. But I have been pulling back and paying close attention to vocal strain and Larynx position.

I used to sing all day (ignoring any vocal strain) and have now adjust to singing Intel i feel strain. Take a break then jump back into to it.

• Members

I tried using a piece of PVC pipe for a trumpet but I can't say it improved my singing more than practice does. I'm finding that singing along with recordings, various artists with a variety of voices and styles is helping me now. It is as if singing various styles moves my throat in different ways.

I sometimes sing for 6 hours and do not feel strain. I wonder if you are singing near your limits more than I.

• Members

I have played wind instruments (clarinet, saxophone, oboe) since a really young age, and in fact didn't really get into singing until much, much later.

I think having a background in classical music definitely helps to develop a more evolved understanding of pitch and melody, as well as general musicality, while the diaphragm will really benefit from the workout that playing a wind instrument gives it!

I'm not sure how much learning a wind instrument would benefit someone who is already a singer, but I definitely think a background in music and the breathing used for wind instruments would give a better starting platform for a novice singer to begin from.

But go for it, wind instruments are great and the more diverse your musical abilities are, the more opportunity you will have to use them!! :)

• Members

I've played wind instruments all my life (trumpet, sax, flute, etc) and the thing I've noticed is breathing for singing, at least the way I've been taught to do it, is a bit different then when playing a wind instrument. While playing an instrument I find I take in and use much more air than when singing. When I'm singing it's more about where the air goes (ie trying to feel some expansion in the lower back) and creating the compression of the air internally, so as not to "blow apart" the vocal cords w/too much air. Playing horns is more about "big relaxed air in-big relaxed air out" to get a full relaxed sound and feeling of the air moving through the horn....hope this makes sense.

• Members

I play trumpet and sax. If you feel like it, just learn them :)

I find that learning to play an instrument is awesome. You feel yourself progressing really quickly if you like it. Like PollyGoPop, I also started singing pretty late in my life. I first played instruments like trumpet and piano.

Yeah, and I do think they do help. I think that learning any instrument could help you sing better, but more wind instruments I guess. I think it helps with being able to sing for longer without having to breathe.

• Members

Instruments like trumpet, sax, etc., will certainly benefit your breathing technique. I doubt they'd help you beyond that though, if only considering effects on your vocal skill (for example, your sense of pitch etc will of course improve as you play instruments).

yea.

• Members

<...snip...>
Do You think Learning Wind Instruments Might Have Some Positive Effects On Singing?

Definitely. But learn from a good teacher. Playing a wind instrument will teach you how to breathe through your diaphragm and not your chest, plus it should improve your lung capacity and breath support.

PS you need something bigger than a recorder.

Don't expect overnight success though. Like everything else musical, you have to pay your dues.

I started out playing saxophone, so I had the breath thing down first. Then it's a matter of singing a lot to strengthen the singing muscles and get intonation control.

If you breathe improperly when you sing (by expanding your chest when you inhale and/or tightening your throat when you sing) you can get nodules, which will give you a permanently raspy voice like Rod Stewart or Stevie Nicks. You could get an operation to remove them, but it could backfire like it did with Julie Andrews and you will never be able to sing again. So be sure to learn to use your voice without harming it. If you sing properly, you should be able to avoid any problems.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I think maybe you should try a couple of experiments, One before and after of one month of singing practice, then one month of wind instrument practice. You sound pretty paranoid too. like wah wah wah People lie to me yada yada big salty tears. put up a clip of you singing for us and we won't lie if you blow a big one... and I aint talking about trumpets.

• Members

Basically what this boils down to IMO, is you need to find a good coach. Sadly, there are a lot out there that will fill your head full of bull{censored} just to keep you coming back $$$...If you have the feeling they're just leading you on to get your money, find a new one quick! The best coaches out there will point out and fix any flaw you have as well as establish a solid foundation. If you go in, sing a few scales, blah blah, and they give you a "thumbs up" that was great, they're in it for the money man. And yes I agree that if you want to learn a wind instrument to help with singing...the only thing it will probably help with is breathing...a recorder ain't gonna cut it. My 2 cents..

Archived