Does coffee mess with your voice?

Chester_Hoss

• Members

Ive been drinking alot of coffee since it feels good when it gets cold here and the past few days Ive been getting sore throats after practicing an hour or longer. Ive been doing screams too but I dont think it's that and I havent been boozing since Im trying to save money. I also cant drink caffeine before I work out since it makes me cramp up like a bish in heat. So I think it might be messing with my chords.

• Members

Most coaches recommend against caffeine, but I do drink coffee in the mornings. I have to keep it to a minimum and it's too bad too because it makes me feel like singing and working on stuff...but it dehydrates you. Maybe if you drink a lot of water in between you can counteract it some.

• Members

Coffee is a *mild* diuretic. In moderate amounts it should be no worse than drinking water.

Not really. Coffee is also a natural laxative... you can fill in the blanks...

i still say jack3d will give you the pumps that coffee doesn't prior to a good vocal workout.

• Members

oh {censored}, i thought everyone's tried it. it's OK, but the 1-3 dimethyamlyamine in it SUCKS for me. but a LOT of people love the 1,3-dimeth. it gives me a stimmed out/cracked-out stare of emptiness, and of course there's stim dick too.

all the preworkouts are going with the 1,3-dimeth, it's hard to fine one w/o.

i just use a caffeine pill 200mg + acetominophone.

there are a few really good coffee whey proteins out there if you like the coffee taste, and IMO they don't have the same sides.

• Members

there are a few really good coffee whey proteins out there if you like the coffee taste, and IMO they don't have the same sides.

yea I guess I could just drink decaf, but I feel like I need to be under the influence of something, which is one of the main reasons I enjoy caffeine a lot. Otherwise my depression will start to kick in full force and I will feel like {censored} all the time. i generally prefer stimulants since they dont make you as lazy as depressants do.

• Members

lol yea. it is banned in olympic and college sports and some countries like Canada too

yea I guess I could just drink decaf, but I feel like I need to be under the influence of something, which is one of the main reasons I enjoy caffeine a lot. Otherwise my depression will start to kick in full force and I will feel like {censored} all the time. i generally prefer stimulants since they dont make you as lazy as depressants do.

I hear ya, lol. Coffee is the world's most popular antidepressant. I'm old so I really have to hold it down now, but when I have a gig I need it to keep going, stay up that late, play good and get through all the ordeal of packing out and driving home. I think it constricts my vocal folds or makes them spazz out a bit, so naturally I have to counteract the caffeine with something else. What a mess.

Then I go all Sunday without caffeine...ugh.

• Members

lol yea. it is banned in olympic and college sports and some countries like Canada too

some st johns wort are very stimulating and also anti-depressant. Particularly the Perika brand from nature's way. Iherb has good prices.

• Members

i always found it interesting that the doctors I know consume greater amounts of caffeine and alcohol than the non-doctors i know.

yea I think they have one of, if not the highest suicide rates of any profession. apparently theory doesn't save you from reality

• Members

I hear ya, lol. Coffee is the world's most popular antidepressant. I'm old so I really have to hold it down now, but when I have a gig I need it to keep going, stay up that late, play good and get through all the ordeal of packing out and driving home. I think it constricts my vocal folds or makes them spazz out a bit, so naturally I have to counteract the caffeine with something else. What a mess.

Then I go all Sunday without caffeine...ugh.

caffeine, like all stimulants, is a vasoconstrictor. it's also commonly used as an ergogenic performance aid because of its stimulant properties. one must weight the costs vs the benefits.

For some reason, the caffeine from a Coke Zero affects me significantly more than a 200mg caffeine pill. I have not figured this one out. I suspect it may have to do with the carbonation which increases the absorption similar to effervescent properties.

• Members

Every person reacts differently, so mileage may vary. For instance, caffeine, coffee, and dairy have no noticeable effect on my voice. I can drink an iced mocha, followed by a piece of cheesecake, and sing away.

However, even a little alcohol dries me out immediately, and I'm pretty much done. No "partying" for me if I'm singing.

But I know other people that can drink half a bottle of Jack to no ill effect on the voice, but even a hint of dairy makes them all flegmy and useless for singing.

I also have known people who systematically experimented for months, or even years, to find out EXACTLY what's good and bad for their voices.

Archived