Collaboration - I Dreamed a Dream - Les Miserables

YeahDoIt

• Moderators

Haha, Thanks!

I am very much looking forward into being apart of this! (:

So...please, if you wouldn't mind, filling me in on what to do/how to do it??

Hey Amelia, just go download from the newest posted link (from the website picosong.com). It will include all the recorded parts done so far. Import the MP3 into a recording program (audacity, cubase, garageband, etc) and record your new vocals onto a separate track while the original MP3 is playing back (use headphones for listening). And when you're finished, just export back into a MP3 and upload it back to the same website and then post the link here.

Also, make sure you only press record on the parts that you're singing in. Don't leave any blank recorded spots, it will gather background hiss/noise to the recording. Let us know if you need more explanation.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, I don't use headphones. I feel better being "free". Ear free. lol

And yeah, you just click the most recent link (which will look like www.picosong... etc) and it'll have the most up to date version of our recording. :)

And that picosong site is so easy to use when you upload the MP3 file onto it. Even I can do it!! lol

I always screw these recordings up cause I have to record the entire song and just sing on my specific bits, cause if I only press record when I come in, then it doesn't record them in the right spot overall, you know? It starts the song, and then instantly there's my bit coming in! Very annoying. I am most definitely technologically-stunted. :cop: (the cop there is poking his baton at me by the way, no one else) lol

• Moderators

And that picosong site is so easy to use when you upload the MP3 file onto it.
Even I can do it!! lol

LOL :lol:

btw grace, if you're still using audacity.. you can simply click and select the parts that you're not singing in and then go to 'Edit' -> 'Silence'. That will erase the sound from the selection. Most programs will have a 'silence' feature.

• Moderators

Do these lines still need t be done?

So different now from what it seemed

Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

I would be more than happy to do them. And any others if needed. (:

These lines haven't been chosen yet. I guess you can feel free to do them too.

• Members

I'm just bringing this to everyone's attention. We are introducing distortion, and I am guilty of it too. When adding a voice track to a preexisting recording the signals add, and the total amplitude can go off scale.

We might, before uploading to picosong, open our mp3 recordings in recording software and check for off scale parts. If there is saturation then reduce volume of tracks and export to mp3 again. Check if the signal is within range limits.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328511[/ATTACH]

attachment.php?attachmentid=328511&d=129

• Moderators

lol yeah. this is true.

you should do a test recording first and see whether or not your loudest note is peaking the signal. If so then just adjust your MIC volume before you do a real recording. Adjust it so that the loudest note is somewhat under the peak volume. Then after recording, then adjust your track's output volume so that the overall song doesn't peak and distort. And for the empty unsung parts of the track, click and select them and then go to 'Edit -> Silence'. This will reduce the hiss in the recording.

what kinda mics are you guys using?

• Members

Well.........I would but not exactly flush with funds. Plus it'll be hard to find a good one here. I'll try Zongo Lane tomorrow if my exam really has been postponed or Monday if it's not. The annoying thing too is that I'll have to go twice, once to see what's on offer and again to actually buy something after researching what they've got.

Up-side is that every price is bargainable there.

• Moderators

Well.........I would but not exactly flush with funds. Plus it'll be hard to find a good one here. I'll try Zongo Lane tomorrow if my exam really has been postponed or Monday if it's not. The annoying thing too is that I'll have to go twice, once to see what's on offer and again to actually buy something after researching what they've got.

Up-side is that every price is bargainable there.

Yeah I hear ya.

But anyway, I recommend you get something that is an acceptable professional level. You should think of it as an investment down the road. The Shure SM58 is a good microphone ($90-110) that you could probably use for the rest of your life. lol. Its more of a live performance mic, but I've used it for quite sometime. Or you can look into getting a budget priced large condenser mic. Which was what I used to record my parts. And along with a mic you should get a audio interface (decent one ranged: $100-200).

• Members

Ouch, my wallet is morphing into something resembling a raisin.

Large condenser mic? Check. I'll look for those first, I'll be doing a lot more recording than live performing I think. I was reading up on recording and mics since your last comment, do you suggest I make my own Pop filter or are store bought noticeably better? I might have to skip the audio interface for now. I don't have that kind of cash to spare, not yet anyway. I've still got Christmas gifts to buy.

My "Sing Star" mic came with a jack that takes it's huge input (like a 3.5 headphone input but a lot bigger) and converts it to USB. Will that be ok for now and does it affect the signal?

• Moderators

I think a pop filter isn't really necessary. I have one, but I almost never use it. Sometimes it can weak plosives so much that it worsens your diction. An easy solution for that is to step a bit farther away from the mic. Or aim your mouth a bit over or under the diaphragm pickup part. The audio interface is pretty necessary though. The mic and interface are like 2 components in 1 really. The audio interface boosts the mic's signal and allows it to be processed by your computer. It basically links the mic to your computer. I recommend that you save up for both of them together. I use to use the M-Audio Fast track ($100) for years, it was pretty good, together with a SM58. I've used them together for quite a few years. It was adequate for these purposes.

An audio interface along with a professional quality will have a more balanced signal with less noise and hiss, etc. And will sound more clear and more true to your real voice sound.

• Members

Do most mics have the 6.35/1/4" jack? If they do I can use the interface from my old mic.

Just checked, the SM58 doesn't, I'll have to try for a mic with this adapter because I can't afford the interface and mic at the same time and I' kinda excited bout getting a new mic now so I don't really want to wait.

I can be sooooooooo impatient.

• Moderators

A professional mic is almost always a XLR (the 3 prong) adapter. You can get an adapter to convert the XLR to a 1/4", but the signal will be weak and will need a mic preamp to boost the signal. However audio interfaces DO have 1/4" inputs though. So you can get a okayish 1/4" mic and combine it with a decent interface.

• Members

what? no

it doesn't matter if you get a patch cord of XLR->1/4 or XLR->XLR. it's the same once its plugged into the input as long as you select the correct impedance on the sound card device.

mic -> cord -> USB sound card -> computer

if you buy another cheap piece of {censored} mic again i will kill you.

Archived