Any screamers here..?

BMTHataAILD

• Members

WHOA!!! Hold Everything.....

I just found out that BMTHataAILD is...wait for it...wait for it....

Jersey Jack Junior! :eek: Yup, I can hear him typing away in the next room!

Actually, I'm proud. He doesn't like my cowboy folkie sh#t, but he's got the music going on. :cool:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The mentioned artists either use vocal fry or false cord screams.

Vocal fry, in my opinon, is more of a wannabe thing to do (seeing as bloody every kid knows how to do it in my city.) It is achieved by creating overtones by adjusting the shape of your pharnx. To get the initial sound... try imitating taking a dump.

False cords have a much rawer, more 'br00talz' sound. Start off with a 'heavy sigh'. You may also want to look into kargyraa throat singing which blends with false cords with a true vocal tone to create a huge raspy sound (playing with this sound may help you develop your scream.)

• Members

That would be vocal fry.

And it's not wannabe. That's pretty ignorant thinkin man.

Let me look for a video today......I'll see if I can find anything....but it's probably just something you have to try. It wont be very loud...i'm telling you now....but with a mic and some practice...it will grow into a strong powerful sound.

• Members

to make the fry sound is like elmer fudd voice.....

crackly, morning voice. Not exactly sure how to explain that though.

I get that initial sound and how to make it... It's slowing down a hum till it you hear plenty little cracks. However I don't know to transform that into a scream, how to distort.

• Members

I get that initial sound and how to make it... It's slowing down a hum till it you hear plenty little cracks. However I don't know to transform that into a scream, how to distort.

This is my exact problem, I can do the slowed down hum, but I can't get it into a scream.

• Members

curl your tongue up a bit and kind of slowly let it uncurl while doing the crackle sound. Start with an "RRRR" sound (curled up tongue...not all the way though)and kind of transition into a sort of.."RRRRRHHHHHHHEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

if that makes any sense.

Maybe I'll try and make a vid for ya since I can't find any good ones yet.

• Members

It's a bit like pushing air through the crackle. the more air you push through that space, the louder, more brutal it sounds. HOWEVER, you don't need too much air pushing through OVERALL. Just enough to make the sound. Also, if you push too much air...you'll run out real quick. Use your diaphragm to push the extra reserve air from.

http://www.melissacross.com/melissa_cross_vocal_solution01.php

http://www.melissacross.com/melissa_cross_vocal_solution03.php

• Members

I personally like to warm up my cords with a band called "Ghost Machine". The singer sings correctly and forces me to push from my diaphragm to sound right. He also has some drawn out screams in there which i feel are good to warmup to. His name is Ivan Moody.....the singer currently for Five Finger Death Punch.

• Members

.."RRRRRHHHHHHHEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

OR____

"YYYYYYYYYYHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH"

After you get that, you can move along to the:

"oooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo"

I guess I'm gonna have to make a video now.......just to explain this.

Unless....U got It.

• Members

Thanks for all the advice! I looked at the youtube video suggested, it worked to some extent, but when I do it the top part of my throat feels like its burning (I guess? can't explain the feeling well). So is this an issue of not drinking enough? Or does this video simply suck and/or I'm doing it wrong?

I'm still open to suggestions for starting songs and would like some more good tutorial links, thanks!

IF IT BURNS.....STOP! YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

:cop:

You probably figured that out by now though.:thu:

• Members

IMO, Death Metal vocals really can't be taught, you gotta learn how to do it on your own.

To be honest, I started off screaming in the way that's kind of damaging to your voice and one day I learned how to do a really {censored}ty "growl" vocals.

After that I just practiced and practiced and my ability to manipulate and properly sustain the growl came to me over time, consistently increasing.

And once again, by accident I learned how to do "gurgle" vocals, and again practicing allowed me to gain more control over it.

It's all about practice and breath control.

All of this ended up in my having what I think are pretty good DM vocals.

Everyone seems to naturally have their own unique sound, as well.

Noone can just "choose" to sound like their favorite Death Metal vocalist.

I remember when I listened to a {censored}load of deathcore and wish I had one of those more core-ish sounding vocal textures but no matter how I tried I would always sound like an old school DM vocalist (Suffocation, Morbid Angel).

Course now I don't mind it at all.

:D

Here's an example of some of my vocals:

Growls:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1008254&songID=8360424

My vocals begin at about 3:03.

Gurgles:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1008254&songID=8660721

• Members

The problem with the Zen of Screaming series is that really its a "how to tone down your scream so you dont hurt yourself" DVD. Not a "how to scream" DVD.

It doesent teach you how to get a nasty sound, it teaches basic singing stuff that you can USE to manage an already nasty sound into something that wont hurt or damage you.

Its not really for clean singers looking to get dirty, its for dirty singers looking not to blow themselves out.

For "how to get dirty" examples theres a good half hour mp3 lesson called secrets of screaming that I picked up. But really most of the advice boils down to "do regular scales slowely getting more grindy but being careful to keep most of your body loose."

There is a little tension required to get that kind of song but you need to learn how to dump it safely as soon as its not neccesarry. Like the difference between clenching and unclenching your fist briefly and keeping it clenched for a full minuite.

• Members

I don't know how to scream in a song.

I only know how to do the full on horror movie blood-curdling scream at the top of my lungs (which I'm good at *preening* lol)...but I expect the more sung rock metal scream whatever...that'd be more like...closing off your throat or something to strangle the scream...somehow? I really don't know.

I have no idea why, but i'd really like to hear your rendition of the typical horror movie scream.lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived