Slap, Tap & Stuff: The Dark Slide Video Thread !

Dark Slide

• Members

Originally posted by timmerz

Were we not supposed to express our appreciation in this thread? Is that what someone earlier suggested?

Downloaded and saved, DS....

Good start for me!

Thanks!

Go ahead an post whatever.

Any suggestions as far as the video goes... or does this look like a format that will work well? I will make an attempt to use multiple angles to help people see what I am doing if this works ok.

Suggestions are extremely welcome, and I will start on the next video.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by tylytle

That's pretty cool of you to do this.

Is there a way to slow speed through some of it? I don't know if windows media player has a slow speed option.

I believe I might be able to find a way to slow the framerate down.

What part were you talking about specifically. This was just an intro video to see how it worked out. I will make sure to go more in depth in future videos.

• Members

Just slow speed on anything that may be of importance. Maybe like what you are doing with your right hand. Maybe just one lesson being slow. Some dumbasses like me might need to get a good view of what is actually going on.

I never wanted to learn slap. But since you are doing this, I figured what the hell.

• Members

I think what he's getting at, and I'm pretty sure you were gonna hit this anyway, was to play a fairly difficult 4 beats and then break it down for us, so we can see exactly what each damn finger on the right hand is doing throughout the entire process....

The left hand that most of us have is used to doing off-the-cuff stuff, command-on-the-fly, so to speak, but our right hands are not used to doing anything out of the normal realm, and desperately need to be re-trained....

• Members

Originally posted by timmerz

I think what he's getting at, and I'm pretty sure you were gonna hit this anyway, was to play a fairly difficult 4 beats and then break it down for us, so we can see exactly what each damn finger on the right hand is doing throughout the entire process....

The left hand that most of us have is used to doing off-the-cuff stuff, command-on-the-fly, so to speak, but our right hands are not used to doing anything out of the normal realm, and desperately need to be re-trained....

Yeah. I will get into it. Like I said, this was just a test to see how the cam picked up the motions, what I could do as far as angle goes, how the sound was, etc etc. I am not going to get into any super complicated stuff right off, but I will work up to it. I got some good basic exercises to work on and whatnot.

Assuming this video seems like it is good enough, I will move on.

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Slide

Yeah. I will get into it. Like I said, this was just a test to see how the cam picked up the motions, what I could do as far as angle goes, how the sound was, etc etc. I am not going to get into any super complicated stuff right off, but I will work up to it. I got some good basic exercises to work on and whatnot.

Assuming this video seems like it is good enough, I will move on.

Yeah the quality is great!

• Members

Wow, very nice Darkslide. Yes, the quality is great, the sound is great and the angles you use with the looking down the fretboard is fantastic.

You were talking about hand position, and I notice you're sitting while doing this. When standing and playing about where do you sling your bass? Way down low on your knees like some guys do, or right up under your chin like others? Or just about mid way so you can keep that hand angle?

Thanks again for the time and effort you've put into something you could have easily have charged for. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Goofball Jones

Wow, very nice Darkslide. Yes, the quality is great, the sound is great and the angles you use with the looking down the fretboard is fantastic.

You were talking about hand position, and I notice you're sitting while doing this. When standing and playing about where do you sling your bass? Way down low on your knees like some guys do, or right up under your chin like others? Or just about mid way so you can keep that hand angle?

Thanks again for the time and effort you've put into something you could have easily have charged for.
:thu:

Hey! Now THAT is a great point!

I have my bass reasonably high but not enough to change my hand position.

nick3.jpg

• Members

The clip was good. Good video and audio. Another thanks for doing this! :thu:

As for the slow down. I believe Premiere Pro has this functionality. I at least recall a friend showing it to me. It can also keep audio at the same pitch while slowing it down. Probably not a bad thing so people can play along with the slower version for a bit to get the hang of the technique.

• Members

Great video. I can't figure out what your doing or how to play it but the "why" you do things is very helpful. Also what you do is very cool. I don't think I would have thought about strumming while slapping. It's nice to see different techniques. I don't often get to see what or how others play so it was helpful.

Quality is great too.

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by willsellout

Great video. I can't figure out what your doing or how to play it but the "why" you do things is very helpful. Also what you do is very cool. I don't think I would have thought about strumming while slapping. It's nice to see different techniques. I don't often get to see what or how others play so it was helpful.

Quality is great too.

Dan

Ditto. Good video, but it's hard for me to tell exactly what it is and how you are doing what you are doing.

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

Ditto. Good video, but it's hard for me to tell exactly what it is and how you are doing what you are doing.

Well, I was not trying to explain anything but my hand position in that video. I will get into more detail in upcoming videos.

I wonder if I can manage to put tab at the bottom :)

• Members

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted a new vid yet. I JUST started school again this week and the day I was supposed to start my psych class, I found out my advisor {censored}ed everything up and I can't take it... so I got droped in a Sociology class that is REALLY confusing. There were 20 questions posted on the messageboard the FIRST day about people not understanding what we were supposed to do, etc etc.

I will get into the swing of things soon enough though, and will try to get the next vid posted soon. Going to be on basic right hand technique and the 3 basic elements of slapping.

Bonus points for who can tell me what they are? :) Just for fun.

Archived