Slap, Tap & Stuff: The Dark Slide Video Thread !

Dark Slide

• Members
Originally posted by Fran da Man

Reading it the first time, i thought maybe you took it wrong Denson.

Reading it the second time, i thought maybe you're right.

Reading it a third time...i don't know what the hell it means
:confused:

lol

well

bassius: Would it be cool if i did a video or two?

DS: I'm all set i think, thanks

(which to me is nice for saying, uhm no, i dont want your crappy vids in my thread or i dont need help or whatever)
If i took it wrong then oh well. if i'm right then i'm staying out of this thread with vids.

I know a bunch of you want a video thread...maybe i'll make an upright bass technique video. or something...double thumping maybe?

we'll see...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Bassius

lol

well

bassius: Would it be cool if i did a video or two?

DS: I'm all set i think, thanks

(which to me is nice for saying, uhm no, i dont want your crappy vids in my thread or i dont need help or whatever)

If i took it wrong then oh well. if i'm right then i'm staying out of this thread with vids.

I know a bunch of you want a video thread...maybe i'll make an upright bass technique video. or something...double thumping maybe?

we'll see...

Yes! Please, just start another thread already!

Since you first asked you have gotten SIX responses saying "Yes Bassius, start another thread"!

Whenever I get a notification that this thread has been updated I am hoping to see another video or something useful, but it's just you talking to yourself. :rolleyes:

So go make a thread and post your videos already!

• Members
Originally posted by vanlatte

Yes! Please, just start another thread already!

Since you first asked you have gotten SIX responses saying "Yes Bassius, start another thread"!

Whenever I get a notification that this thread has been updated I am hoping to see another video or something useful, but it's just you talking to yourself.
:rolleyes:

So go make a thread and post your videos already!

LOL ok i will tonight!!

• Members

Originally posted by fivestringer200

would post a video .... Ive been waiting for a week now !

Sorry, I started school and I am trying to get into the swing of things. I should have time this weekend I think. I'll get some stuff up.

I am going to cover slapping, popping, muting or ghost notes... probably a little bit in popping with more than one finger and it's applications. I'll also do some basic exercises and how to apply them into music.

That is the plan. Sorry for the wait.

• Members
Originally posted by Dark Slide

Sorry, I started school and I am trying to get into the swing of things. I should have time this weekend I think. I'll get some stuff up.

I am going to cover slapping, popping, muting or ghost notes... probably a little bit in popping with more than one finger and it's applications. I'll also do some basic exercises and how to apply them into music.

That is the plan. Sorry for the wait.

No rush DS... after you post them we can use them for a long time and stuff.
:)

• Members

Just dl'ded the first vid. We have very similar slap/strum techniques (for when I need it) as I learned most of all that stuff on my own from watching Primus vids.

This is a good thread. I'll be working on that triplet stuff. Always wondered how Dickens did that.

• Members

hey darkslide...just wondering what your EQ settings are on your musicman...for your slap in the vid...(i have a similar set up bass I have a Warwick FNA Jazzman...) also wondering what type of strings your using...(don't need to know amp or that, just your bass eq and strings thanks...

• Members

Originally posted by ryhon

hey darkslide...just wondering what your EQ settings are on your musicman...for your slap in the vid...(i have a similar set up bass I have a Warwick FNA Jazzman...) also wondering what type of strings your using...(don't need to know amp or that, just your bass eq and strings thanks...

Hey there,

I am using some super cheap strings. I forget what they are. I got 5 sets of 5 strings for like $30. I use whatever is cheapest when I go to buy em.

I had no EQ. I was running straight into my computer.

• Members

There are a lot of tricks in it and it isn't extremelly complicated, even in the tapping part.

The basic move is left pointer 3rd fret E string with 1st joint on 2nd fret G string.
Left middle finger fingering on 5th fret E string.
He slaps with his thumb and pops G string with his middle finger it seems.
In the end he slaps E and pops A.

• Members

not too complicated. At least I don't think so. The framerate makes it hard to tell, he may be doing some double thumb stuff, but if he is, it's just for flash, because it isn't needed.

I actualy have time today, and I will make a quick video of this, and then move onto the next video in my bunch.

• Members

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/vanslappe.wmv

There you go. That should be pretty close.

I THINK the reason it's hard to tell what he is doing is because he is popping with his middle finger and not his index. Watch him closely.

Edit: I will make another quick video because it's possible that he is double thumbing the thumb part. So I can show you that.

Archived