Overdriven bass tone thread

phunkyhick

• Members

Originally posted by jpo259

WHAT!!!!???? I'm about as unemployed as a mother{censored}er can be right now!!!! And it SUCKS!!!! No, I have never had any contact whatsoever with Line 6. I bought a Bass POD back in late '99 early 2000. I like it!! I have, since then, wanted to get the rack-mount version. Well, last year, Iwas ready, and the XT model is out!! It blows away the old PODs', and it is very, very, VERY capable!! I have known for years that a POD being used in front of another amp/preamp, or through the effects loop, just doesn't cut it. BUT, using it as a dedicated preamp, or sending it staright to the house, or both, really lets it shine. So, I run mine through a QSC amp into Aquilar speakers. And it sounds fantastic! To get the variety of tones and effects I get with that, I'd need a grip of equipment. I agree with some who say it doesn't come close to sounding like, say, an Ampeg. I, personally, can't stand the Ampeg sound. So, my POD never tries to sound like an Ampeg!!! But, I can get such a diverse range of tones instantly. And effects. It is a very, very capable thing. And while I know that there are lots of bass players who rave about getting 'the perfect tone' with whatever combination of bass, amp, cab, and effects, I'm not one of them. The POD does allow me to get really, REALLY close approximations of just about any tone I hear. Chri Squire? No problem. Deep, fat, round low end? Next!!! Punchy, midrangy, with distortion?? Coming right up!!! ANYTHING I hear I can dial up in the POD. Once I have it 'dialed up', it's right at the tip of my foot to get it live with the floorboard. It'sa fun, capable.....thing!!!! But, working for Line 6????? I WISH!!!!!!
:D

Do you know the output level of the Pod?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by bassplayinguy

I wish people would be able to find out more about cliff burtons tone, Id love to know exaclty what kind of morley wah he used.

Morley Power Wah Boost. Use a Big Muff for distortion, although the BassDrive on the Boost channel gets pretty nasty, it doesn't have that Muff Sound. I wish I knew more specifics, but I'm hoping a Cliff worshipper will enlighten us.

• Members

Check out some Sonic Youth. Couldn't find much info, but here's what I could dig up. She's been using the Gibsons lately. Her pedal is the ProCo Rat.

Basses:

-Fender P

-Ric 4001

-Gibson THunderbirrd

-Gibson EB-0

Amps:

-Mesa/Boogie Bass 400 + 4x10 cab and a 1x15 guitar cab.

-Uses a tube DI box as well

Pedals:

-Jimi Hendrix octave divider

-wah

-ProCo Rat

• Members

Band of Gypsys, the record that changed {censored} for me. One of my very favorite overdrive tones. Unfortunately all I have to go on here is guesses from photos. I think he used both pick and fingers.

Bass: Fender Jazz and Fender P

Amps: I've seen him with what appears to be 2 SVT's stacked. In the liner notes for Band of Gypsys, it looks like he is using a couple of silverface Fender heads (possibly a Super Bassman? they are about that size).

I've seen other pictures in which he uses Marshall stacks.

• Members

He uses mostly a P-J through tube or tubelike amps and a SansAmp is his pedal weapon of choice. Check out "Pruno"

Live rig: Schecter DeLeo signature bass, Alembic F-1X, QSC power amp, Eden 10" and 12" cabs.

Core: Schecter J, G&L 2000 through an SVT 8x10

Purple: Live rig miked

Tiny Music: This is where he nailed it and created the DeLeo sound. His Schecter J is still the main bass, occasionally he used an Orlando Hollowbody or a P Bass, and a Ric 4001 on Art School Girl. Amps were a Marshall Plexi head/Marshall 8x10 keyboard cab, and a '59 Bassman with a 1x15" The Marshall is used for midrange.

No. 4: same setup as Tiny Music, SansAmp for some grind. Pruno is a good example of the Bassman/Plexi tone, and "Down" is the same rig with a little SansAmp.

Shangri-la-dee-da - Same as above, except that on "Lonely Again" and "Transmissions from a Lonely Room, the Moog-like distortion sound is a EHX bass synth.

• Members

Lots of distortion on Velvet Revolver. He's been a GK man all his career, and uses a Fender Jazz Bass Special.

He uses an MXR M-80 DI for overdrive, as well as a GK DieselDawg.

On the Velvet Revolver album, he used a Marshall 50 watt head and cab along with his GK 4x10 setup, blending the two signals according to the aggressiveness of the track.

• Members

Originally posted by phunkyhick

Lots of distortion on Velvet Revolver. He's been a GK man all his career, and uses a Fender Jazz Bass Special.

He uses an MXR M-80 DI for overdrive, as well as a GK DieselDawg.

Well, he got the bass right at least....

PJ's take to effects very well. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by lug

Do you know the output level of the Pod?

No, not off hand. The owners manual is about 45....miles from where I sit right now. Line 6 website might have info......or,.......is this a trick question??!!:rolleyes:;)

• Members

No, not off hand. The owners manual is about 45....miles from where I sit right now. Line 6 website might have info......or,.......is this a trick question??!!
:rolleyes:;)

Nope. The pandora only puts out about a volt so while the will drive a power amp, they wont drive it to it's max. I use a cheap Beringher Eurorack $59 mixer in between. I was wondering if the Pod's output was hotter.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

Nope. The pandora only puts out about a volt so while the will drive a power amp, they wont drive it to it's max. I use a cheap Beringher Eurorack $59 mixer in between. I was wondering if the Pod's output was hotter.

I will find out tommorrow what the output voltage is. I use a Behringer Eurorack $79.00 mixer between my POD and amp! I don't do this to boost the POD signal, though. I use it to combine the two POD outputs and the output from my Demeter pre. Two preamps, 3 outputs, one poweramp!!

• Members

I will find out tommorrow what the output voltage is. I use a Behringer Eurorack $79.00 mixer between my POD and amp! I don't do this to boost the POD signal, though. I use it to combine the two POD outputs and the output from my Demeter pre. Two preamps, 3 outputs, one poweramp!!

Guinness voice on........

Brilliant!

....Guinness voice off

• Members

The POD does allow me to get really, REALLY close approximations of just about any tone I hear. Chri Squire? No problem. Deep, fat, round low end? Next!!! Punchy, midrangy, with distortion?? Coming right up!!! ANYTHING I hear I can dial up in the POD.

PODs can emulate any tone, but I'm a believer that digital effects do not have the dynamic response that an analog pedal can.

I am curious as to what you are considering the "Ampeg sound" that you don't like. I personally love the SVT's and especially the SVT-2 (i think I prefer my Mesa/boogie), but the other amps are a different story. And I do think power tubes make a difference. I'm not enough of an expert to quantify it though.

That said, the next great distorto tone is a POD tone.

By the way folks, please do fill in any knowledge you have on the subject of bass distortion. At some point, I will make a list of different distortion types, and who uses them. I'm hoping especially for some info on Geddy's rig, I don't have much in that department.

• Members

PODs can emulate any tone, but I'm a believer that digital effects do not have the dynamic response that an analog pedal can.

What do think about this??: running a POD into say, an ampeg using just the power amp section, like Ament does????

• Members

Incubus' new bassist. Nice tones on the new record. Often uses a pick with flatwounds.

Basses:

-Epi Jack Casady

-Fender Jazz

-Lakland Joe Osborn

-Lakland Bob Glaub

Amps:

-Mesa M-Pulse (he's used about all of them on tour, with 4x10 and 1x15 RoadReady cabs)

-He recorded mostly direct, with a Bass POD to get a little fuzz.

-He occasionally used an Orange Guitar amp to get serious distortion.

Effects:

Big Muff

Octave?

• Members

What do think about this??: running a POD into say, an ampeg using just the power amp section, like Ament does????

Ament does use the SVT preamp though, he slaves out the other sections. You could try it.

I'd really suggest trying an all tube amp, though. I can run direct into my computer and use RubyTube to get distortion, but it's just not the same.

Jeff moved from a lot of high powered fancy gear, and as his time went on, it got simpler and simpler. Riot Act was mostly just his P-Bass into his SVT and his SWR 6x10.

• Members

Bootsy is famous for using his space bass and the MuTron.

He's also used some serious fuzz, check his solo albums.

I'm pretty sure he favors the Big Muff. In the '70's he used Ampeg SVT's for amps and his space bass.

The space bass has had many different configurations in the way of pickups.

But for Bootsy, dial in a warm tone, hit the MuTron and have the Big Muff ready to solo.

• Members

I've found myself a nice distorted sound with my Mesa D-180. It's got cascaded inputs so you can get a pretty nice driven sound. I'm currently playing a P-Bass or a Gibson Les Paul Special 5 String (Active) through it. It's quite tough to dial the tone in though, and not footswitchable between the clean sound. so it's all or nothing :)

Anyone know what Robert Sledge of Ben Folds Five used to use? I know he was an ampeg/les paul man but I'm not sure what boxes he used.

• Members

I pit my rig together in anticipation of getting the 'big gig' with this rock opera I'm involved in. Certain realities, as I see them, were factored in. First, stage monitoring-I don't need an amp or cabs. Second-house-a mic'ed cab wouldn't cut it in as well as a clean, clear, strong signal from something like the POD in Vegas, I don't think. As direct as direct can be WITH some kind of tone shaping (POD) seems right to me. (In order to get what I am looking for-wide tone and effects selection in real time)

I put the Demeter in my rig (Dem. HBP-1) for a really good, clean tube-preamp bass tone between my fingers and the house. The POD is for all the colour.(Pre's are A/B'd) And I went this way becuase, at many, many large venue shows I have seen in the past two years, even with world-class bass tones like Yes and Rush, Dream Theatre, Journey, the bass was relativley indistinct. NOT album-clear in terms of tone and effects. I'm not saying it was all mud. Far from it. But not nearly as distinct as say, Roundabout off Fragile. It was such a pervasive 'problem' form my standpoint, that it really turned my off of finding that 'perfect' tone. An amp rig and effects work well in small to med. venues. After that, you're at the mercy of the FOH. I'll be playing a gig in a med. venue Friday night. The sound guy dug my sound last week (I was using an SWR SM-400 with an Aggie 212.). Anyway, I told him about the POD/Demeter rig, and he will be running it FOH Friday night. I will be hanging out with him listening (I'll be wireless). I have been waiting for a moment like this to kinda valididate my idea for this rig. And, I'm really looking forward to hearing how the POD comes across through a pretty decent tri-ampd' PA, which this place has. Sound guy sounds like he knows what he's doing, too. Should be fun. I am going to deliberatley choose some very different sounding POD patches in the middle of tunes to see if they come across FOH distinctly. That is what I wish to happen. Oh, and I'll be out front, crowd or not, when we play Yellow Ledbetter!!!

• Members

Let's see, Cliff Burton...

Early photos of Cliff Burton show him using a Sunn Beta through a mystery 2x15 head.

During this time he appeared to still be using an unmodified Rickenbacker 4001 (4003?) in Burgandyglo.

Later photos show him with either an Ampeg SVT 1540 cabinet (4x10 + 1x15) or an early Mesa Boogie Road Ready 4x12 and 1x15. I have also seen several pictures of what looks like a Mesa 1x15 in a side fill position.

During this period, I believe Burton used a Mesa D-180. The D-180 is visible in some older magazine interviews. A quick search of Google Image Search turned up nothing. I own a D-180, and the sound is pretty consistent with the Anesthesia - Pulling Teeth sound.

His bass of choice at the time, a modified Rickenbacker (same Burgendyglo?) with a Gibson EB mudbucker in the neck and a Jazz pickup in the bridge position.

Later I believe he went to a black Alembic Spoiler and, after that was stolen, an Aria Pro II.

As for effects, I believe the Morley Power Wah Boost is correct, or at least the most common myth. I can't find any photographic evidence of him using a Big Muff.

The cascading channels of the D-180 make a pretty mean distortion, as pointed out previously. I could believe either the Mesa and/or the Muff were responsible for Cliff's tone. I have three or four Big Muffs of various vintage and can get that sound from any of them. Again the D-180 helps.

I will look around for pics of early Metallica to back my claims. Either that or you can go hit up your hesher uncle (we all have one) and look at his collection of old Circus or Kerrang!

Would you believe I am not that big of a Cliff Burton fan? This is more of a demonstration if my misspent youth.

Hope this helps.

Archived