Overdriven bass tone thread

phunkyhick

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't have a lot of him, but this picture may be helpful to see what his effects are if anybody can identify them.

lh-11.jpeg

It looks like he has a Mesa/Boogie V-Twin pre in the pic, as well as a Moogerfooger.

I've seen him with a Gibson Ripper, a Les Paul Bass, a Fender Jazz, standard Fender P, and a Fender P special, and he's a picker.

I've seen him use the P's the most, though. He uses Ampeg SVT's and 8x10's. I'm guessing he just cranks them up live.

• Members

When push comes to shove, the only overdrive I'd want is the warm, mushy overdrive that Phil Lesh had on his rig in '74. If any of you are familiar with Dick's Picks 11 or 12 (one of those I think), he uses an overdrive in his brief solo on Other One that deeeeeeelicious. Killer.

For distortion, I like the crackly distortion that Flea gets on the opening of All Around THe World. It sounds like a fire breathing dragon.

I need some kind of fuzz pedal that will do both of these tones. Anyone help me get the wool out?

• Members

Originally posted by Andy Rontal

I need some kind of fuzz pedal that will do both of these tones. Anyone help me get the wool out?

I would suggest looking at the Fulltone BassDrive. It has a Boost channel that could get you the Flea sound, and also a standard channel that you can turn just a bit of overdrive on.

I've heard that it uses similar circuitry to the Tube Screamer, so it should produce some nice mild overdrive.

• Members

Originally posted by playlikeumeanit

heres one for you-

i would very much like to know what kind of things claypool uses when he plays his whamola. Theres some kind of crazy crazy envelope filter on it with some od. its a crazy sound.

Probably his Korg pedalboard. I think it is an AX300B or something.

• Members

Originally posted by phunkyhick

I would suggest looking at the Fulltone BassDrive. It has a Boost channel that could get you the Flea sound, and also a standard channel that you can turn just a bit of overdrive on.

I've heard that it uses similar circuitry to the Tube Screamer, so it should produce some nice mild overdrive.

The BassDrive is like the ultimate Tube Screamer. The Jacques Tube Blower is actually much closer, circuit wise, to the original TS-808. The Fulltone is about 3x what the 808 was, though.

• Members

I used to be completely obsessed with flea so i know a bit abt his stuff.

Im pretty positive that in his live rig he has a few more effects than mentioned previously. he has an odb-3 which you mentioned, a q tron(power of equality), a bass cry baby, and an mxr micro amp. And i think that instead of a mutron on sir psycho it was a bassballs?

• Members

Originally posted by playlikeumeanit

I used to be completely obsessed with flea so i know a bit abt his stuff.

Im pretty positive that in his live rig he has a few more effects than mentioned previously. he has an odb-3 which you mentioned, a q tron(power of equality), a bass cry baby, and an mxr micro amp. And i think that instead of a mutron on sir psycho it was a bassballs?

He does have all those but they aren't really distortions. He has a Bassballs, which was used on OHM. He no longer brings the wah on the road.

But I'm pretty damn sure that SIr Psycho was a Mutron with the batteries nearly dead.

• Members

yea i mean i know those arent all distortions, i was just adding some more to the rig you were giving, just in case people wondered what else was up there. you may very well be right about the mutron thing, but my band covered that song and i used a bassballs and it sounded just like it, so i had just always thought that he used that on the album. plus i had never seen a mutron listed anywhere in the gear lists ive found abt him. but u very well could be right

Archived