Sign in to follow this  
phunkyhick

Overdriven bass tone thread

In short, he uses detuned ESP basses with MM pickups and light strings, as well as 12 string basses, split into a Traynor Bassmaster YBA-1 for highs and Ampeg SVT's for lows.

More specifically:

Basses:

-Hamer 12 string

-Yamaha 12 string

-Yamaha BB 1200s 4

-ESP customs with Basslines APB-1 PU and high end booster circuits .040-.100 DR strings.

Amps:

A lot more can be seen here, Doug is a POD user live, too.

http://www.12stringbass.net/DougsRig.htm

I LOVE IT when I can say I know my gear!!! So, hereabouts this thread, I;ve been ranting about the POD and Pearl Jam. So, there I was...........had to get the 'Yellow Ledbetter' tone. So, I give the recording a listen and determine it's a fretless through a SansAmp. At the next gig, I dial up a decent amp model (Aquilar DB-750) and dial up what I think will be the best distortion effect model to do this with-'Bass Overdrive'. That was two weeks ago. So, phunkhick posts' all that Jeff Amnet stuff. Pretty certain he used a fretless and a SansAmp for that recording. Guess WHAT???? The 'Bass Overdrive' effect on the POD IS the SansAmp model!!!! Whoooo Hooooooo! My ears and gears be working!!!!!!

Originally posted by jpo259

I LOVE IT when I can say I know my gear!!! So, hereabouts this thread, I;ve been ranting about the POD and Pearl Jam.

I'm hoping we can make this thread a sticky in the FAQ. I'm going to add a few more bassists, and then make a list of links to pedals and a list of users for each.

Hey, phunkyhick, would you like a run-down of the distortion and overdrive boxes the POD emulates??????? Heck, I'm just gonna give it to ya, anyway!!

Tech 21 Bass SansAmp

Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-808

'70s' ProCo Rat

'60s' Fuzz Face

Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi

Tychobrahe Ovtavia/fuzz

Meastro Bass Brassmaster

ALL of these different effects have different adjusting abilities based on the real thing. ALL of these effects have a distinct sound to them. And all of them are fun to experiment with in conjunction with the modeled amps and cabs and other effects. I had no problem getting a Ament tone using the Bass POD Pro XT. And I went with a combination of things that pretty much emulated what he actually used. And it sounds 'right'!!!!!! Fun, fun, fun!!!!!!!!!

Here are some bassist with great overdriven tones that you should check out:

Peter Hook (Joy Division):

Rick copy w/ pick thorugh an overdriven Hiwatt, through a vox 2x15 I think. Listen to the songs "Glass" and "Digital" for some great bass tones.

Scott Reeder (The Obsessed, Kyuss, Unida, GoatSnake):

Why this guy didn't make it into Metallisucks when they were looking for a bassist is beyond me... he would have added that mean ass fingerstyle groove like only Cliff could have, anyhow,

In the Kyuss years he used a Rick thorugh 2 cranked vintage SVTs, through a 810 and a 215---AMAZING TONE!

Nowadays he uses the same amps/cabs but with a custom built Ibanez ATK.

Do yourself a favor and go buy the albums: Sky Valley, & The Circus Leaves Town... -- you'll thank me.

--

Also, check out the band SLEEP for some amazing, overdriven Sabbath-esque bass playing, eh, the guitars and drums arn't bad either =

Claypool has always had this weird ass tone, that always sounds good. I'm not a big fan of virtuoso bass playing, but I dig Les, simply because it sounds so ridiculously weird that it works, IMO. Les is like the modern day Black Sabbath.

In short, Carl Thompson 4 and 6 stringers into tube preamps, sansamp, and a multi-fx.

Basses: CT 4 and a fretless 6. I saw him use a Ric to play "Taxman" at a Frog Brigade show. He strings the 4's with two .80 strings, and two .40 strings

90's: ADA MP-1 pre into Mesa Boogie 400+ (direct out for recording), into Mesa 2x15. He later used only the ADA to go direct.

1999: Les began using an AMpeg SVT-3 instead of the Boogie

Frog Brigade (phenomenal tone): CT 4 string and NS Design 5 electric upright into Sansamp BDDI, Korg Toneworks AX300B (weird {censored}, not distortion) into an SVT-3, and a PR-410H. Settings on SVT-3 are gain 5 bass 3 mid 4 frequency 4 treble 1 master 9 tube gain 4.5, W-shaped EQ curve

Oysterhead: Recorded with same setup as above

Recent Primus: Same amp and bass setup (although he also hada Kramer 8 string), Line 6 DM4, as well as some vintage EHX and Korg stuff.

i picked up my self a create BT50 bass amp, it came with distortion :D i got a really good tone out of it, full shape and 3/4 gain, how ever the E string isnt good for it... it just creates static... its good mainly for the A, D and G string

(pulling teeth :D)

it sounds like guitar

Originally posted by jpo259

POD XT outputs are -10dbV, FYI!!

Thanks for the info!

Pioneer in split signal bass tone.

Basses: Lots of them, but basically it boils down to Fender P, Gibson Thunderbirds (WHo's Next), and whatever the latest advancement in bass technology was, he had it. In late '75 he started playing Alembics. Then he started playing all graphite basses.

Amps: He started with 50 watt Marshalls, switched to Hiwatt all-purpose amps, and split his signal, one set for bass, one for guitar like tone. He then switched to Sunn Coliseums. He switched to Ashdowns not too long before he died, and was working with a 3-way split rig with a Trace Elliot v8 for mids, Line6 Guitar POD for highs all ran through Ashdown 2x12's

Originally posted by mench

Anyone know what Robert Sledge of Ben Folds Five used to use? I know he was an ampeg/les paul man but I'm not sure what boxes he used.

That would be a green russian big muff pi

Originally posted by phunkyhick

Pioneer in split signal bass tone.

Basses: Lots of them, but basically it boils down to Fender P, Gibson Thunderbirds (WHo's Next), and whatever the latest advancement in bass technology was, he had it. In late '75 he started playing Alembics. Then he started playing all graphite basses.

Amps: He started with 50 watt Marshalls, switched to Hiwatt all-purpose amps, and split his signal, one set for bass, one for guitar like tone. He then switched to Sunn Coliseums. He switched to Ashdowns not too long before he died, and was working with a 3-way split rig with a Trace Elliot v8 for mids, Line6 Guitar POD for highs all ran through Ashdown 2x12's

He only used thunderbirds from quadrophenia on. Who's Next was all on his P.

bd_lg.jpg

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few of them, but I'm going to go through some of the distortion devices, and also put my own reflections on the ones with which I've had experience with. I'll start with the Fulltone BassDrive.

Users:

Jeff Ament

Jack Bruce

Tom Hamilton

I have this pedal, and personally think that it does a DeeDee Ramone style overdrive quite nicely. It does have a bit of a trebly hiss to it. If your bass has somewhat of a hocking sound in your throat, this pedal will bring it out. Not that it is a bad thing, not my preference though. I wish it was more growly and less hiss, but I still like it. I enjoy it, and think it is a great pedal. This is not the overdrive to get the Timmy C Audioslave sound, nor the smooth tube overdrive sound of James Jamerson. It does get pretty close to DeeDee overdrive, and the early Timmy C overdrive sound.

e_BigMuffPi.jpg

I have had this one for a while. It is really a Fuzz more so than an overdrive. The fuzz happens more in the midrange, and it is a heavy pedal, thick fuzz in the midrange, not very hissy. If you try to play some slap lines on the E string it will sound pretty muddy unless you keep the sustain way down. Some people say that this pedal sucks low end, my suggestion is to turn up the volume. This is by no means a mild fuzz, but it sounds awesome, especially if you have tubes in your signal chain to smooth it out.

Great for fingerstyle. Listen to Moog keyboard bass, and imagine that sound with even more nastiness and fuzz, and you've got the Big Muff.

Users:

Cliff Burton

Dirk Lance

Ben Kenney

Bootsy Collins

Bill Laswell

Chris Chaney

P-Nut

Most of the info I have here relates to Warning. He's a P-Bass guy, BAII bridges .045-.105 strings, and he's a picker.

Amps: For Warning, he used two Ampeg SVT's, one for clean sounds with Mullard preamp tubes and Svetlana power tubes, and another one with hotter bias with GE tubes in the pre and power sections. For the highs, he would use a Yamaha G100 guitar amp, which tended to be unreliable, and he would use a GK 800RB instead.

I've heard a lot of comments on Lateralus' bass sound, and it is quite distinctive.

The Bass is a Wal 4 stringer.

Lateralus was recorded with 3 bass signals, one direct through Demeter pre. Clean tone was a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ through an 8x10, Overdrive was with a Mesa M-2000 through an 8x10. His distorto boxes were a ProCo Turbo Rat, and Sansamp GT2.

bass_driver_image.jpg

This is a popular pedal. The trick I discovered was to keep the treble high and the presence low. The presence is more like a super treble knob, it can get really piercing. Not my style, but not a bad thing. You need the treble knob up about 2/3 of the way to really appreciate this distortion. The distortion it provides is very mild, and it doesn't get real dirty. I had to run it on 100% blend and 100% Drive, however the sound it provided once I found the right balance between the knobs, it was beautiful, although I was left wanting just a smidgen more.

This pedal was used on "Down" by STP, however you cannot get that nasty nasal honk with this pedal alone, as he ran it through a couple of classic tube amps, cranked.

If you want a smooth, warm overdrive and don't want to lug the real thing (i.e. TUBE AMPS :D) around, this pedal is a fine option to run as a preamp or a mild distortion. You'll need something else for serious distortion though.

This pedal and the last three mentioned are a fine example of different terminology, the Sansamp is an Overdrive, the Bassdrive is more of a Distortion, and the Big Muff is a Fuzz.

Users:

Geddy Lee

Justin Chancellor

Jeff Ament

Robert DeLeo

Les Claypool

Doug Wimbish

Melissa Auf Der Mar

rat2.jpg

Users:

Justin Chancellor (TurboRat)

Kim Gordon

Tony Kanal

Krist Novoselic (Check out "Breed")

http://www.procosound.com/ratindex.htm

I just got my TurboRat today, it IS a guitar pedal, but I did not detect an appreciable loss of bass, so yes it does work fine on bass. I think it is like the Big Muff in the bass response, you just turn it up a bit louder. A large reason to use distortion is to fill up more sonic space and be louder anyways. It sounds similar to the bassdrive, a little less sustain, less hiss, more growl. It is not as versatile as the Bassdrive, nor is it as crazy as the Muff. It may take the Bassdrive's spot on my pedal board, however I do really like the sound of flats through the Bassdrive.

ProCo says that the TurboRat has more gain and less sustain than the standard rat, and is the Rat of choice for bassplayers.

Originally posted by phunkyhick

I've heard a lot of comments on Lateralus' bass sound, and it is quite distinctive.

The Bass is a Wal 4 stringer.

Lateralus was recorded with 3 bass signals, one direct through Demeter pre. Clean tone was a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ through an 8x10, Overdrive was with a Mesa M-2000 through an 8x10. His distorto boxes were a ProCo Turbo Rat, and Sansamp GT2.

I didn't know that, but I do know a simpler way to get his tone.

First, you need a Stingray or similar instrument. I use a Cort GB-54. It needs stainless steel strings. Use a pick. Dial in a good slap tone on a GK amp with the boost knob turned up. I am serious when I say it was exactly the same as the recording of, say, "Schism." It sounded exactly like that opening bit.

m80_intro.jpg

This has just hit the market in the past couple of years. MXR's equivalent of Sansamp. It doubles as a DI, and is a pedal that I am interested in checking out.

Users:

Duff McKagan

Robert Trujillo

Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Chris Chaney

Jason Newsted

Twiggy Ramirez

Les Claypool