strings for drop tuning a 4-string bass?

mlwarriner

• Members

okay, the band i'm auditioning for thursday plays in drop-c tuning, and since i wasn't able to master the art of the 5-string bass, i'm sticking with a 4-string.

previous bands i've played in did drop-c# tuning (c#-g#-c#-f#) and a heavy 4-string set worked well enough, but there was some loss of sustain on the e-string, as it was tuned the furthest down. however, in the difference between c# and c, the loss of sustain, and the general floppiness of the e-string, has gotten much worse. i currently use SIT Powersteels, the heaviest set that juststrings.com has for sale.

my question is this: would there be serious adverse affects to replacing my e-string with a light gauge b-string and tuning it up to c instead of dropping my e down to c? if so, what?

please and thanks for any info available...

• Members

yeah i would definetly go for a low b string, and make sure the nut is wide enough. also make sure your bridge saddle can go back far enough before you start cutting the nut.

most b strings are a little "slack" anyway, so tuning one up to C would be perfect.

• Members

Originally posted by isaac42

Does anyone make a four string set heavy enough to do this?

the heaviest 4-string set i've found runs 50-110, and that's what i'm using at the moment...hence the idea of swapping out my heavy e for a light b and tuning it up...

dunno...

• Members

just buy a set for the fiver and hang on to the G. If you go back to EADG, then you'll ahve an extra.

Chevelle's Bassist has a 4-string tuned BEAD. Just know your truss rod may need some adjusting to keep the action from getting too high.

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

I bought a 5 string set and tossed out the G. I haven't touched the truss rod and I haven't had any problems.

:)

+1 The B string usually has slightly LESS tension on the neck if anything. When I BEAD'ed my T-40, I didn't even have to touch the truss rod.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

+1 The B string usually has slightly LESS tension on the neck if anything. When I BEAD'ed my T-40, I didn't even have to touch the truss rod.

Thats because its a T-40. Try doing it on a mexi P-bass, then come talk to me... ;)

• Moderators

The make won't matter much, if at all. As long as the diameter of the string is proportional for the frequency, the tension will be the same. As lug says, if anything, low B strings are too small, so less tension is on them.

• Members

Originally posted by Incubitabus

Thats because its a T-40. Try doing it on a mexi P-bass, then come talk to me...
;)

Hey, by BEAD bass is a Peavey too. I guess this could only mean...

Peavey > Fender

:p

• Members

Originally posted by sgt_politeness

Hint: Low B.

I don't understand. A low B string will exert less tension because even though it is thicker, it is tuned much lower (looser). Nobody complains about a floppy G string. How will a string that exerts less tension cause a bass to bow like a banana?

heh.

Floppy G string.

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

I don't understand. A low B string will exert less tension because even though it is thicker, it is tuned much lower (looser). Nobody complains about a floppy G string. How will a string that exerts less tension cause a bass to bow like a banana?

heh.

Floppy G string.

(I have now entered the Twilight Zone)

Okay.

He's talking about replacing his E string with a low B, but he's doing it to CREATE TENSION (not keep it floppy) as they tune to drop C# or drop C.

C...as in higher than B even.

Tension.

I give up.

Archived