Define "morals".

takeout

• Members

i guess it does depend on your opinion, but i think that it's a concience thing. i guess i really don't claim myself as a Christian, though i do read The New Testament. I don't understand thee Old Testament, and believe that there is a reason for it. If i can understand it, then i'll read it. I do believe in the Ten commandments as well, though shake my head at hipocracy these so called "Christian's" practice and really don't realize it! And religeon is a man made thing. Christianity has evolved so rapidly over 2000 years that i really don't think that everything was interpreted right. I also believe that these so called "Preachers" don't always preach the truth, they only preach how they percieve The Old and New Testament. I have my own perception, pray everyday now, and i feel fine, and happy!:D

• Members

Originally posted by Geddy'sFavHeadache

i guess it does depend on your opinion, but i think that it's a concience thing. i guess i really don't claim myself as a Christian, though i do read The New Testament. I don't understand thee Old Testament, and believe that there is a reason for it. If i can understand it, then i'll read it. I do believe in the Ten commandments as well, though shake my head at hipocracy these so called "Christian's" practice and really don't realize it! And religeon is a man made thing. Christianity has evolved so rapidly over 2000 years that i really don't think that everything was interpreted right. I also believe that these so called "Preachers" don't always preach the truth, they only preach how they percieve The Old and New Testament. I have my own perception, pray everyday now, and i feel fine, and happy!
:D

I think you are expanding the topic too far when you get religion into it. Religion has too much tribal behavior involved with it, whereas I have always regarded "morals" to be transcendant.

Too much of religion involves Us versus Them. Morals should be something more personal.

• Members

Originally posted by Bluesman0511

I think you are expanding the topic too far when you get religion into it. Religion has too much tribal behavior involved with it, whereas I have always regarded "morals" to be transcendant.

Too much of religion involves Us versus Them. Morals should be something more personal.

i reckon, though i don't believe cheating on my own wife ( if i was married) is acceptional to God. I don't think he would like that. you guys do what you want, just don't piss in my tree;)

• Members

Originally posted by Geddy'sFavHeadache

i reckon, though i don't believe cheating on my own wife ( if i was married) is acceptional to God. I don't think he would like that. you guys do what you want, just don't piss in my tree;)

I think you misunderstand me. I think what is missing in organized religion is the personal relationship with the almighty, however He is perceived. This personal relationship may be taught and encourage by formal religion, but it exists only on a personal level between a man/woman and God with or without religious reference. This personal level is where morals exist.

• Members

A large painting with an "o" instead of a "U"

You should make the world a better place instead of a worse place.

Which means don't rob, cheat, kill, rape, insult others.

Just about anything that doesn't relate to that kind of thing is not morals, it is something that people don't approve of that ultimately has nothing to do with them. But hey, they need something to crusade about.

Outspoken pro-lifers, outspoken anti-gay, and hardcore religious organizations enjoy the controversy, and like having something to bitch about.

It just wouldn't be as much fun to be a moral crusader against corporate robbery, murder, or liquor store holdups. Because most people would be thinking "Duh."

• Members

I think morals are actions, intentions or principles that are in accordance with a virtue, where a virtue is defined as some acceptible social behavior (and is therefore possibly universal amongst all humans or an amplified virtue particular to a society, for example, humility in Japanese culture).

The issue at conflict is that we all define what are the most important virtues to ourselves and our society subjectively. And things that, in one society, seem morally impermissible, are completely acceptable ways of life in another. For instance, I recall reading not too long ago about a girl who was going to be put to death in the middle east (I want to say Saudi Arabia) for committing adultery, and one of the leading advocates for this punishment was her own brother. Within that society, that act (the execution) is somehow morally permissible, while most westerners would cringe at the idea.

I'm not arguing moral relativism, BTW. I think the example above is wrong; just explaining how it can come about.

//S

• Members

Doing whatever the hell you please as long as you're not stepping on anyone elses toes IMO. The problem with this though, is the variance in toe sizes. For example, when my conservative old man decided how big his toe size was, he chose infinite.

• Members

The Golden Rule or the ethic of reciprocity is found in the scriptures of nearly every religion. It is often regarded as the most concise and general principle of ethics. It is a condensation in one principle of all longer lists of ordinances.

Christianity: All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets.

Matthew 7:1

Confucianism: Do not do to others what you would not like yourself. Then there will be no resentment against you, either in the family or in the state.

Analects 12:2

Buddhism: Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.

Udana-Varga 5,1

Hinduism: This is the sum of duty; do naught onto others what you would not have them do unto you.

Mahabharata 5,1517

Islam: No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.

Sunnah

Judaism: What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellowman. This is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary.

Talmud, Shabbat 3id

Taoism: Regard your neighbor

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

I think the Golden Rule is a bit flawed.

I prefer something a bit different.

Instead of "Treat people the way you would like to be treated" I go with "Treat people they way
they
would like to be treated."

No, it's really supposed to be: "Be excellent to eachother."

:D

• Members

Instead of "Treat people the way you would like to be treated" I go with "Treat people they way
they

I don't think a lot of the women I've met would go for this. Plus, masochists would have a field day.

• Members

So, you say a woman rather you treat her the way you want to be treated instead of the way she wants to be treated?

Men treating women as men?

Women treating men as women?

GIRLS WHO ARE BOYS

WHO LIKE BOYS TO BE GIRLS

WHO DO BOYS LIKE THEY'RE GIRLS

WHO DO GIRLS LIKE THEY'RE BOYS

ALWAYS SHOULD BE SOMEONE YOU REALLY LOVE

• Members

So, you say a woman rather you treat her the way you want to be treated instead of the way she wants to be treated?

Men treating women as men?

Women treating men as women?

I dated a girl once who got the idea that she wanted to treat me like a woman. I kicked her out and never spoke to her again. Who knew strap-ons were that big in real life?:eek:

;):D

• Members

Originally posted by Bonoman

I dated a girl once who got the idea that she wanted to treat me like a woman. I kicked her out and never spoke to her again. Who knew strap-ons were that big in real life?
:eek:

;):D

Ahh, the ol' Flip-n-{censored}.

• Members

they

OKAY!!! The way I would like to be treated is...

I would like everyone to defer to my opnion ( no matter how outrageous that is ).

BTW - thanks for al of the various readings of the "ethic of reciprocity)...

Archived