bass setup ( bass and some sort of amplification) advice needed

MintyTurtle24k

• Members

Hey guys!

I'm mainly a guitarist, but I'd like to get my hands on a decent bass setup both for recording and performing. I didn't wnat to spend too much money. Currently I just use a bass that my friend gave me into my guitar vamp into my computer for recording. I was thinking of maybe getting a brice or sx bass from rondomusic ( i love their agile guitars) and getting a rackmount Behringer bass v amp for recording and hooking it up to a cab for playing out with. Do you guys have any specific suggestions? I don't want anything too fancy, but something that will sound decent. Thanks!

• Members

SX/Brice are a good choice for a bass.

Is the Behringer just a preamp or is it an actual amp? I can't remember offhand. If its just a pre you'll need a power amp (more $).

Try Peavey or GK heads off of Ebay. GK 400RB heads often go for under $200. They are a good little amp as well.

Pair it with an Avatar cab. www.avatarspeakers.com. You don't want to use your guitar cab-bass frequencies rape guitar speakers to death. The 2x12 Avatar is a good stand-alone cab.

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

SX/Brice are a good choice for a bass.

Is the Behringer just a preamp or is it an actual amp? I can't remember offhand. If its just a pre you'll need a power amp (more $).

Try Peavey or GK heads off of Ebay. GK 400RB heads often go for under $200. They are a good little amp as well.

Pair it with an Avatar cab.
www.avatarspeakers.com.
You don't want to use your guitar cab-bass frequencies rape guitar speakers to death. The 2x12 Avatar is a good stand-alone cab.

+1!

• Members

Originally posted by MintyTurtle24k

I believe the vamps are just preamps

Then if you don't need the effects you find in the V-Amp, a good choice would be a SansAmp Bass Driver I guess... Some people here have does and like them alot.

• Members

150321.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/150321/

$49

plus

482052.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=live/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/482052/

$179

+

b212brightness.jpg

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

$320 shipped

$600 total for a rig that can play anywhere. The korg wont quite drive the Nady to full power, but close enough. (I've used my Korg to drive my Mackie and the specs are about the same). To get the max output, for $35 you can drop this between the korg and the power amp:

631239.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=live/s=mixers/search/detail/base_pid/631239/

• Members

Originally posted by MintyTurtle24k

which gk head do you guys recommend?

IM still unsure of why I'm not going with teh vamp. Have any of you guys tried it?

The V-Amp is made by Behringer. That reason alone is enough reason for many of us to not use it, or even think about using it. And all modelling technology for bass is doomed to suck, unless you spend a lot of money, and the V-Amp is very cheap unit.

If you're going new with GK, I suggest either the Backline 600, or the 1001RB-II (with 300 and 750 watts, respectively). The Backline is $300 ($275 at Bass Northwest) and comes with free rack ears ($30-40 value from G-K, and I don't believe they are free with the Artist series), the 1001 is twice that ($600) at Riksmusic.com (free shipping, no taxes). The other steps for G-K are the 400RB-IV, 280 watts for $400; 700RB-II for $500 with 480 watts.

Since you're on a budget, go with the Backline head. It should serve you well.

• Members

I would avoid the V-Amp both because I've heard that it's not very good and because you can't use just that and a cab. In my opinion it would be a better option to buy an amp head with a DI for recording purposes along with a cab. Avatar do great deals on Ashdown heads when you buy one of their cabs, and an Ashdown Mag 300 head along with a 2x12 cab is a very reasonable and extremely versatile rig.

• Members

As much as I try not to interject negative reviews, since everyone's views on gear is different, I need to tell you guys something regarding the Nady XA-900.....

I bought one from Musician's Friend 2 years ago, and am now on my fourth unit, having had to go to their factory right here in the Bay Area (Emeryville, on the Berkeley border) to have things fixed, only to have them decide to replace the entire unit all three times....

Yes, their Customer Service is excellent, but I ended up going with a Carvin power amp and am now very happy, and no longer need to have a backup amp in case my main one breaks down, like it did so frequently.

If I lived farther away from their factory, it would have been an entirely different siuation, with BIG delays in getting the amp back, or a new one shipped...and my dissatisfaction would be a LOT bigger....

As it is, I sadly advise against the "great deal" that is the XA-900....

• Members

My GK 400RB-III came with rack mount ears, however they are currently on the -IV series and this may have changed.

The Ashdown MAG 300 is about twice what the GK 400RB is. Much nicer, warmer tone, and fuller as well. I prefer it over the GK.

Most of the GK amps are voiced pretty much the same. You are basically getting differences in power more than anything. The Backline isn't as clean as the RB amps but doesn't cost as much, either.

Most bass amps are pretty much flexible to any degree. I wouldn't use a cranked Ampeg SVT for jazz but a low-volume clean one could be quite nice.

Archived