How do you wire up a P-bass with just a single volume control (no tone knob)?

der oxenrig

• Members

Also, what kind of potenometer (sp?) should I get. The ones on my bass have been pretty {censored}ty, and just crapped out today. I'm gonna head up to Radio Shack later to pick up a new one (just for volume, don't really care about the tone knob), I just need to know what type and how to wire it. Thanks alot. All help is appreciated. :)

• Members

Originally posted by fretless

I have a Warmoth that has a single volume , but in the control cavity is a mini pot tone control that I had to add because there was an extreme extended high end , so much so that there was kinda of a pure static on the top , I found that adding the pot and cap brought it back to "normal" , then I still had the ability to control to amount of tone , set it and closed the control cavity , I don't know if all pickups do this but this single coil sure did . Just maybe another option for ya
;)

warmoth single knob

3p.jpg

Ok, that doesn't help me at all though, I need to know how to wire it.

• Members

+1. You won't find the kind of pots you want at RS, you'll have to find an electronics supply store that's a bit more refined. 10K will sound like {censored} and perform like {censored}.

You can order them direct from StewMac or Allparts, or find a dealer in your area (unless you live in Butt{censored}, Nebraska).

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

I need a better soldering iron first.

i'd recommend avoiding soldering guns. They tend to be much higher wattage than is necessary for the work you're doing. I have a friend that made the mistake of using one on his guitar wiring; i had to fix it for him.

• Members

Originally posted by mounds

i'd recommend avoiding soldering guns. They tend to be much higher wattage than is necessary for the work you're doing. I have a friend that made the mistake of using one on his guitar wiring; i had to fix it for him.

So what would you recommend using?

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

So what would you recommend using?

a soldering pencil, preferably a Weller since they are the best soldering irons that are on the market. Also, avoid the "cold heat" irons since they don't produce enough heat to get the job done. Another bad thing about the gun type irons is that the excess wattage can ruin your pickup.

I need to find a thread in the guitar forum that deals with wiring.

edit: this is the thread. You will need to sift through to find the useful information, but it is there.

• Members

Originally posted by Zebra

I must be missing something, can someone enlighten me as to why you wouldn't want any tone control on a P?

well, I guess everyone is their own person.

For instance, I usually have the tone controls maxed out on both of my single p pickuped basses.

• Members

Originally posted by Zebra

I must be missing something, can someone enlighten me as to why you wouldn't want any tone control on a P?

With all tone pots, other than the fender no-load, there is "some" treble reduction even when the knob is on 10.

If you like the way a bass sounds with the tone on 10, chances are you will love the way it sounds when the tone knob is taken out of the circuit completely.

• CMS Author

Regarding guns vs irons, and wattage; As long as the device can reach and maintain sufficient temperature to melt solder, and it has a tip that fits the work, then it's fine. Too low a wattage iron will not maintain temperature on larger items such as pots and stranded wiring, which tend to sink heat away from the soldering point. Bigger is usually better....you get in, heat the items, the soder melts in, and you get out quickly. If you have to hold the iron in place for more than 5 seconds, you run the risk of damaging the parts being soldered.

Archived