Recommend me some Zappa!

BEAD

• Members

Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation

Tinseltown Rebellion

Broadway The Hard Way has some good moments, particularly when Sting comes on to sing "Murder By Numbers"

Things You Can't Do On Stage Anymore Volume I has an unbelieveable version of "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow"

The video of "Does Humor Belong In Music?" is worth finding; great arrangements and performances of "Dinah Moe Humm," "Whipping Post" and "Bobby Brown"

• Members

For a Zappa neophyte, I'd suggest:

Apostrophe

Overnight Sensation

One Size Fits All

Joe's Garage

We're Only In It For The Money

A decent cross section of stuff that I would consider a nice introduction to the world of Zappa.

Don't start with something like Uncle Meat....:D

My faves along with the ones I listed are:

Sheik Yerbouti

Zoot Allures

Bongo Fury

Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch (best album cover ever :D)

Live in NY

Roxy&Elsewhere

..The You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series is full of gold live stuff.

Check out The Yellow Shark if you're interested in some mental orchestral stuff....

• Members

The video of "Does Humor Belong In Music?" is worth finding; great arrangements and performances of "Dinah Moe Humm," "Whipping Post" and "Bobby Brown"

Yes! Seeing Zappa in a live situation is amazing. I wish I'd have been able to see him in person but I was just getting into music when he passed away. It seems like he can pull insane solos from his ass anytime he wants. Not to mention his interaction with the band and audience. I'm gonna go listen to some Zappa now.

• Members

+1 on Roxy & Elsewhere, for the humor.

I LOVE Cheepnis. Especially because the 1950s sci-fi movie he rips on actually exists...I've seen it.

Favorite line from the album, one that I use all the time to this day:

"Would I lie to you? Have I ever seen you before?"

• Members

Joe's Garage has some amazing music on it, but after the 100th or so listen, the narration stuff gets a little old (for me anyway). I find myself fast forwarding through a lot of it.

Hot Rats is awesome for a taste of Zappa's pure genius--the instrumental tracks "Son of Mr. Green Genes" and "Peaches en Regalia" are just plain badass.

Sheik Yerbouti, Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation are all great, hilarious albums.

My personal favorite is One Size Fits All--great tunes, funny lyrics, and some great extended jams. "Pajama People" is a show-stopper...

• Members

Roxy & Elsewhere has some of the most amazing live ensemble playing you'll ever hear.

We're Only In It For The Money is a tour-de-force - definitive Zappa writing & production.

I've always been fond of Uncle Meat too. It's hard to miss - Frank left behind an amazing catalogue.

• Members

Over-Nite Sensation is probably my fave. Worth it for the George Duke keyboard solo on 'Inca Roads' alone.

Inca Roads was on One Size Fits All.

Get a hold of "The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life"

Also, Bongo Fury was a great album. Carolina Hard Core Extasy, The Muffin Man, and Poofter's Froth Wyoming Plans Ahead (sung by Captain Beefheart) being standout tracks.

• Members

My faves:

Sheik Yerbouti

Over-nite Sensation

There's some cool compilations out there too if you want a variety of Zappa from different eras.

I have Cheep Thrills, Son of Cheep Thrills, Strictly Commercial (Best of), Have I Offended Anyone Lately? and Zappa Picks (by Larry of Primus)

Archived