Does anyone know anything about this old gear?

james on bass

• Members

My uncle showed me this bass gear a couple of weeks ago. He found it in his Uncle's attic when they were clearing out the house after his death.

He played bass in bands from the mid-60's to early 70's.

The bass is a Stewart, made in Japan. Absolutely mint shape. The only thing I found about the company was that they went by the name "Stewart Drum Company" in the 60's & 70's.

The amp is a Riviera. All tube with a 15" speaker cab.

It was made in Canada. Has a guitar and bass input.

Sounded pretty good for it's age. Not sure if this was a Sear's catalogue special or what.

Is this stuff worth anything, or just old junk.

StewartHeadstock.jpg

Stewartbass.jpg

<brhttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/jamesonbass/Basses/RivieraAmp.jpg>

RivieraRig.jpg

• Members

I've heard of Rivera, but nothing more than a name drop so I don't know how good or bad they are.

The bass though... Not sure at all other than to notice that it's a short scale and totally bad ass.

Let us know how they sound for sure though.

• Members

Try this for a little info on the amp:

http://www.tone-lizard.com/Cobra_Amplifiers.htm

EDIT: I'm now realizing that page may or may not have info on your specific amp. FYI, the amp was made by Pepco, a.k.a. Pine Electronics out of Montreal, evidentlyl.

It seems that 725 Riviera amp has several incarnations, including the Rogue 725.

Dustin

• Members

The bass sounded really good. My uncle knew I was coming up so he quickly put on a new set of strings. Other than a quick set-up, the bass is totally ready to play. One switch was a little loose, but everything worked. I used it for awhile over the course of the weekend.

I don't think they are intersted in selling any of the gear. I just wanted to find out what they had.

• Members

The bass was marketed under about 20 different names, the main one that I know of was Univox. I think the amp was designed by the guy that used to design amps for Fender. It looks like a Bassman clone. The amp is probably worth a little more than the bass. I would rock 'em.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Your Uncle didn't happen to be a serviceman overseas was he? From a collector standpoint it would only fetch top dollar from someone who is specifically looking for that Bass or amp. Still, these are very cool specimens. The amp kind of makes me think of the Elko brand Fender ripoff. If it is the same type of amp the innards are very hinky but I've never seen one so I can't say. Good luck with your situation.

• Members

No, I don't believe my Uncle's Uncle was in the service. Just small town Ontario farmers.

I can't imagine they want to sell any of the gear, as they don't need the money and it obviously holds sentimental value. My uncle remembers seeing him play as a kid, and then to clean out the attic of his house and find the gear? I'll certainly bring up the topic of whether or not they want to keep the gear, and let you all know if they want to get rid of it. I've not much use or desire for the bass or cabinet, but that amp, especially with new tubes and freshened up since I last saw it 2 years ago, makes me crave some of that old school tubey mojo.

Archived