Best wood for solid body bass ?

Daryl Chaney

• Members
I'd opt for Bubinga, a light version of Mahogany. Contrasting woods look cool IMO and Ash is so done.

Bubinga has nothing to do with mahogany, and it's not light, either, at least not in terms of weight. :confused:

From my discussions with Pete Skjold, alder tends to emphasize the midrange, while ash tends to have less midrange presence and more emphasized lows and highs. Mahogany tends to have less treble presence (although it's still pretty good) and a stronger low end and midrange.

If you're looking for something from Fender, I'd look for a bass with an alder body.

• Members

There is no "best" wood.

I used to own a Gibson RD - maple body, maple neck. Had a grand piano bass tone that Entwistle would had loved. Great for rock.

The RD got replaced by my MIM Jazz alder body maple neck because I was starting to pick up slap-n-pop and the RD doesn't do that. The jazz has a little better midrange bark that sits in the mix well.

Then I found an Alvarez six shooter - maple body maple neck like the RD. It can get the sound of the RD and it can slap-n-pop so I sold the RD.

There is no "best" wood, you have to hunt around for the sound you want.

• Members

I want the lightest weight J-bass body I can find - that will work. Balsa I think would be a little ridiculous, but I need something that I can hold all night without digging into my shoulder.

Well, it's not a J but I have a P bass I put together from an SX. In total it weighs 5.5lbs. That's including a badass II bridge and large Fender style tuners.

• Members

A bass body shall be made of alder and of alder only shall it be made. I say.

Screw that. The best sounding bass I have is 100% rock maple. But I guess if you're not man enough to wield a beast like that, I can see where your coming from with your little Alder basses...

Archived