Pre-CBS Fenders

seraphim7s

• Members
Originally posted by bville

Reality is that old Fenders have become an esoteric, must-have bass for many players. I really can't see dumping $2k-$3k for one.

Old Fenders and Ampeg SVT's with 8x10 cabs.
If you want to play screamo, you can't play shows unless you play this rig. It's a rule.
Well, it might not be a rule, but I challenge you to find an emo/screamo bass player that isn't playing this rig.:D
C7

• Members
Originally posted by Crescent Seven

Old Fenders and Ampeg SVT's with 8x10 cabs.

If you want to play screamo, you can't play shows unless you play this rig. It's a rule.

Well, it might not be a rule, but I challenge you to find an emo/screamo bass player that isn't playing this rig.
:D
C7

You have to use an authentic 1920s banjo flatpick too!

• Members
Originally posted by Crescent Seven

I don't think GC will sell you an Ampeg 8x10 if you aren't wearing tight black jeans and a studded belt.
:confused:
They give you a discount if your nails are painted black, I think. But only on Ampeg gear.

C7

This one time I was in a GC, and the guy was being a real {censored}head. So I took a pack of stainless strings, and pulled the low B out. Using my ninja training, I flicked it past him and it stuck about 4 inches into the wall. MAN that rocked!

He wanted to cooperate them but I told him to go get new clothes, then promptly left.

• Members
Originally posted by sunburstbasser

This one time I was in a GC, and the guy was being a real {censored}head. So I took a pack of stainless strings, and pulled the low B out. Using my ninja training, I flicked it past him and it stuck about 4 inches into the wall. MAN that rocked!

He wanted to cooperate them but I told him to go get new clothes, then promptly left.

You have to be {censored}ting me. :)

• Members

Originally posted by willsellout

I still don't get why someone would pay that much for those basses. Unless it's an investment. Not a player

Couldn't agree more. And as an investment, it's quite a risk because the prices are set on perceived value. I don't think many non musicians would fork over three grand for an old bass.

• Members

Couldn't agree more. And as an investment, it's quite a risk because the prices are set on perceived value. I don't think many non musicians would fork over three grand for an old bass.

Many, many non-musicians buy vintage instruments as investments. During the '80s bubble economy in Japan, for example boatloads of old Gibsons, Fenders, Gretsches, Rics etc went overseas.

Check out www.guitarbroker.com for a site aimed squarely at the collector market. Just be prepared for sticker shock at their prices...

• Members
Originally posted by Thumper

Many,
many
non-musicians buy vintage instruments as investments. During the '80s bubble economy in Japan, for example boatloads of old Gibsons, Fenders, Gretsches, Rics etc went overseas.

Check out
www.guitarbroker.com
for a site aimed squarely at the collector market. Just be prepared for sticker shock at their prices...

Their prices are at least what you would find on Ebay. not too crazy except for the rarities and such. And those pieces, I've heard from otehrs are sometimes questionable in their historical accuracy. There's some cool basses on that page though...

• Members
Originally posted by Thumper

Many,
many
non-musicians buy vintage instruments as investments. During the '80s bubble economy in Japan, for example boatloads of old Gibsons, Fenders, Gretsches, Rics etc went overseas.

Check out
www.guitarbroker.com
for a site aimed squarely at the collector market. Just be prepared for sticker shock at their prices...

I just wonder how long the vintage Fender craze will last. You're right, a lot of people buy stuff to hang on walls, but as a musician I want an instrument I can play without thinking if it's going to depreciate if I leave some sweat on it.

• Members

I just wonder how long the vintage Fender craze will last. You're right, a lot of people buy stuff to hang on walls, but as a musician I want an instrument I can play without thinking if it's going to depreciate if I leave some sweat on it.

Oddly, old Fenders were relatively cheap in the 70s. I think Jaco paid less than $120 for his '62 or whenever Jazz, for instance. Now look at what a '62 would go for in mediocre shape!

I expect it can continue as long as there are people (probably not musicians) willing to pay for them.

• Members

I wouldn't write them off, but I wouldn't pay the asking price for them either.

I've played a 1964 Jazzmaster guitar. Nice. Not as nice as the current prices indicate, but nice.

I agree. I played many of these basses growing up. I was weaned on the sound of Fender. The pre-CBS and the 70's P basses are all WAY over priced today. They are priced this way because of the stigma attached and because the demand is high, especially on E Bay..

Today, Fender makes the 'vintage ' models to the exact blue print specifications of those from the 60's and 70's. They call them the 'reissue' and thery are every bit as nice as the old without the steep price. I would certainly buy one of them, in fact I am considering that as we speak for a purchase next year. :D:thu:

• Members

Oddly, old Fenders were relatively cheap in the 70s. I think Jaco paid less than $120 for his '62 or whenever Jazz, for instance. Now look at what a '62 would go for in mediocre shape!

Yep. In fact, back when Roger Sadowsky started his own shop in NYC, he told players to go out and buy an early 60s Fender (then costing between $200 and $300), and he would give it a setup and install a preamp in it. Marcus Miller's signature Jazz Bass is based on his old Jazz that Sadowsky did these exact mods to.

This continued until the vintage market got out of hand, and he decided that he could build better basses for less money than if someone bought a vintage Fender and he did his magic on, and he didn't want to ruin the value of the vintage Fenders either by doing a bunch of mods on them.

• Members

Help this newbie (to all this gear talk, not to bass) see if I got my history right.
Leo Fender put his name on his guitars until 1965 when he sold it to CBS. CBS left them alone for a while and then the QC declined. Meanwhile, Fender founds Music Man and gives us great workhorse basses (and some guitars that you don't hear much about). Then he sells Musicman and starts G&L. How long has EB had Musicman?

• Members

Originally posted by someotherguy

Help this newbie (to all this gear talk, not to bass) see if I got my history right.

Leo Fender put his name on his guitars until 1965 when he sold it to CBS. CBS left them alone for a while and then the QC declined. Meanwhile, Fender founds Music Man and gives us great workhorse basses (and some guitars that you don't hear much about). Then he sells Musicman and starts G&L. How long has EB had Musicman?

The Ernie Ball company has owned and operated Musicman since 1984.

Fender started Musicman as soon as his non competition agreement with CBS expired, though he was starting to scheme before he started Musicman.

Leo sold Musicman because his health was declining. Then, Leo started G&L with George Fullerton, though Fullerton soon left the company (G&L originally stood for George & Leo, but as soon as Fullerton left the company, it started to mean Guitars by Leo).

Leo worked at G&L in the same workshop in California up until the day that he died in 1991.

Another historical fact of note is that Francis Hall, the former owner of Rickenbacker before he gave the company to his son, was a distributor for Fender when Fender was making amplifiers for steel guitars in the 40s.

Archived