Critique me? Clips i guess?

AdaaaMM

• Members

Myspace.com/blindfoldsasiderock

most of you guys probably don't listen to the new stuff, "post hardcore", "screamo", w.e you want to call it. Singing is Singing, and i'd just like to hear some feedback on the clean vocals which i do, thanks.

• Members

haha, i was expecting to get these comments. as for the whole "oh you sound like the emo """"WHINING"""" vocalists, i don't like to think of it that way. I guess people go that length to describing it as "emo and whiny" because it's male vocalists using the high end of their range, while keeping it very clean and smooth (meaning no vibrato or anything accented i guess).

as for the drumming, we try to use our drummer to the fullest. this may become a bad thing when it over-powers everything, but hey, that's what you get when you get into the hardcore genre. he's not playing a "different" song at all.

i guess everyone judges or has an influenced opinion relative to what they are used to listening to.

• Members

Still sounds like a dude with has balls cut off trying to sing like a girl.

haha, i was expecting to get these comments. as for the whole "oh you sound like the emo """"WHINING"""" vocalists, i don't like to think of it that way. I guess people go that length to describing it as "emo and whiny" because it's male vocalists using the high end of their range, while keeping it very clean and smooth (meaning no vibrato or anything accented i guess).

as for the drumming, we try to use our drummer to the fullest. this may become a bad thing when it over-powers everything, but hey, that's what you get when you get into the hardcore genre. he's not playing a "different" song at all.

i guess everyone judges or has an influenced opinion relative to what they are used to listening to.

• Members

whatever you say. you don't like, you criticize it

what music do you listen to? jw.

It's not very appealing. Hence why sales are slow to non exsitent.

with some vocal training you could pull off a Emoish prescennce without resorting to the whiny tones.

What do I lsten to ? Blues,Jazz,Pop,Metal,Old School R&B Marvin gay etc the list go's on. To much to type here.

It would do you some good to give those guys a listen. Its like listening to a metal boy band. It's aweful. The only Emoish group I ever liked was Hobastank but that guy had chops and could sign "High Notes " without sounding like a tool.

If you don't like honest critizism. Don't ask.

I am the Simon Cowell of the vocal forum.

Also the music itself. It has no direction and no real discrenable structure. Pretty much everyone at the office winced when I played it and left the room when you started signing.

So the critics have spoken. Its not very good. Your pitch isn't bad.

• Members

"sales are low"

sales are low because of dumb kids. im not trying to say "oh kids are dumb cause they don't listen to this type of music" but what are sales high on then? {censored}ty ass rap and hip hop, next to the jonas brothers.

I get that you don't like the genre, i disagree with the fact that the music has no direction though. I'll just have to wait to find someone on here who listens to this music.

• Members

I'm going to start out as "Paula" here, then segue into some (hopefully) contructive "Randy".

First of all, I don't find anything "off" or "wrong" with the drumming. I can hear what the drummer is doing with the syncopated timing. Because I come from a progressive metal background, this sort of syncopated groove doesn't bother me.

Secondly, while I feel like I've heard the alternating "thin and clean"/"screamo" style WAY too much over the past few years, I can hear that you aren't "bad" at it, and you fairly represent the style.

It isn't really my cup of tea, and unfortunately, I've heard too many bands that sound like this, but on the other hand, it seems reasonably well executed and I can't find fault with your singing within the inherent limitations of the genre.

When it comes to rock and metal, I like Soilwork or Tool alright, but I'm more of a Jorn Lande or Russell Allen type of guy. So it is THAT sort of versatility and variety that I really look for in vocalists.

As another poster mentioned, try to get some other influences under your belt, outside of the "thin clean" and "screamo" boxes. I listen to (and sing) material from Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin, Willie Nelson, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Ray Charles, Chris Cornell, Paul Rogers, Ronnie Dio, David Bowie, and the list goes on and on.

That versatility eventually works its way into my own material, and little nuances that I pick up from various singers can enhance my OWN style.

Make of this what you will, but my biggest recommendation is to find ways to make your singing more unique, to stand out from other singers in your genre. Chris Cornell sounds like Chris Cornell. You can't confuse him with anyone else. Make your own voice stand out in the same way.

• Members

good luck.

"sales are low"

sales are low because of dumb kids. im not trying to say "oh kids are dumb cause they don't listen to this type of music" but what are sales high on then? {censored}ty ass rap and hip hop, next to the jonas brothers.

I get that you don't like the genre, i disagree with the fact that the music has no direction though.
I'll just have to wait to find someone on here who listens to this music

• Members

thanks for the help guys. Im just wondering what i can do with my voice to make it unique i guess? Im only 16, idk what to do with it haha.

i understand the spreading myself out among a buunch of different genres, i try to find different singing styles among the same feel, like Roadie Walker of Protest The Hero, and the singer from Enter Shikari, also i might try and shoot for adding a little Jonny Craig from Emarosa into my singing, but i just don't know how to make it my own without changing how i approach my singing.

• Members

It's not very appealing. Hence why sales are slow to non exsitent.

with some vocal training you could pull off a Emoish prescennce without resorting to the whiny tones.

What do I lsten to ? Blues,Jazz,Pop,Metal,Old School R&B Marvin gay etc the list go's on. To much to type here.

It would do you some good to give those guys a listen. Its like listening to a metal boy band. It's aweful. The only Emoish group I ever liked was Hobastank but that guy had chops and could sign "High Notes " without sounding like a tool.

If you don't like honest critizism. Don't ask.

I am the Simon Cowell of the vocal forum.

Also the music itself. It has no direction and no real discrenable structure. Pretty much everyone at the office winced when I played it and left the room when you started signing.

So the critics have spoken. Its not very good. Your pitch isn't bad.

Sheesh....wouldn't even know where to start dissecting this one:facepalm::confused:

• Members

thanks for the help guys. Im just wondering what i can do with my voice to make it unique i guess? Im only 16, idk what to do with it haha.

i understand the spreading myself out among a buunch of different genres, i try to find different singing styles among the same feel, like Roadie Walker of Protest The Hero, and the singer from Enter Shikari, also i might try and shoot for adding a little Jonny Craig from Emarosa into my singing, but i just don't know how to make it my own without changing how i approach my singing.

You're only 16? Then I would say that you are way ahead of the game. :thu:

• Members

Keep singing and develop your favorite style. Singers that can really sing are not that easy to find. You have a good voice and you can go as far as the system will let you if you just keep at it... I like your voice even though the genre is not my fav - I can still recognize your talent. :thu:

Archived