Older TNT 115S vs. newer TNT 115?

snakum

• Members

I played an older Peavey TNT 115S model today, the model just before the 'red-letter' version, the one with built-in chorus. I must say ... I absolutely LOVED the tone of this thing. I know most of you guys probably see it as nothing more than a dependable 'vanilla' amp, but I was able to get almost any bass tone I could remember out of it. To me, it seemed very flexible. Everything from sweet, musical mid-punch to smooth, buttery low-end bass. The built-in chorus was a nice touch, and the thing is hugely loud, as well.

I will have to choose between this older 115S model, and a newer 'red-letter' TNT, so I was curious what you bass pros thought.

Are they similar in tone and flexibility?

Would you prefer one over the other?

Is the tweeter in the newer version a very nice upgrade, or not such a big deal?

Thanks all! :wave:

• Members

I think you'll be happy with a TNT until you start playing other people's rigs, then you'll realize exactly what it lacks.

That's how I was with my old Acoustic 270 and 2x15 rig. I thought it was the bee's knees until I plugged my bass into SWR's, Ampegs, and the like. It's not to say that the TNT isn't a solid piece of gear, it's just that you'll grow tired of it quickly, and it's not a versatile as a head+cab rig.

If you want a combo, you might be better off with one of Ashdown's MAG410 combos, IMO.

C7

• Members

At the same place today I played an SWR Workingman's 12 combo, and a new Ampeg 1x12 combo (don't remember the model), and a GK 400RB into a Hartke 4x10, and I still thought the TNT rocked.

Of course ... I haven't yet played a Mesa or an Eden, or a Peavey head/combo like the T-Max. I'm sure something along those lines would be infinitely better than a TNT. But in my price range, I think the TNT is gonna be the best bang-for-the-buck (oughta be Peavey's trademarked slogan :D ).

I have been told the top-shelf combos like the Mesa Scout, SWR 'Red-head' (or something like that), and the Peavey BAM are a whole new experience. Hope to have something like that one day.

• Members

Compare them side by side for any sound diff's. When Peavey went to the red letter versions, they changed porting on some of the combos. Me I'd go for the older TNT's cause they weighed less then the newer ones & sounded a least as good as the newer ones.

Peavey bland sounding? Not to me, but of course I more judge an amps sound with allready processed bass signal. Haveing also owned Eden Nemesis rig I can say owning the latter did help me further tweek tone controls on my peaveys for little better upper edge sound with the Peaveys. Also putting acoustic insulation (I use & prefer poly high loft batting) in the Peaveys does help tighten bass and give sweeter treble. Same thing that happens when low price stereospeakers garbage fiberglass like acoustic insulation is replaced with better stuff.

• Members

I checked out the Tech21 pedal ... very nice idea. I'll probably take another look later on, once I feel comfortable in the bass role (Already got a job offer on bass. Er ... uh ... actually, three of them. :eek: ).

About the batting in the Peavey combos ... please forgive my ig'nunce, but that's something us guitar players haven't tried ... are you saying you fill the cabinet around the speaker with poly batting? Just pop out the speaker ... but the stuff in ... put the speaker and cage back in?

Interesting. I'll probably try that.

About the difference in the TNT years/versions ... I figured some guys are gonna turn their noses up at Peavey combos as a beginners amp, but as I said, I played a bunch of other combos right beside the TNT, and despite the fact that is is an ugly-ass beast (Uuuugg ... Blech! :freak: ), we all thought the tone was killer after getting a handle on the EQ. It's not a Mesa or hi-end Eden, but still ... very, very nice. This was the older 115S with the Chorus and no tweeter. The newer models look a tiny bit better (not much, though :D ), but I doubt they'll sound as good. I'll soon find out.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.

I don't care what the HCAF Mafia says about you guys ... you're all OK in my book. :thu::D

Archived