Physics question

SA Rios

• Members

Can any of you math wizzes or physics professors figure this out for me.

If I'm 6'4" and weigh 210 lbs. approx how much weight (% of body wieght) am I lifting when I do a push up? I'm having trouble fnding any formulas online for how much weight is being lifted at diffent angles. Just cuious because I mainly work out by doing pushups, sit ups, pull ups, etc. and want to know how much I am actually lifting.

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

Physics schmysics. Calculate it the easy way. Do your pushups on a bathroom scale and it'll tell you how much weight you're lifting.

:D

This right here is the difference between an engineer, and an operator.

• Members

Originally posted by jetmech727

Those are words to live by. Amen:thu:

That method works under safe conditions, but does not work well under dangerous circumstances. For example, you would not want those engineers to test a brand new passenger airplane with you as one of the new passengers ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Deep Bass

That method works under safe conditions, but does not work well under dangerous circumstances. For example, you would not want those engineers to test a brand new passenger airplane with you as one of the new passengers
;)

But that's how airbus does it.:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Deep Bass

That method works under safe conditions, but does not work well under dangerous circumstances. For example, you would not want those engineers to test a brand new passenger airplane with you as one of the new passengers
;)

It isn't the engineers who test it. The engineers are the ones on the ground who say..."oh {censored}" when the plane and test pilot go down. ;)

• Members

That measurement would only be approximate and an overestimate.

By putting your self on the scale while doing the push up you are also weighting your arms but in the action of the pushup your arms and pectoral muscles are doing the work. You are actually only pushing up the weight of your trunk with the fulcrum at your feet. That said you're technically not pushing your feet up so they too would not be considered as part of the weight.

• Members

Originally posted by hawkhuff

By putting your self on the scale while doing the push up you are also weighting your arms but in the action of the pushup your arms and pectoral muscles are doing the work. You are actually only pushing up the weight of your trunk with the fulcrum at your feet. That said you're technically not pushing your feet up so they too would not be considered as part of the weight.

Well {censored}. Then cut your arms off, weigh them and subtract from the total. Do I have to think of everything around here? :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by hawkhuff

And since your feet aren't part of the weight, they shouldn't register on the scale... right?

If you're doing pushups with your hands on a scale, it should reflect that you aren't pushing up your full body weight... right?

It seems like this would be a more accurate method than trying to guess SA Rios' body dimensions as well as posture while performing pushups.

Right?

• Members

Originally posted by Rippin' Robin

"Billy Bob, we's here testing them there new-fangled Arbus jet engines. They wanna know how many pound trust they do, or sumthin'... Just hold the scales up at the hind end and I'll fire it up"

That's pretty much the way it's done. Tie her down, light her up and see how much tug she's got.

pad1_sm.jpg

• Members

the real way to do it would involve finding your actual volume of your body, finding the centroid and center of gravtiy

then youd have to calculate the force that the earth is excerting on you and the distance you are pushing your self up with, along with the fact that you have elbows so youd have to take into account that there is a pivot which is adding resistance and what not

..... just use the scale to check :)

• Members

Here's my method... similar to how I went through physics and calculus class by punching in answers to my calculator and working backwards until I got the original problemback.

Do pushups until you are totally exhausted, and collapse. Then bench press barbells of decreasing weight from 210 lb until you can do the same number of benches as you did pushups, and there's your answer:thu:

• Members

actually, you want to include the upper arm in the weight, just not the forearm and hand. so, keep your upper arm by your side, put the scale on a table, and rest your forearm on the scale.

then double it for both arms, or if you're a total wackjob, weigh the other arm and add them together.

this of course does not account for the elbow, which is acting as another fulcrum. so, to factor this back in, use for same formula you used for calculating pushup weight in reverse.

Oh {censored}, you don't have it yet...

okay,

just weigh yourself on a scale, and maybe it'll read 150 pounds. add in the weights of the forearms...maybe 6 pounds for both. that gives you 156, hypothetically. so, 156/210 is 0.74285, so divide the arm weight (6 pounds) by 0.743 (74.3%), and you'll get 8 pounds, which is a more accurate reading for your arms. Then, you'll add the new arm weight (8) to the old scale weight (150) and you get 158 pounds. Then, divide this by your weight, and you'll get a slightly more accurate percentage....(75.2%).

So, just use that simply, easy to use forumla to with your actual scale measurements, and you'll have an approximation of your push-up to weight ratio.:)

Glad to be of service.

Archived