"New" Country Music Rig Makeover

tdempsey

• Members

Hi gang,

I've been tapped to play bass in a new country music band (Bonnie Raitt/Martina McBride/Shania Twain) and to make this gig fresh I want to do-over my rig.

I'm talking wholesale replacement of bass, with a budget of $1500 for bass and amp... (500 bass/1000 for amp give or take).

Currently I have a Warwick Thumb 5 and the venerable Hartke 3500 with 4x10 (which is starting to make more noise).

I'm thinking new Fender bass, possibly Ampeg amp... used or new - can't decide.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

G&L ASAT(used) -

A G&L with EMGs?

I just bought a new Schecter Model T for $600 with hardshell case. I'll bet it would work well for country too. Maybe a passive P-Bass...

http://www.pulseonline.com/schecter2.htm

As for cabs, I'd go with at least a 212 or 210 instead of a single 112 (a 410 would be even better IMO), but I've had volume issues in the past with two Aguilar GS112 cabs...

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

Could the tube need replaced?

I knew there was a tube, but the sound is a highpitched whistling that can be eliminated if I find the right master volume setting - but there's lots of loud cracklingin the process of finding that setting.

Does that still sound like a tube? Sounds like a short to me, but I'm electrically un-inclined!

• Members

The rig you have should work fine for country, unless you just want something else. I have seen several Warwick/Hartke rigs in major country acts, and including the Weird Al Yankovick band, and the Neville Brothers Band.

• Members

Originally posted by tdempsey

Hi gang,

I've been tapped to play bass in a new country music band (Bonnie Raitt/Martina McBride/Shania Twain) and to make this gig fresh I want to do-over my rig.

I'm talking wholesale replacement of bass, with a budget of $1500 for bass and amp... (500 bass/1000 for amp give or take).

Currently I have a Warwick Thumb 5 and the venerable Hartke 3500 with 4x10 (which is starting to make more noise).

I'm thinking new Fender bass, possibly Ampeg amp... used or new - can't decide.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe I'm missing something here but I doubt you're going to improve on a Thumb with $500

Personabbly speaking I would drop all the $1500 on a new Genz-Benz rig

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

Or the new Ampeg B-200R coming out.

The B100R is plenty bulky enough. I fear the 200R will be too bulky. Once you get much bigger/heavier than the 100R, your better off going with a separate head/cab rig, IMHO. ...thinking GK 400RB + GenzBenz 1x12 Neo. :cool:

• Members

Why replace the Warwick? You'll need a 5 string, so you can do extended playing. Assuming you like the Warwick still, I would suggest you whack a set of flats on that baby and see how it goes.

Rig wise I can't comment, other than at least a 1x15" in there, maybe try 2x12". What money you save on keeping the Warwick you can put into a rig, pedal/rack tuner and anything else you will need.

• Members

Originally posted by Benjamin

Why replace the Warwick? You'll need a 5 string, so you can do extended playing. Assuming you like the Warwick still, I would suggest you whack a set of flats on that baby and see how it goes...

There's no need to replace the Warwick, just wanted to mix it up a little and get another gigging bass. Don't want "to leave the wife, just have a little fling."

I have TI flats on it now, but I'm still unconvinced I need the 5 string, although some tunes are in Eb so there's reason enough to stick with 5-er. Still have half the repertoire to learn, so I'll do it with a 4 string and see if it's necessary to stick with 5.

Archived