Cab On A Chair

Thunderbroom

• Members

Originally posted by Kindness

Anytime you can raise the cabinet closer to ear level it'll be easier to hear. Sometimes I stack my two 2x10s vertically even when only using one cabinet. I like how that setup sounds quite a bit on stage.

I did have my single 210 vertical and normally don't have trouble hearing myself. The room we played was very boomy.

• Members

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

you could build a wedge to put under it. that way it's pointing at your head and still coupled to the stage.

Ya know, I thought about this. My concern about tilting back my cab is that my rack/head may slip off the cab.

• Members

If you are using your cab as a stage monitor, put your rack on a box to the side and put your cab on a folding chair or a cab stand. Those folding chairs are about the right height and angle for a smaller cab. If its for backline, I would leave the cab on the floor, as someone else suggested.

• Members

Originally posted by Cortfan

If you are using your cab as a stage monitor, put your rack on a box to the side and put your cab on a folding chair or a cab stand. Those folding chairs are about the right height and angle for a smaller cab. If its for backline, I would leave the cab on the floor, as someone else suggested.

Good to know.

My guitarists checked out the club we're playing in two weeks. The stage is small (especially for the size of our band). We're going to go with stage volume and only run the vocals through the monitors. I'm thinking maybe I should bring both cabs for this gig (to keep them coupled to the floor) and just not turn up loud. I can then hear my bass better anyway.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

The room we played was very boomy.

This is the key. You might have been helped by raising the cab, but a boomy room usually means its got a lot of low end nodes that are boosting some frequencies and cutting others, and it all depends where you're standing. You could help this a bit with a parametric EQ to compensate for the room's {censored}ty response. Without one, cut your bass EQ on the amp, boost the mids to see if it helps, and hope for the best.......

• Members

And THIS is why a full stack is such a useful thing.

Originally posted by Deacon_blue

When I bought my Yorkville 2x10 the guy who sold it to me said to keep it coupled to the floor.

You might have a better time hearing it elevated but your audience might not.

You get the benefits of floor-coupling, PLUS you have a cab up where you can hear it. It allows you to lower your volume level, which benefits you AND the band AND the audience AND THE SOUNDGUY.

One other thing: A full bass stack (particularly if you're using 2x10s stacked vertically) generally fits in a compact car. Unless you're physically feeble or you're taking the train to your gig, an unwillingness to equip yourself properly smacks of sheer laziness.

• Members

Originally posted by Bassius

i'd get an amp stand were i you,

I have an amp stand (for guitar). The cab sits on there fine, but the rack won't. Shoud I just set it (the rack) on the floor? I've never tried this. Are there any issues running an amp vertically instead of horizontal? It seems that it would put undue stress on the rack ears.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I have an amp stand (for guitar). The cab sits on there fine, but the rack won't. Shoud I just set it (the rack) on the floor? I've never tried this. Are there any issues running an amp vertically instead of horizontal? It seems that it would put undue stress on the rack ears.

i've do this. setting the rack on it's side.

gravity shouldn't have any altered effect on the rack regardless of it's postition. the same amount of weight is distributed between the rackears whether it's horizontal or vertical...

but hey, i'm no engineer

Archived