Best bass for under $200-$300?

univox5138

• Members

IMO, find yourself a good Made in Mexico Fender Precision or Jazz bass - whichever speaks to you better, and you'll be pleased :thu: Especially regarding the late model MIM Fenders, there are some great instruments to be found. Just try some out and get one used, if possible. If not, you can still probably get one new for less than $400 from Guitar Center.

• Members

Originally posted by bassment zombie

IMO, find yourself a good Made in Mexico Fender Precision or Jazz bass - whichever speaks to you better, and you'll be pleased
:thu:
Especially regarding the late model MIM Fenders, there are some great instruments to be found. Just try some out and get one used, if possible. If not, you can still probably get one new for less than $400 from Guitar Center.

those aren't really good for metal though..... are they? i really don't like the feel of the precisions....never tried a jazz.....thanks for the advice, though. i'll try some MIM jazzes. :cool:

any other non-fender suggestions?

• Members

IMO, find yourself a good Made in Mexico Fender Precision or Jazz bass - whichever speaks to you better, and you'll be pleased
:thu:
Especially regarding the late model MIM Fenders, there are some great instruments to be found. Just try some out and get one used, if possible. If not, you can still probably get one new for less than $400 from Guitar Center.

+1 and I'd say that regardless of the year it was made, try at least a few MIM P or J and pick the one that feels and sound better. When I got my fretless Jazz bass, I tried a few new ones... then went to a store where they had a used one... I couldn't believe how good it was (and still is). I bought it and realized it's a 2000 model, with the older pickups and a poplar body (instead of Alder as they do them now). Still, I really love that bass...

So : try as much as you can and pick the best. MIM Fenders are nice and if you pick one that's good, you might end up keeping it all your life, customize it at some point maybe...

• Members

In that price range I prefer the Esp Ltd B154 and its predescssors. 154 has nice maple top (though not as fancy as higher end B series)on agathis body which to me gives better low bass articulation then mahogany/maple top combo. Very nice 6 bolt bolton maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Nice soapbar pups with good crunch & 2 band active eq. Black hardware. Good qaulity bridge akin to heavier versions of fender type bridge.

• Members

Originally posted by univox5138

those aren't really good for metal though..... are they? i really don't like the feel of the precisions....never tried a jazz.....thanks for the advice, though. i'll try some MIM jazzes.
:cool:

any other non-fender suggestions?

Okedoke, don't like the feel of Precisions...check!

Why on earth wouldn't either of these basses be 'good for metal'? I take it by your post here that you're looking to learn a bit here, and let me tell you, a Precision and a Jazz would both be great for metal, and not only metal, but many other styles of music, as well. Let's see, I'm no metal-head by any means, but off the top of my head, I can mention that Timmy C of Rage/Audioslave plays a Jazz, as does the fella who is playing with Metallica these days, Steve Harris from Maiden plays a Precision (with flats, no less!) and has his own sig model...yadda yadda yadda.

That said, are you trying to say that you're looking for a bass which is aesthetically styled in a 'metal motif'? Pointy?

• Members

Okedoke, don't like the feel of Precisions...check!

Why on earth wouldn't either of these basses be 'good for metal'? I take it by your post here that you're looking to learn a bit here, and let me tell you, a Precision and a Jazz would both be great for metal, and not only metal, but many other styles of music, as well. Let's see, I'm no metal-head by any means, but off the top of my head, I can mention that Timmy C of Rage/Audioslave plays a Jazz, as does the fella who is playing with Metallica these days, Steve Harris from Maiden plays a Precision (with flats, no less!) and has his own sig model...yadda yadda yadda.

That said, are you trying to say that you're looking for a bass which is aesthetically styled in a 'metal motif'? Pointy?

i DEFINATLY don't want a pointy bass.... i like the smaller ones w/ fat pickups.

mabye i was playing a bad precision because when i tried it out i didn't like the sound.

• Members

Originally posted by univox5138

i DEFINATLY don't want a pointy bass.... i like the smaller ones w/ fat pickups.

mabye i was playing a bad precision because when i tried it out i didn't like the sound.

mm hmm...

Actually, what I'd recommend is going to a BIG store like a Guitar Center, and trying out as many basses as you can. Keep in mind your price-range, and make sure to try out as many MIM Jazz and Precisions that you can. If you end up preferring a bass that is out of your price range, you can then make note of that bass, and then do some research to determine if there are others of that ilk that would suit your fancy.

Enjoy!

• Members

Listen to Basement Zombie. He speaks the truth :thu:

I'd definitely recommend checking out as many basses as you can in a store. I'd lean toward a P-bass, but you may want to check into an MTD Kingston, Schecter DeLeo model, an Epi T-bird (if you can find one in your price range).

Good luck and have fun!

• Members

I don't know, man, my Precision was my ONLY bass for 10+ years, and I played metal, funk, reggae, alternative, and acoustic rock, and it never failed to do what I wanted it to. And it's a MIM Fender that cost probably $350 new, 12 years ago.

For metal, I just turned the mids up on my amp, for funk I turned them down a little, for reggae I cranked the bass and rolled back the treble, for alternative I scooped my mids out a little and for acoustic rock I ran flat. I made the amp sound how I wanted it to and the bass fed it a solid signal. I put in some hotter pickups recently, and it's even better than it was.

It's not the "be all end all" but it is the "do all play all" bass. :D

Suggestions include the MIM P, a used Schecter Stiletto, used Spector Legend, Ibanez 300 series or used 500 or 700 series.

If you save up a couple hundred more and walk into a Guitar Center, you can get into some nice basses brand new.

C7

• Members

I know there are a few of those Euro Speed Metal players (like the guy from Opeth and a couple others) that play Fender Jazz basses

as metioned a bunch of Metal players use Ps

ebay+Peavey=cheap good bass

I can't comment on Schecters as I have never played one but along with Dean they sure seem to have some good value....and I like the look of that Model T

• Members

Originally posted by Jugghaid

Schecter has a ton of good basses you can find used in that price range. Also see if you can find a used MTD kingston. Lots of bass ofr the $, especially used.

Those sound good, and I'll second the ESP suggestion. If you can save a little more money, the 200-series ESP Viper and Eclipse basses are incredible for~$400.

Jugghaid, if you own the bass in your avatar, I envy you. A lot.:mad:

• Members

From Musicyo.com. Payed to have a new GOTOH bridge put on it plus a pro setup job and PRESTO, for less than 200 bucks (110.00 for the bass and 80.00 for the bridge plus setup) I had a good, full-sounding bass that played quite nicely. Good tones in the thing, deep, yet clear (like a good Precision). Nice finish too.

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=357

Archived