Who originally recorded "Shine"?

The Aardvark

• Members

I know it's been covered by Collective Soul and even Dolly Parton, but who originally did this song?

Shine

Give me a word

Give me a sign

Show me where to look

Tell what will I find ( will I find )

Lay me on the ground

Fly me in the sky

Show me where to look

Tell me what will I find ( will I find )

Oh, heaven let your light shine down (x4)

Love is in the water

Love is in the air

Show me where to go

Tell me will love be there ( love be there )

Teach me how to speak

Teach me how to share

Teach me where to go

Tell me will love be there ( love be there )

Oh, heaven let your light shine down (x4)

I

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

Collective Soul wrote the song and recorded it in 1994. Dolly covered it in 2001. I like CS's version better. Dolly's more, ah...
interesting
to look at.

Are you sure Collective Soul wrote this? I thought this was originally done in the early '70s.

• Members

Originally posted by The Aardvark

Are you sure Collective Soul wrote this? I thought this was originally done in the early '70s.

According to AllMusic.com, CS (Ed Roland) did write it.

I'm a CS fan, so I don't think it's boring, but I think the production on the first album isn't so great... If a band were to play it well, I think I'd enjoy hearing it live...

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte

+A billion

For some reason singers seem to love it...is it easy to sing or something?
:confused:

+ A trillion

I HATED THIS CRAP in the 90s. And yes, I'd be in these cover bands and they would want to play that song, I'd say NO every single time. They were the Creed of the early 90s, they were annoying and everyone covered them and then they vanished.

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

They were the Creed of the early 90s, they were annoying and everyone covered them and then they vanished.

Hell, their second album contained more hits than the first, and I still really like the third and fourth albums as well. "Shine" isn't the best song by CS to cover, though...

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

+ A trillion

I HATED THIS CRAP in the 90s. And yes, I'd be in these cover bands and they would want to play that song, I'd say NO every single time. They were the Creed of the early 90s, they were annoying and everyone covered them and then they vanished.

Vanished...? They made four albums in the 90's They were touring last year and had a new single & album. The new single was dull, though.

I like a lot of their stuff. The Creed comparision is probably valid since they found one sound and stuck with it too much. Less strutting, over-emotional, over-the-top than Creed though.

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

Hell, their second album contained more hits than the first, and I still really like the third and fourth albums as well. "Shine" isn't the best song by CS to cover, though...

Agree. Self-titled (2nd), Disciplined Breakdown, & the one with the bees on the cover were good albums. That fourth album actually varied their signiture sound a little (not quite enough). The first one was a demo that went big.

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

The sad part is that they're actually a talented band, but they put out the most mediocre music.

• Members

Odd. I was noodling with that song on an accoustic guitar last night. Not that I am a big fan of it, though. I had the album and sold it back. It's certainly a lot better than that...

"turn your head now baby just spit me out..."

Horrible song that played endlessly when I was doing factory work in the summer of '95. :(

Archived