How do you angle your bass?

megadan

• Members

I'm undecided as to which position is"better" - both in terms of comfort, playability all over the neck, and medical/tension issues.

Up high, straight arm, neck close to you:

hello_kitty_bass_player.jpg

Or flat bass, arms bent:

bass-player.jpg

It seems like more people (except metal heads :p) play flatter, but the natural position of my wrists seems to be more bent inward - rotating it out to play flat seems to induce more stress on the wrist.

So....?

• Members

If playing with a pick, i leave it flat, if playing with fingers, i pull the neck alot closer to me. This could be also due to the fact that anything I play with fingers inevitably has alot more left hand work too. dunno

• Members

I position my bass so that it's at the same level when I'm sitting down as it is when I stand up. That way, there's no adjustment to be made and less cause for injury. The angle of my bass also is pretty much set. It's closer to being flat, with just a slight rise and what feels natural to me.

The important thing was to get past the idea of how cool I look (or thought I looked) and position my bass to perform at my highest level and what feels most comfortable to me.

• Members

Either position is good, depending on whether you're using a plectrum or your fingers.

The position that's NOT ergonomically correct is to have the thing hanging below your crotch a la Slash (yeah I know he plays geetar - but I've seen bassists doing that too.)

• Members

Originally posted by bigby

I position my bass so that it's at the same level when I'm sitting down as it is when I stand up. That way, there's no adjustment to be made and less cause for injury. The angle of my bass also is pretty much set. It's closer to being flat, with just a slight rise and what feels natural to me.

The important thing was to get past the idea of how cool I look (or thought I looked) and position my bass to perform at my highest level and what feels most comfortable to me.

+1. After doing enough switching between standing up playing and sitting down practicing, I found that just doing it in the same position made things a whole lot easier. The angle is pretty much flat too, with a slight angle up. Except for the fretless bass I had, which had a really high angle on it, to simulate a string bass.

• Members

I play with the neck up high. I can't play sitting down. Well, I can, but barely. The angle is all wrong, and I don't like the feeling that I am holding the bass up with my left arm while playing. So I practice and play standing.

• Members

Ya know, the guy from The Slackers sets his bass on a stool and plays it like an upright......kinda interesting.

567326921_l.jpg

I play it pretty flat for the most part......slightly angled I guess. I don't really pay much attention to it when I'm playing. My bass is usually around crotch level or so.

• Members

Originally posted by mounds

arvizu049.jpg

I'm actually not too unlike that guy. My hands/wrists/arms never hurt either. Like most women, if I play too high and too flat I have to deal with bass horns digging into places they don't belong. No one likes to see bruised up cleavage. That's just nasty. :p

• Members

My bass body hangs pretty low and when I'm playing down towards the nut I play it pretty much straight out with my thumb wrapping around the top of the neck. As I work higher up the neck I just tilt the neck up and down while playing as needed. I can actually get pretty close to the Fieldy position if I'm playing at the end of the fretboard. I use one of those locking straps made out of seatbelt type material so it slides easily over my shoulder without too much friction as I'm tilting the bass up and down.

I think I too am somewhere in the middle.

Archived