alright.. this is the last thread about it, but.... (avatar)

ryanstanley

• Members

like ive said in some other threads, you guys may have just about convinced me to get an avatar cab.

just one more question (sorry, i cant actually try one out before i buy it, so i want to know for sure):

comparing an ampeg 810 to an Avatar 410 & a 212, which setup gives you the most for the money? considering everything: overall tone, solid construction, etc, AND price, which am i better off getting?

in other words, im willing to spend the extra $$ on the ampeg 810 if it's worth it.. but if i can get something of similar quality for cheaper, i see no reason not to.

opinions?

• Members

I guess it depends on what sorts of things that you consider as important in a cab. My 210/212 neo rig is easy on the back and has great tone. If weight wasn't important to me though, I may be using a different rig.

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

I guess it depends on what sorts of things that you consider as important in a cab. My 210/212 neo rig is easy on the back and has great tone. If weight wasn't important to me though, I may be using a different rig.

yeah, i dont care much about weight

i just need volume and tone. everything else is secondary

• Members

Originally posted by ryanstanley

i dont get why so many people do care about that, really.. i mean, theyve got wheels, and even if they didn't you never really have to carry it more than like 30 feet...

Try hauling gear (without casters) up three flights of stairs (without an elevator) to play a gig in a private club, and you'll get the picture :p

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

Try hauling gear (without casters) up three flights of stairs (without an elevator) to play a gig in a private club, and you'll get the picture
:p

Also, I've found that heavier cabs leave deeper dents in walls. And, when you're the guy who's making the repairs....

• Members

My second-to-last load-in involved carrying my gear 100 yards to a freight elevator, riding up three stories, then another 100 yards on an outdoor catwalk. It was like a "World's Strongest Man Contest" event.

Hence my current quest for lighter gear.

• Members

DISCLAIMER: the following opinions are based on my current ownership of an Ampeg 8x10 and past ownership of an Avatar 2x12 Delta.

The sound is going to be different between those two rigs no matter what due to sealed vs. ported construction. I believe each will give you the volume you're looking for. The Ampeg will be tighter and punchier whereas the Avatars will be deeper and give you more boom.

Portability-wise the Ampeg isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be--tilt and roll. Going down stairs with it isn't too bad, but going up can be a bitch. Just make sure you have 4' of cargo space in the back of your vehicle, and the tilt & slide loading is pretty easy for one person to do. I couldn't imagine trying to slide it in the backseat of a 4-door sedan though. The Avatars, being a modular setup, are likely fit into more vehicles but remember you'll have to deadlift that 85lb. 4x10 each and every time you load it.

Construction-wise both are solidly built with a slight edge to the Ampeg IMO. However with the covering you'll have to deal with the lesser of two evils--the tolex on the Ampeg or the carpeting on the Avatars. If you go with the Ampeg I'd recommend getting some marine grade vinyl from a fabric store and have someone you know who sews make you a cover for it. That's what I did and 100+ gigs later mine has no tears on it anywhere. The Avatar's carpet of course will pick up every piece of lint in a 2 square mile area.

Price-wise the Avatars come in right around the $700 mark shipped. If you look around and check with local shops you can find the Ampegs new for $800. I did.

So which rig should you choose? It's really up to you to decide. For me there is no "one cab fits all" solution. I like to have a few at my disposal for different gig settings, that's why I have an 8x10, an 8x8, and a 2x10.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :thu:

• Members

like ive said in some other threads, you guys may have just about convinced me to get an avatar cab.

just one more question (sorry, i cant actually try one out before i buy it, so i want to know for sure):

comparing an ampeg 810 to an Avatar 410 & a 212, which setup gives you the most for the money? considering everything: overall tone, solid construction, etc, AND price, which am i better off getting?

in other words, im willing to spend the extra $$ on the ampeg 810 if it's worth it.. but if i can get something of similar quality for cheaper, i see no reason not to.

opinions?

:(

1. Don't always believe the hype.

2. If you have heard ampeg cabs or heard the one you are looking at, go with the ampeg.

One lesson to learn from here is don't get something you have never heard before, you may be severly disappointed.

That being said, go with the ampeg, it'll be worth it in the long run for the extra $$ :)

• Members

I've never been all that impressed by the Ampeg 8x10, but I don't care for that type of sound.

I think a two cab configuration is always better because it gives you more options.

It doesn't take much effort to put some industrial grade wheels on an Avatar cab.

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

I've never been all that impressed by the Ampeg 8x10, but I don't care for that type of sound.

I've never played any Ampeg amp or cab, and seriously considered buying it. They just don't do it for me.

Of course, when I asked to plug the GK1001rbII into the Ampeg 8x10 at GC, the sales guy's head exploded. Very messy.:D

C7

• Members

opinions?

Get a Scion mini-van. Try to put the 8X10 in, then try to put the two avatar cabs in. See which fits the best. Also, when you have two cabs, you can take just one to smaller gigs. Of course, if the 8x10 is the sound you always wanted, get a Chevy Suburban and go for it!

• Members

Originally posted by RobRoy

Get a Scion mini-van. Try to put the 8X10 in, then try to put the two avatar cabs in. See which fits the best. Also, when you have two cabs, you can take just one to smaller gigs. Of course, if the 8x10 is the sound you always wanted, get a Chevy Suburban and go for it!

im just not that worried about it, man.. sure, it's big. whoop dee doo :freak:

i have three bandmates, all perfectly willing to help carry. im sure i can borrow a truck when i need one. i can rent a trailer for tour. having a big, heavy cab doesnt inconvenience me in the slightest. all it does is make me loud, and really proud of my huge cab :D

• Members

i dont get why so many people do care about that, really.. i mean, theyve got wheels, and even if they didn't you never really have to carry it more than like 30 feet...

Wait until you are in your 50's. Then you will understand.

• Members

im just not that worried about it, man.. sure, it's big. whoop dee doo
:freak:

i have three bandmates, all perfectly willing to help carry. im sure i can borrow a truck when i need one. i can rent a trailer for tour. having a big, heavy cab doesnt inconvenience me in the slightest. all it does is make me loud, and really proud of my huge cab
:D

If size and weight are not an issue, and you don't need the suburban, you should get the one with the look and sound you like best!

• Members

comparing an ampeg 810 to an Avatar...

You shouldn't.

Here are some other things you shouldn't compare.

BMW to Hundai.

The Wright Flyer to an F/A-22.

Tofu to prime rib.

Two Dixie cups and a string to a Motorola Razr.

A bottle rocket to a cruise missile.

Dolby surround sound to an iPod.

A super soaker to a fire engine.

A rowboat to the QEII

Having sex to filling out your 1040A.

• Members

Here Here!

Go with the Ampeg. You get what you pay for too. My 810 sounds wonderfull and its all one cab, not two deadweights with no wheels.:p

When I go with gear, I look at whos playing it and what style of music it is. For regg. dub style you probley wanna go with some 15 or 18' subs, not tiny 8' speakers. The 810 do a good job over all though.

My only bitch is my Low B would sound better, but you need an 15 or 18 for that, or get the Ampeg PRO8-10 witch has more bottom end and more everything! With a bigger pricetag and more weight.

You dont wanna do the shoulda coulda thing later on!

I know this firsthand. Good luck!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

You shouldn't.

Here are some other things you shouldn't compare.

BMW to Hundai.

The Wright Flyer to an F/A-22.

Tofu to prime rib.

Two Dixie cups and a string to a Motorola Razr.

A bottle rocket to a cruise missile.

Dolby surround sound to an iPod.

A super soaker to a fire engine.

A rowboat to the QEII

Having sex to filling out your 1040A.

dude... you are CRAZED...... there is NO WAY that an ampeg 810 is that much better than my avatar rig......

while considering speaker config./ported/unported/ all that jazz, sure... they have their obvious differences, but i wouldnt go nearly that far with comparing their sound....

EDIT: that is to say, i realize the sound you get from the two rig options will be noticeably different, but as far as "good tone"/"bad tone" i think they will both sound great in their respective ways.....

not the neos anyway..... i havent ever played the kappas or the deltas......

now comparing.... say a hartke 810 to an ampeg 810........ THEN you can use your overexaggerated analogy.... ;)

• Members

opinions?

btw... my .02 cents on the matter....

i think you are paying more for the ampeg name than your are the avatar name, all things considered.... but at the same time, they are both WELL WORTH their prices.....

I think avatar could EASILY raise their prices and still be well worth the money.....

on the otherhand.... if ampeg cabs cost the same as avatars.... i probably would have have gone with the ampeg.... but i'm VERY glad I went with avatar, and i have no plans of going with any other rig for SEVERAL years....... i may even go with avatar again should my two cabs crap out on me in 20 years or so ;)

• Members

im just not that worried about it, man.. sure, it's big. whoop dee doo
:freak:

i have three bandmates, all perfectly willing to help carry. im sure i can borrow a truck when i need one. i can rent a trailer for tour. having a big, heavy cab doesnt inconvenience me in the slightest. all it does is make me loud, and really proud of my huge cab
:D

It sounds like you've already made up your mind.

;)

Archived