help me with info about this bass

Saturday

• Members

It looks like a genuine Fender Jazz Bass, circa 1974-1980. Basses built in that period featured the bullet truss-rod at the headstock.

The finish is Mocha, which was a custom color. In the US that bass might go for USD $1800 or higher, based on condition and originality.

The '70s were not a good decade for Fender. Quality control was slipping, but it is possible to find a nice '70s Fender. I'd recommend playing it before buying.

Good luck! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

It looks like a genuine Fender Jazz Bass, circa 1974-1980. Basses built in that period featured the bullet truss-rod at the headstock.

The finish is Mocha, which was a custom color. In the US that bass might go for USD $1800 or higher, based on condition and originality.

The '70s were not a good decade for Fender. Quality control was slipping, but it is possible to find a nice '70s Fender. I'd recommend playing it before buying.

Good luck!
:thu:

Weren't most jazzes from the 70's kinda... lousy? Still, might be a good one. The color looks nice.

• Members

Originally posted by Zebra

Weren't most jazzes from the 70's kinda... lousy? Still, might be a good one. The color looks nice.

Many '70s Fenders were absolute pooches. There are some nice players out there, though, so I'd recommend playing before buying. I had an early '70s P in high school (in the late '70s), and it was pretty nice as I recall.

• Members

Many '70s Fenders were absolute pooches. There are some nice players out there, though, so I'd recommend playing before buying. I had an early '70s P in high school (in the late '70s), and it was pretty nice as I recall.

I recal being told that P's of the era held up better than J's, I don't know why that would be, though.

• Members

Originally posted by Zebra

I recal being told that P's of the era held up better than J's, I don't know why that would be, though.

P-basses never had the bullet truss rod, or the three bolt neck-joint. That might have something to do with it.

That, and it's pretty hard to bugger up a bass with so few parts. P-basses are about as basic as you can get. :D

• Members

It looks like a genuine Fender Jazz Bass, circa 1974-1980.

Headstock "Jazz Bass" font is wrong for a late 70s - that font is the early 70s font. So, judging from the pic, that neck is an early 70s (pre '74-'75) - possible late 60s. I don't like the way the "B" in "Bass" is right at the edge of the headstock - like a bad decal overlay - but that still doesn't mean anything....That bass should have a three-bolt neck - if it has a four-bolt neck, then there is a high probability that the wrong body is on it. Pickups are wrong (EMGs?) and I can't tell if the knobs are wrong but thats all I can tell from the photos without seeing it up close and personal. From the photo, the body itself looks right ( a quick trick I do when I actually find an older Fender is to take the pickguard off and look for extra pickguard drill-holes - this is usually a sign it was a 'pirated' replacement body - saves me the trouble of taking it apart to look for date and sig at the heel joint). The pic gives the body a refin appearance ( once again, I need to see it up close in person to see if its a refin ). Obviously I can't see the pots but if those are EMGs, I'll bet that the pots have been changed. Pics are no help with the bridge and everything else that I can not scrutinize. This is what the vintage a-holes call a "Player' bass which - providing it is all 'correct' - these are the ones I personally look for myself. That's all I can tell from the photos without seeing it.

Providing that it is a refin (it would be great if the paint was right) "Player" bass, with the actual correct Fender body and neck, and it has no cracks ANYWHERE (checking is OK), for myself I would offer $400 -$500. Hope this helps......Good Luck

• Members

Originally posted by DevilRaysFan

Headstock "Jazz Bass" font is wrong for a late 70s - that font is the early 70s font. So, judging from the pic, that neck is an early 70s (pre '74-'75) - possible late 60s. I don't like the way the "B" in "Bass" is right at the edge of the headstock - like a bad decal overlay - but that still doesn't mean anything....That bass should have a three-bolt neck - if it has a four-bolt neck, then there is a high probability that the wrong body is on it. Pickups are wrong (EMGs?) and I can't tell if the knobs are wrong but thats all I can tell from the photos without seeing it up close and personal. From the photo, the body itself looks right ( a quick trick I do when I actually find an older Fender is to take the pickguard off and look for extra pickguard drill-holes - this is usually a sign it was a 'pirated' replacement body - saves me the trouble of taking it apart to look for date and sig at the heel joint). The pic gives the body a refin appearance ( once again, I need to see it up close in person to see if its a refin ). Obviously I can't see the pots but if those are EMGs, I'll bet that the pots have been changed. Pics are no help with the bridge and everything else that I can not scrutinize. This is what the vintage a-holes call a "Player' bass which - providing it is all 'correct' - these are the ones I personally look for myself. That's all I can tell from the photos without seeing it.

Providing that it is a refin (it would be great if the paint was right) "Player" bass, with the actual correct Fender body and neck, and it has no cracks ANYWHERE (checking is OK), for myself I would offer $400 -$500. Hope this helps......Good Luck

thanks for all the detailed information.

i asked and the guy told me that he has the original pickups.

i have a early 90s MIJ Jazz Bass. The guy is asking for this old Fender for $650. i don

• Members

Your welcome...providing it follows the criteria stated above ( and that he does have the original PU/pots)...original case would be nice too..... $650 is not unreasonable but I would try to get him to $500 or $600 or at least get free shipping out of it. ....As far as it being an upgrade from your MIJ? No such thing as an upgrade - a bass will either feel good to you and do what you want or it won't, regardless of pricetag or manufacturer......Once again, good luck

Archived