best walking basslines

fishfartz

• Members

what songs do you feel has the best walking basslines?

id like to explore a little more. every time i kind of "find" a new one when writing i realize ive heard it before somewhere.

they are fun and make me want to walk with a little strut in my step

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

every time i kind of "find" a new one when writing i realize ive heard it before somewhere.

That's because a walking bassline is just the outline of a chord progression. Relatively speaking, chord progressions are fairly finite... so it's going to be difficult to find one that has never been done before.

Keep in mind that walking basslines aren't meant to be incredibly original. Their purpose is to provide tonal stability for the rythmn section, and melodic movement for the lead/solo instruments.

There are plenty of good walking basslines to listen to. As bassgeek mentioned, Killer Joe is a good tune, plenty of movement, and not too difficult. It was the first walking bassline my instructor had me transcribe (and play) when I was learning to walk bass... and for a good reason.

A good start might also be Moondance by Van Morrisson (on the Jazzy side), and Sweet Home Chicago by The Blues Brothers (on the Bluesy side). The tunes are easy to come by, you're probably familiar with them already, and they have excellent bassists playing on them.

Other than that... just listen to some good Jazz. Find a few songs with walking lines you dig... and transcribe them.

Anything with Paul Chambers on it should be top notch. Arguably the best jazz bassist.

• Members

Originally posted by PaulyWally

That's because a walking bassline is just the outline of a chord progression. Relatively speaking, chord progressions are fairly finite... so it's going to be difficult to find one that has never been done before.

Keep in mind that walking basslines aren't meant to be incredibly original. Their purpose is to provide tonal stability for the rythmn section, and melodic movement for the lead/solo instruments.

There are plenty of good walking basslines to listen to. As bassgeek mentioned,
Killer Joe
is a good tune, plenty of movement, and not too difficult. It was the first walking bassline my instructor had me transcribe (and play) when I was learning to walk bass... and for a good reason.

A good start might also be
Moondance
by Van Morrisson (on the Jazzy side), and
Sweet Home Chicago
by The Blues Brothers (on the Bluesy side). The tunes are easy to come by, you're probably familiar with them already, and they have excellent bassists playing on them.

Other than that... just listen to some good Jazz. Find a few songs with walking lines you dig... and transcribe them.

Anything with Paul Chambers on it should be top notch. Arguably the best jazz bassist.

thanks alot man, very helpful

;)

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

Certainly not what I'd call the best but it's a really fun song to play: Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

brings back old memories, used to play that in high school pep band!

it is a fun song, and yes it's not the best. more like the first walking bass line you learn.

Archived