slapping with fret hand fingers?

jbush4

• Members

i was just wondering how many of you who play slap bass predominantly use your fret hand fingers when slapping (maybe i should use the term tapping for this one).... but the combination of slapping and tapping sounds great. any input?

• Members

If you mean "Fret Hand Slapping," then you are talking a technique P-Nut uses a bunch.

If you are talking "Tapping," thats plucking hand fretting.

If you are talking hammers, thats fret-hand tapping.

And I've done all of them.:) I don't do the fret-hand slapping much anymore, as I could never get it to sound really clean and I learned how to double thump, which is a similar result through a different technique.

• Members

Originally posted by jbush4

do you think it looks peculiar to slap with the four fret hand fingers one after another as if you were doing a little drum roll on the strings?

Yeah, I do this sometimes, not so much as a musical thing but more as a 'look how much crazy noise I can make, bitches, now let's play some {censored}ing sungs!'

I lack patience

• Members

As I said in the second of the slap videos I posted, muted notes are (In my opinion) just as (If not more) important than regular slapped or popped notes.

If you are not usuing your left hand to play muted notes, you are losing a LOT of flexibility on what you can play. Left handed mutes make a LOT of stuff doable that would otherwise be extremely hard and/or impossible to play.

Archived