Ok, lets talk bass kits

u6crash

• Members

One alternative I am considering to buying a new bass is buying a kit or the parts necessary to build one. Here are some I've considered:

Carivin Bolt Bass Kit: I've built one of these before and it was pretty decent. The only problem is that it only lends itself towards so much experimentation/upgrades in the future. Only Carvin pups will fit it and only another Carvin bass bolt kit will fit the body. $399

WD Music Products Kit: The cool thing about these kits is that the parts come finished already (though you can only choose from about five body colors). Choice of Jazz or P Bass body/pup combinations. $449 (might spend $20 more to upgrade to tortoise shell pickguard)

Mighty Mite: Cost would be comparable to the WD kit by the time I was done. I could easily upgrade bridge and tuners myself and I've heard the body and necks work pretty well together.

All Parts: Cost comparable to Mighty Mite. I've heard there is a little bit of play where the neck heel meets the body.

Stew Mac: Might be source of a neck, but they don't sell bass bodies anymore. Maybe they never did, but I thought I'd seen them there before.

The one thing I would really like is a kit with an unshaped bass neck headstock. Then I could prototype some of my own headstock designs.

And of course there are many guitars I could just go out and buy for the price too, and I might scope out the big evil Guitar Center this morning just to see what they have.

Other options such are Warmoth and USA Custom guitars are certainly out there, but defeat the purpose of saving money. Warmoth necks also don't have a truss rod adjustment at the headstock unless you get an angled headstock.

• Members

wellif want cheap and decent I am sure someone mentioned SX....

www.rondomusic.com the body and neck are worth the price (and then some) and it leaves a pile of cash for updrading/modding/experimenting while giving a decent working bass.

there are a couple sellers on ebay who have loaded bodies and necks with or without tuners for fender style basses.

slonk18 and reliablefender are two I believe. I bought a body and neck from Slonk18(goerdt lambert) a year or two ago...basically a Geddy Lee Jazz with standard width at the nut and string though body option....pretty nice piece IMHO

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

I've heard mixed things about the SX basses. Do their bodies and necks meet Fender specs? I mean, if I thought the body was fine but I wanted a better neck, could I put one on it pretty painlessly?

Yes.

As far as carvin goes, the carvin necks are some of the nicest I've ever played, so don't worry about that. They're also some of the only ones to have uncut headstocks.

• Members

I built my own P bass a year ago that

worked out great. Here's the parts that I

used:

Mighty Mite unfinished maple body.

Mighty Mite neck.

Mighty Mite Pickguard. (Standard P bass

pickguards don't quite fit right on a

Mighty Mite body, so you have to use this.)

Ping Tuners (These are the same as the

ones Mighty Mite sells, and these fit

best on the headstock.)

Dimarzio pickup

Fender Vintage American Bridge

Fender American standard pots.

The price came out to be just under $400

for everything including the urethane

finishing materials and shielding tape.

I didn't like the feel of the satin finish

on the neck, so I put a couple of coats

of glossy urethane over it. Now it's