Best of the MegaFenders?

dakhwon

• Members

Well, now that I'm fairly set and decided on the tone and style I want from here on out (mmm mmm Pbass), I have to realign my GAS goals! So for the sake of argument, under $3000, who makes the best SuperFender? Pbass or Jazz... though I'm more interested in the P side of things...

Some possible canidates:

Sadowsky

Mike Lull

G&L

Lakland (love that Duck Dunn!)

Fender USA (gotta give the original a say)

Modulus

Warmoth and a competent builder?

Guys that have had to make this decision, what factored in to it?

• Members

the mim Fender's are hard to beat for less than $500 street. they're kinda like the pre-cbs vintage pieces, in a way . . .

with a restring & pro set-up you're good to go.

get a mim P, J & fretless all for less than $2k.

that said, i do dig the Fender Custom Shop Models, especially the Pino Sig, 58 P Ltd and pretty much all of the others too . . .

:cool:

• Members

with that last (and I no this isn't helpful) I bet you can't go wrong...

I would think that an American made Lakland P like the Bob Glaub would be hard to beat by anyone....even at the hihgher price I can't imagine Sadowsky makes a better P

I would even look at a Valenti...kind if like your Warmoth and a builder option he has put together a couple Ps that make me weka in the knees...and you know he knows his stuff with his backround

also only hear great things about Mike Lull...

Fender Custom shop...but then I think you are in the high 3s with Sadowsky....

• Members

Sadowski

Lakland

Lull

in that order for the big builders.

I personally would go with a Valenti because his stuff kicks ass, he's always around and he will make it to your specs using what you want. All that plus half the price and you get a 5 day trial period.

Dan

• Members

G&L ASAT or L-2000: same electronics, different body shape. It can sound like a Jazz ( almost any Jazz setting also), solo the mid PU and it can sound like just about any P-Bass and you can dial in just about any P pickup sound PLUS you get a reasonably good Stingray sound out of it as well. Look at it as three basses for the price of one :thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by DevilRaysFan

G&L ASAT or L-2000: same electronics, different body shape. It can sound like a Jazz ( almost any Jazz setting also), solo the mid PU and it can sound like just about any P-Bass and you can dial in just about any P pickup sound PLUS you get a reasonably good Stingray sound out of it as well. Look at it as three basses for the price of one
:thu:

I'd agree with that. Although the Lakland Duck Dunn isn't too far ahead. And if you want the "Be All End Alllllll" of p basses, then you want a P BASS. Right?

That said, I'm perfectly happy with my '93 G&L LB-100. Its a G&L p-bass. even though I could afford more a more expensive P-Bass or alike, and I also have an ASAT, an L-2000, and a Stingray variant. :D

• Members

I think the American Deluxe P Ash V is the mother of all P-Basses. Double HipShot Trees, Bone Nut, String-Thru Body, 18 Volt P/Double-J pups give it a tone that is unmatched by any other P-Bass copy. Likewise, the fretwork, bindings and finish are beautiful and it's one of the best looking basses I've ever seen.

I have the J version of this bass and I think it falls a little short (to the P) in terms of tone. I would also consider the Beck Signature.

• Members

Originally posted by g.ghost

Check out Pedulla.

Plays beautifully and sounds great.

It might have been I got a lemon but the one I owned couldn't eve compete with my Ibby ATK or my MIA Jazzbass... ...and those two aren't the best basses on the market.

YMMV though I still keep on reading great reviews on them.

• Members

Originally posted by Jamacuco

It might have been I got a lemon but the one I owned couldn't eve compete with my Ibby ATK or my MIA Jazzbass... ...and those two aren't the best basses on the market.

Yeah I'm not a fan either.

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by Jamacuco

Yeah, I know what you mean-my roommate has a Thunderbolt, and the thing sounds like a a castrated Squier compared to the Bongo. I don't know what it is, but the thing just doesn't have any balls.

• Members

Originally posted by 82Daion

Yeah, I know what you mean-my roommate has a Thunderbolt, and the thing sounds like a a castrated Squier compared to the Bongo. I don't know what it is, but the thing just doesn't have any balls.

Not to defend the Pedulla, but there are a lot of basses that sound like that compared to the Bongo:D

Dan

Archived