Characteristics of Yorkville 8x8 compared to a SWR 8x8?

ToeJamFootball

• Members

the store i buy form in melbourne has a Henry 8x8 in stock at the moment.

i was just wondering if someone could describe the sounds of the Yorkie and the sounds of the SWR?

thanks.

also, do you think it would be wise to go with Yorkie, given that SWR is now owned by fender, mabye reliabilty issues?

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

I've got a SWR 8x8 that I bought used. Really tight and punchy.

It's sort of like a mini-8x10, it takes the footprint of a 6x10. It handles low end very well.

I've got a Henry as well and I totally agree with this. No experience with the Yorkville though.

• Members

I own a SWR 8x8, 4x10 and 1x18 so I can only compare them to each other. I've never played the Yorkie.

The 8x8 sounds very, very full. It also nails the lows and all of the cone surface area really pounds you. I think it's great.

The 4x10 seems too clanky for me. The 18 is amazing. It doesn't have the lows like the 8x8 but it's very smooth and sounds the best out of all of them (it just doesn't have the pounding surface area the 8s do).

Unforunately the 8x8 only handles like 450 watts if I remember correctly.

You can't go wrong. Go play it.

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

The 8x8 sounds very, very full. It also nails the lows and all of the cone surface area really pounds you. I think it's great.

Unforunately the 8x8 only handles like 450 watts if I remember correctly.

Yo.

Pretty much how I would characterize the Yorkie 8x8. Very full sounding, yet pretty tight. As I mentioned earlier, it handles 800W.

Did I miss something? I thought you bought the Traynor amp last week?

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

Pretty much how I would characterize the Yorkie 8x8. Very full sounding, yet pretty tight. As I mentioned earlier, it handles 800W.

Yeah I was a little disapointed to find that it only handles 450. How hard could it be to bump up the speaker handling? I'll never play 450 watts through it but I'd like to have some margin for error.

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

Did I miss something? I thought you bought the Traynor amp last week?

yeah i did, but when i get to melbourne, they wont have atryanor in stock, so i am going to play through a fender tube amp, which should at least get me closer to the traynors sound than an ampeg.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

Yeah I was a little disapointed to find that it only handles 450. How hard could it be to bump up the speaker handling? I'll never play 450 watts through it but I'd like to have some margin for error.

Yo.

Doubtful without losing the cab's signature tone. Remember the older ones (pre-Fender from what I've read) are loaded with Celestions, which sound fantastic IMO. FWIW I've gigged mine with 100 tube watts, 425w, and 1400w without PA support and not had any issues.

I'm starting to think that out of all the stuff I have, my 70s Ampeg V-4 100w tube head and the Henry is my favorite gig rig combination. Friday's gig confirmed that. Damn does this cab go low without sacrificing the growl. Love it! I think I'll use it again this coming weekend as a matter of fact. :love:

Archived