EBMM Sub vs G&L L2000

Narcosynthesis

• Members

Looking at a new bass, and its pretty much down to these two, both of which look awesome for different reasons, so I am asking to hear your opinions on these and how they compare

The G&L looks pretter with the trans tops, and gives me the option of a maple fretboard (which I would like) and also has more tonal variation between two pickups and more control

the MM is a lot simpler, not as keen on the finish and the rosewood fretboard, but when I got to try one of these out (haven't been able to try a G&L) it just felt awesome, a smaller neater body compared to my jazz bass which felt very cool, I don't know how that compares to the G&L

Basically I am torn, the G&L gets me a nicer finish option and neck, but the MM I tried just felt really nice to hold and play, so I want to hear what you guys think of the two and if you have compared them

David

• Members

The G&L can sound like an EBMM, the EBMM can't grok all of the sounds the G&L can do. Plus, there's the option to run your G&L passive, which the EB can't do. But, the simplicity of the EBMM is hard to beat. The G&L will take longer to dial in, but, IMO, will sound better when you get there.

• Members

In my opinion the G&L rules all over the MM Sub. The range of tones that you can get out of the L2000 is unreal while the sub's a bit of a one trick pony in my book.

And if you really like the smaller body you can always get the G&L ASAT. It sounds just like the L2000 but the body is a little smaller. Oh look, here's one now...

asatbassfront.jpg

;)

• Members

It would be the tribute series, the 'real' G&L's are a bit out of my range, so I couldn't get the ASAT

I like the simplicity of the EBMM, and I already have a MIM Jazz for doing other sounds, I guess teh G&L comes out much better on spec, but theres somethign I like about the EBMM, even though I don't particularly love the finish or rosewood fretboard

I know ones US made and ones Eastern, but that means jack to me really...

David

• Members

The tribs sound just as good as the US made ones so there's no worry there. You have got to play one somehow. That's the only way to know for sure. It would be a shame to buy a "Sub" par bass 'cause it's the only one you could try. ;)

Just a little joke there, no need for flames...

Edit: I think the Tribute would cover the "sub/stingray" sound pretty well as mentioned earlier, but will also rule all over the MIM Jazz. Taste is subjective, but I own a stingray and a Jazz and to my ears the G&L schools both of them. Easily. If it's at all possible to try one out there you should really make the effort.

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

Unfortunately there is nowhere I can get to that has any to try, only the SUB
:(
so if I get the G&L it is blind

David

buy in confidence g&l's quality controll is top notch. worst case scenario you have to have it setup witch you should do with any bass:thu: some of the older tributes are rumored to have scratchy pots but thats has been taken care of with the more recent ones. if you happen to get one that does have the scratchy pots you can contact g&l and they will send replacement pots to you.

i am not an employee of G&l just a satisfied customer :thu:

side note if they are hiring i wouldnt mind working for them;)

• Members

Originally posted by RockBass

Get it then. Even if you get the G&L, you'll still be wanting that "something" and it will drive you nuts. I speak from experience.

Then again, it still isn't exactly what I want - ie a maple neck, and not that finish, ie, a 'proper' Stingray, which is quite a bit out of my price range, the G&L being much closer and in my price range...

David

• Members

I've got an old MusicMan Cutlass I (Stingray with a graphite neck) and also an L-2000, and an ASAT. I'd recommend all of them. The Tribute L-2000's neck will be much like the Stingray's in profile. The neck on the Sub will be painted, where the neck on the L-2000 will be finished. That may make a difference to you in feel. The L-2000 can sound quite a bit similar to the Stingray, (and the Active Sub) There were some subs that were passive I thought.... The L-2000 is a bit more versatile as said above, but it can't quite get that Stingray raunch out of it.

As it is, I'd choose the Tribute. It's not the greatest bass in the world, no.... It is a Tribute. :D

• Members

I own a bunch of basses (including a StingRay) but my '95 ASAT is my #1 and I can't recommend an ASAT/L-2000 anymore than I already do. Bottom line: you get a StingRay-ish sound out of an ASAT/L-2000 as well as a ton of other sounds ( it can sound like a Jazz and P-bass too) but not vice-versa

...please thoroughly enjoy that $.02

• Members

Yeah, the G&L has a more P sized body, much bigger than the sterling (I've owned both). I think thats why I prefer my SB-2 so much is the smaller body. But having said that, both the sterling and the G&L are comfy to play for long periods, but the SUB does NOt have the tummy and forearm routes, its a slab body (IIRC?).

• Members

I'll toss in another vote for the G&L L2000.

The Neck feels great, plays great. The Body feels very good!

I tried it out with a Strap, standing up for about half an hour.

That was after I played with the Electronics, tone tweeking on it for at least half an hour.

It's the most appealing new Bass I've come across in a long time.

• Members

Thoughts so far then...

The small body of the SUB is appealing to me, my jazz bass can feel rather unweildy and is a bit unbalanced sitting down - the smaller body and headstock of the SUB feel awesome and balance perfectly, whereas the G&L has the larger p body and headstock. The finishes are different, cool in a way but not my first choice, and I wouldn't be able to get one with a maple fretboard

The G&L trumps it on versatility and finish/fingerboard options though, and gets the thumbs up from virtually everyone here - the range of sounds on offer would almost make my jazz bass a bit pointless though

David

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

Thoughts so far then...

The small body of the SUB is appealing to me, my jazz bass can feel rather unweildy and is a bit unbalanced sitting down - the smaller body and headstock of the SUB feel awesome and balance perfectly, whereas the G&L has the larger p body and headstock. The finishes are different, cool in a way but not my first choice, and I wouldn't be able to get one with a maple fretboard

The G&L trumps it on versatility and finish/fingerboard options though, and gets the thumbs up from virtually everyone here - the range of sounds on offer would almost make my jazz bass a bit pointless though

David

So what you do is get the G&L Tribute. Once you have that, sell the MIM Jazz and then save up a wee bit more and with the money from the jazz, get the SUB. :idea:

You'll have the best of all worlds and bitchen backup bass no mater which turns out to be your favorite. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by billybigmouth

So what you do is get the G&L Tribute. Once you have that, sell the MIM Jazz and then save up a wee bit more and with the money from the jazz, get the SUB.
:idea:

You'll have the best of all worlds and bitchen backup bass no mater which turns out to be your favorite.
:thu:

I like the jazz and don't want to sell it though...

God I am an awkward sod :o

David

Archived