EBMM Sub vs G&L L2000

Narcosynthesis

• Members

IME, Tributes are a FAR, FAR cry from the real deal G&Ls. The ones I've tried have fit issues. No big deal if you can see past big neck gaps and poorly dressed frets. I mean most SX have the same issues but play perfectly fine and sound great.

I will buy a used US G&L or EBMM before a Trib.

• Members

Originally posted by syciprider

IME, Tributes are a FAR, FAR cry from the real deal G&Ls. The ones I've tried have fit issues. No big deal if you can see past big neck gaps and poorly dressed frets. I mean most SX have the same issues but play perfectly fine and sound great.

I will buy a used US G&L or EBMM before a Trib.

what are you talking about:confused: i have a local dealer of G&L here in tulsa and i could not find a notable differance in the fit of the neck and the fret dressing between the USA made l2000 and the Korean made one.

• Members
Originally posted by jonathan_matos5

what are you talking about:confused: i have a local dealer of G&L here in tulsa and i could not find a notable differance in the fit of the neck and the fret dressing between the USA made l2000 and the Korean made one.

I quite agree, I played an L-2000 and a Tribute back and forth for about an hour and was simply amazed at how well the trib compared. There was a slight cosmetic superiority on the US one, but surely no faults on the tribute I played. And tone wise I could not find any deficit on the tribute either. It just sounds gorgeous.

My tastes lean towards the more traditional "Leo" sounding instruments. Fender MM and G&L. For that type of sound (non-Bart/boutique tone) I truly think the G&L tribute is the best bass for the buck available anywhere.

And that is the last gushing this admited G&L Lover will do in this thread. :wave:

• Members

As you can see in the attachment, my slab body Cutlass I and my L-2000 are very similar in size and shape. My Cutlass is even slab bodied like SUBs are. The L-2000 really isn't as big as a P bass's body. At least the newer L-2000s with the smaller bodies... The older ones are a bit larger. I measured my L-2000 before I took this pic and its body is actually smaller than my Cutlass I at its fattest part.

Just a little more info for you Narcosynthesis...

• Members
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

Thoughts so far then...

The small body of the SUB is appealing to me, my jazz bass can feel rather unweildy and is a bit unbalanced sitting down - the smaller body and headstock of the SUB feel awesome and balance perfectly, whereas the G&L has the larger p body and headstock. The finishes are different, cool in a way but not my first choice, and I wouldn't be able to get one with a maple fretboard

The G&L trumps it on versatility and finish/fingerboard options though, and gets the thumbs up from virtually everyone here - the range of sounds on offer would almost make my jazz bass a bit pointless though

David

Ernie Ball has discontinued the SUBs because the price of parts rose too high to make manufacturing them worthwhile. So if you buy one you know you will get what you pay for.

I have a SUB5 fretless and it is of excellent quality. It doesn't feel like a poor cousin to my Stingray 4: just a different bass.

Besides, you find the feel and the balance very comfortable. IMHO that's worth a lot!

Don't let the SUB get away. They aren't making any more.

_MG_6405sm.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by philthygeezer

Ernie Ball has discontinued the SUBs because the price of parts rose too high to make manufacturing them worthwhile. So if you buy one you know you will get what you pay for.

I have a SUB5 fretless and it is of excellent quality. It doesn't feel like a poor cousin to my Stingray 4: just a different bass.

Besides, you find the feel and the balance very comfortable. IMHO that's worth a lot!

Don't let the SUB get away. They aren't making any more.

_MG_6405sm.jpg

That's a nice bass!

• Members

Anyone directly compared the two?

At the moment I am still stuck between the two, the G&L has all the features and sounds I could want, whereas the SUB is just the basics (but in a smaller neater style I do quite like) in a nice simple package
Actually one tiny inconsequential thing I do remember from playing the SUB - the pickup has two 'tags' for the screws at the top, which anchored my thumb perfectly playing...

Reading through the reviews on the mainsite both get pretty unanimous 'fantastic' reviews, so I guess both would be solid, but I can't help thinking if I buy the SUB I will wander about the versatility of hte G&L, or if I buy the G&L I will miss the simplicity and style of the SUB :o
I am going to have another play with the SUB locally and see how it compared to my Jazz at least, still nowhere I can get to with a G&L though...

awkward sod I am :(

David

• Members

I've played the SUB and I own a Tribute L-2000. Personally, I like the G&L more. The Sub's finish on the neck just never felt quite right. The tone on the one I played just wasn't quite it. This goes back to me saying that EBMM can be quite hit-or-miss for me, personally.

Every G&L I've played has just clicked with me. The tone is great, there's lots of tone-shaping options (it's not too overwhelming), and they feel good. They don't cop a Stingray exactly, but they get close.

I just like the G&L's. Ideally, I'll have a G&L and a Stingray someday, because they both are different enough. But if I could have just one, it'd be a G&L.

Dustin

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

Just realised as well, If I go for the SUB, I could also go for the Sterling version - a more jazzlike neck and more eq options

How am I talking myself into the SUB after virtually everyone said go for the G&L?

David

i think its because you like most musicians are weary of buying an instrument that you have never played before, and you have had the chance to play the mm sub.

• Members

Originally posted by jonathan_matos5

i think its because you like most musicians are weary of buying an instrument that you have never played before, and you have had the chance to play the mm sub.

Pretty much, I have played the SUB, know how it feels and sounds, and that I like it, the G&L has the chance of being a bit more hit and miss

Got to try the SUB out again today, not much treble (rather worn strings) but it sounded great - quick test against a jazz bass - jazz had a lot more high end and jangle, but the SUB has a big sound with a lot more bottom end, so a great contrast toe my jazz.

The fact I can't try out a G&L without buying one to find 'hey, that bass is even better' has put me in this direction I guess

David

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I've said before, that I am one of those guys who got wow'd by the Stingray fever but never could get wow'd by the Stingray. However, when I played a SUB active it did catch my attention and I bought. Pricepoint probably played into it. Anyway, so I'm a SUB-lover. :confused::thu:

Havin' said that, I'd throw down on the G&L cold-tofurky. I have no time on these basses, but when I look at the list of who has these basses in their stable or use them as their main performance and recording basses, it's an impressive list. I trust that.

Damn, now I've got the want. :rolleyes:

Archived