Power cord upgrade??

TCEDDIA

• Members

I don't know...will the electrons be more pure coming out of an expensive power cord? If it's a cheap one will they thumb their noses and refuse to cooperate?

I think power cords are all smoke and mirrors. And here's the thing. Audiophiles do this for components that could total into the hundreds of thousands of dollars for a controlled listening environment that is silent, playing reference-level material for input.

At best, you're playing a $3000 bass into a $5000 rig in a noisy club. Any difference that could be imagined or actually perceived would vaporize before your ears, so to speak.

Plus, if I were to upgrade a power cord, I'd buy a Kimber. ;)

Dustin

• Members

Nope

Even if it did do something, electric bass is a pretty lofi source, so any actual benefits would probably be completely overlooked when you consider what the bass is putting out anyway

The other bit - its a load of crap anyway, for one thing, you could use the greatest, most perfect cable that exsists for your power cord, but what about what the wiring between the plug and the mains cables is? it's not going to be audiophile grade...

In any case, I don't really understand where any benefits would come from, your amp takes the ac signal and rectifies it into dc anyway, so any 'clarity' or other nonsense gets evened out when it is converted regardless

David

• Members

Here is one thing to consider: The power cord covers the last 3 feet of power run. In front of that are miles of house & street wiring, transfomers, switch boxes, connectors etc, which are all over the place.

There is really nothing special about the stuff that comes out of your AC outlet and in fact the power supplies of audio products to operate a wide area of power conditions and reject all the variations.

• Members

Don't listen to these haters....it's all true what you've heard. I can sell you a 6' power cord that is 99.99% as good as those high-end audiophile cords, and I'll let it go for less than $150...pm if interested.....c-d

:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Deep Bass

However, it's not a bad idea to have a spare and leave it in your gig bag in case you (or a band-mate) leave your power cord at home by accident. I learned that the hard way
;)

I keep about a half dozen power cords in my toolbox just for this very reason... and I {censored}ing play drums. Someone always forgets theirs.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

I keep about a half dozen power cords in my toolbox just for this very reason... and I {censored}ing play drums. Someone always forgets theirs.

Yeah I'm the same way. I have guitar strings for {censored}'s sake.

Yo.

• Members

However, it's not a bad idea to have a spare and leave it in your gig bag in case you (or a band-mate) leave your power cord at home by accident. I learned that the hard way
;)

One of the benefits of working in IT - every time we get new PCs, we just place them down at the workstations and use the existing cables - we've got a monitor box full of un-opened power cords - I grabbed a bunch to keep in my gear bag as well - never know then one might get stepped on and bent all to sh*t, etc.

• Members

;)

+1 I also have been the victim of the infamous power cord monster he has got more than one of mine I always keep at least one spare of everything now even strings and picks for my guitard player and a drum key and extra mic.You can never be to prepared.

Archived