Rap

The Aardvark

• Members

It's not big, it's not clever.

Although my sister's boyfriend is really into rap. It's kind of funny. He lives in a nice part of the town where my Dad lives, but thinks he lives in the Ghetto and gets lift's of his parents. He wears clothes insanely big for him and has all grey hair naturally*. It's all part of the comedy value**

*Which I think is quite cool.

*But I can't be bothered describing my sister which makes the irony apparent. Even she laughs at him!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What would be some good rap music with real good bass lines? Im' not talking about Lil' Jon or as mentioned, the mainstream rap. I'm talking about maybe rap with an actual band behind it that is actually good. No {censored} that's too boomy either. Just a 5 or 6 string bass. I like hearing low B strings. I remember hearing a song by this guy Necro (I know:rolleyes: ) and the bass in the song kicked ass. It sounded like a real bass player.

• Members

Originally posted by danthepersonage

What would be some good rap music with real good bass lines? Im' not talking about Lil' Jon or as mentioned, the mainstream rap. I'm talking about maybe rap with an actual band behind it that is actually good. No {censored} that's too boomy either. Just a 5 or 6 string bass. I like hearing low B strings. I remember hearing a song by this guy Necro (I know:rolleyes: ) and the bass in the song kicked ass. It sounded like a real bass player.

I would highly recommend you check out Lyrics Born, tracks I Changed My Mind; Bad Dreams; Shake It Off (Bad Dreams II)

Blackalicious has some great bass lines on some of their stuff, specific tracks don't really come to mind right now though...Blazing Arrow would be the album to check out.

Sage Francis is known to tour with a live band, but most of his studio stuff is programmed beats.

Pretty much anything from The Low End Theory by Tribe Called Quest (Ron Carter plays on it)

Big Punisher track Twinz (Deep Cover) has a smokin' bass line (taken from Dr. Dre's original track, but I like this version a little better)

Jurassic 5 has a few too.

More to come later if you want.

• Members

Why is it that country artists drive trucks, wear blue jeans and go to rodeos in their videos and rap artists drive Aston Martins, were million dollar watches and go to house parties? If a country artist did what rap artists do, he/she would be a sellout. If a rap artist did what country artists do, he/she would be too ghetto.

Weird.
:confused::freak:

• Members

Man, turn off the radio already. Anyone who tells you 50 Cent is a good rapper doesn't know what they're talking about. These guys will walk all over anyone on an FM dial:

MF Doom. Raps about junk food, Star Trek, Optimus Prime, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and anything else he can get his hands on. Doesn't always make sense, but he usually collaborates with great producers (e.g. Madlib for the Madvillain project), and some of his lines are a genuine riot.

Sample lines: "Doom nominated for the best rolled L's/And they wondered how he dealt with stress so well/Wild guess? You could say he stay sedated/Some say buddha'd, some say faded/Someday pray that he will grow a foreign barn full/Recent research show it's not so darn harmful" (Madvillain - America's Most blunted)

Sage Francis. For all those "gotta have a message" people out there. Dead serious for the most part, unlike Doom. Likes to talk about politics, society, the youth, etc. etc. Word of caution, he's a radical left-winger and it comes through in his words. Some may not like it...personally, I quite like it.

Sample lines: "If they could sell sanity in a bottle/They'd be charging for compressed air,/And marketing healthcare./They demonize welfare,/Middle class eliminated,/Rich get richer til the poor get educated."

Some others I like are The Streets (British guy, some would say he's not really rap), Del tha Funkee Homosapien, and Doctor Octagon. I think Ghostface is quite good too, though I haven't listened to too much of his material and can't quote any.

Personally, I'd LOVE to play bass for a hip-hop project. Some of the grooves (depends on producer usually--check out Madlib, Rjd2) are truly fat (once again, completely different in character from what you hear on Top 40 radio), the basslines are usually dead simple but outrageously funky (read: less effort, more gratification). And with a programmed/looped beat you never have to worry about the drummer flaking out. :thu: I don't know, I think it would be fun anyway.

• Members
Originally posted by BoundandBlocked

Why is it that country artists drive trucks, wear blue jeans and go to rodeos in their videos and rap artists drive Aston Martins, were million dollar watches and go to house parties? If a country artist did what rap artists do, he/she would be a sellout. If a rap artist did what country artists do, he/she would be too ghetto.

Weird.

:confused::freak:

No. Stereotypical.

• Members
Originally posted by SpaceGhost

Also: Dr Octagon (and all of his identities, Kool Keith and Mr. Nagatco etc).

In fact, he's the one who plays all the real bass lines. You can see him with a bass on the back of his "Black Elvis" record.

Earth people! New York and California! Earth people! I was born on Jupiter!

:thu::freak:

• Members

Originally posted by hi.flyer

im not playing the "ZOMG RACIST" card here at all, but i think the idea of a white, lower/middle-class rapper with lyrics about raping his wife and killing homosexuals was more palatable to some listeners than some scary dude from the hood rapping about his hustling proficiency or guns or spinning rims or whatever.

No, I seriously disagree. His gay bashing brought a lot more media wrath.

• Members

Originally posted by unc1821

eminem suck he did an awful job on 2pac's loyal to the game album which he helped produce. the tracks he did are easily the worst. he is a product of dre skills as a producer.

Not really, he may not be a good producer, but he is an excellent lyricist and MC.

Mind you, I find 2pac to be a little overrated, guess that happens when you die.

• Members

Mainstream rap, not so much into it, but . . .

I'm fortunate to live in Mpls, where there is a very strong "indie/underground" hip-hop scene. I'd recommend checking out just about anyone on Rhymesayers (one of the biggest independent hip-hop labels) for good rap. specifically:
Eyedea and Abilities
P.O.S.
Doomtree (P.O.S. is part of this project, also)
Atmosphere
Heiruspecs (usually plays with a live band)

Granted, I'm more of a indie/alt rock type person, but these are just a few hip-hop/rap acts that I really really respect.

Archived