Help: Combatting Feedback on an Upright

Thunderbroom

• Members

I thought it might be an issue with the varnish on mine, but it was no problem.

Get the cheap-o tape with weak adhesive and you should be fine.

Maybe experiment with a little dust on the adhesive before putting it on.

I'd expect the black to be a standard {censored}-all-to-remove poly though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, and the feedback I would get was body feedback, NOT string feedback. Damping the strings did nothing. Towel behind the tailpiece did almost nothing. Clamping down with my knees worker but was god-awful awkward. The tape took care of it.

• Members

The Gaff on mine does a fine job, I used to have one hell of a time with it. I use an A/B switch, so when I'm playing the upright, the electric is muted and vice-versa. I've found that I have a little boost on the lows and drastic cut on the highs and mids, but I have one of those $30 pickups form Ebay.... sounds good the way I have it, though, so I'm not about to complain.

Low G was the problem area for me, G-Bb on the E string were honking and booming like a mo-fo. I don't mute the other strings, either, not that I know of (not on purppose anyway)...

• Members

My experience with live URB gigging is limited, but I've had luck with some of the suggestions already stated:

- Knee to the back (helped kill some low-mid resonance)

- Boss parametric EQ pedal (narrow Q, pulled out an offensive mid frequency)

- Amp behind my right shoulder (my body is between the path of the speaker and the rear bass-side edge of the URB)

- Hand on the top between songs

Real gaffer tape (not regular black duct tape) is supposed to release a lot easier, with no residue. Also, I've thought of taking rubbings of the f-holes and using them as templates to make f-hole plugs much like the ones acoustic guitarists use.

• Members

TBroom, I built a lowpass filter from a single capacitor and a single resistor. That's all there is to it. I don't get feedback because the passed frequencies are lower than the feedback. I guess if I turned it up all the way I'd get some I don't know but I

played out last Friday with no feedback at all. Just bring up "low pass filter java experiment" and you can see how easy it is.

I did a thread about this two weeks ago.

• Members
Originally posted by Perfessor

TBroom, I built a lowpass filter from a single capacitor and a single resistor. That's all there is to it. I don't get feedback because the passed frequencies are lower than the feedback. I guess if I turned it up all the way I'd get some I don't know but I

played out last Friday with no feedback at all. Just bring up "low pass filter java experiment" and you can see how easy it is.

I did a thread about this two weeks ago.

At what frequency are you filtering?

• Members

OK I just checked my plans and I used a 10 ohm resistor and a .15 microfarad capacitor. I built it into a little black plastic box with two female 1/4" plugs. I have a 3' cord to the filter and I plug my bass into the other side......easy as pie. I think the cutoff frequency for mine is 10,615 Hz.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Can this stuff be purchased at major retailers or would I have to search an online specialty shop?

I got a big roll through MF. Maybe instead of cutting you a check for moderating, they can pay you in the form of tape.:D

I know . . . . .you mod for nothing.

• Members

The parametric is the best way to go - it's pretty easy to find the frequency where it wants to "take off".

A couple of things about upright - number one it's never going to sound like your bass guitar no matter what you do to it. It's never going to have the same attack or bite...so get used to it.

Also, it's an acoustic instrument so you've got to make it speak...if you have a soft touch on electric that's going to have to change.

You also might have to play it on a certain axis to reduce howling -experimention will help. Also, it's an instrument that fools you - sometimes you may think it's inaudible, but it really is working for everyone else...don't get discouraged - it's a big learning curve. ;)

I would be careful about a lowpass filter - usually the feedback is 200 -300 range low mid stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

I would be careful about a lowpass filter - usually the feedback is 200 -300 range low mid stuff.

Aw heck they're easy to make I don't know why you have to be careful about it! you can make high pass filters, too. There are powered types using 9v and the passive kind. It has greatly improved the sound of the piezo and like I said I haven't gotten feedback. I think it cost $5.00 to make, something like that.

• Members

Originally posted by Perfessor

Aw heck they're easy to make I don't know why you have to be careful about it! you can make high pass filters, too. There are powered types using 9v and the passive kind. It has greatly improved the sound of the piezo and like I said I haven't gotten feedback. I think it cost $5.00 to make, something like that.

It just doesn't seem like you should need to shelf out everything if just one or two frequencies are the problem. ;)

• Members

Can this stuff be purchased at major retailers or would I have to search an online specialty shop?

It's pretty hard to find in a store. Here's a couple of resources:

http://www.identi-tape.com/gaffer1.htm

http://www.laresinternational.com/tapes.htm

Edit: Right before you apply it to the bass, stick the strips you're gonna use on your pants leg and pull it off. It will reduce the stickiness a little further to better protect the finish.

The tape comes in crazy colors. You could get all arts and crafts and make little flaming f-hole covers. That would be too cool on your black doghouse.

• Members

Originally posted by NeonVomit

I've considered using my upright bass for Winter's Verge gigs on certain songs. I do not possess a pickup though... would running through a microphone (which goes through my SansAmp and then into the PA) do the trick?

This is really hard to do if your band is loud. If you can keep the stage volume low it's possible. I did this with success in a bluegrass band after some crusty oldtimer taught me the following trick. What you do is borrow a bar towel from the bar, fold it over a few times and then wrap it around the mic so the mic end peeks out past the towel. Then gently stuff it between the body and the strings/string end holder near the end pin with the mic parrallel to the floor. Make sure the mic is as close to the bass body as possible without touching it. Use just enough pressure so the towel holds it in place but not too much or you can drop/move the bridge.

This will hold the mic securely enough that you can do the normal tricks like standing on it and spinning and such, but you have to remember to spin it back the other way or the mic cord will get all bunched up.

• Members

I wonder what rockabilly bands do?

You called? :D

Some use tape and lots play without an amp and just let the soundguy fight with it.

Usually I just point my cabs away from me and I almost never have problems.

But when it's really bad, Here are some of my tricks.

I've put one speaker up on top of the mains so that I can point it to me at head level (as opposed to ground level where my bass is) for a monitor without it rumbling the crap out of my bass.

I make sure the guitard's amp is facing away from my bass too. He has a gretch through a bassman, so it can really set my bass off.

I make sure I'm never in front of the kick either.

I've played with the EQ.... it changes from club to club what I'll set it at for best sound.

My legs are too short (as is the rest of me) to clamp the bass between my knees, but I bet it would help. It can also help to simply move the bass. I'll get myself in between the bass and my amp as much as I can and make sure nothing is pointing at it's belly- monitor speaker, whatever.

Worse comes to worse, I've stood back behind the entire band and sadly enough, played deaf to my sound. It lead to a great deal of fingerboard gazing, but at least we didn't have people running to the exit due to all the feedback.

:wave: Have fun and welcome to the club!

PS. when I was first starting out, I'd bring the electric along and store it in my trunk for days when it was just too impossible to get the feedback kicked.

• Members

THe problem I had was that the Piezo (like I said, a cheapo) was not bringing out the acoustic sound of the bass, it was bringing out the technical vibrations from the bridge, so it was a lot of mid and high. I've got it now to where my upright sounds very much like it does acoustically. I've also had issues on smaller stages with the kick drum causing the body to howl, I'm the lead singer (of 70% of our songs) and have to figure microphone placement into the equation as well, so I can't put myself off to the side, so I've made it work with a preamp/EQ....

I like having the problem solved as opposed to just getting around it, it also affords me the opportunity to goof off and not be stuck in one place with my Dog House in front/ beside me.

I am the sound guy, so leaving it to me would not get the situation out of my hands.....

Archived