Best Bass Amplification for around $500?

halcyo

• Members

Originally posted by brake

I've never heard an Ashdown amp in the flesh. How would you describe the sound? Growly like an Ampeg or a GK, or super clean like an Eden?

Most anything in that price range will work just fine, brake. Like Jaco said, the tone is in your fingers.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by brake

I've never heard an Ashdown amp in the flesh. How would you describe the sound? Growly like an Ampeg or a GK, or super clean like an Eden?

I could post as to what one sounds like, but when I rec'd mine it was DOA. :(

I ordered a "Blemished" Ashdown MAGC115T .
It looked like a return, but didn't work when I plugged it in.

Turns out Samedaymusic.com has excellent customer service though. I e-mailed them a RMA request and the next day they sent me an RMA number and shipped a new amp. (It'll get here Thursday) They didn't even expect me to pay the difference in price between the Blem and the regular ones! ($80)

I was shocked to see a company cross ship an RMA without charging my credit card for the replacement (then refunding when RMA unit arrives). They just require UPS tracking for my return to show up within 7 days of receipt of replacement. :)

If you are still looking later in the week I'll give you my thoughts. (@ least of what it sounds like with a J-Bass):cool:

• Members

Never really liked my Eden rig. The ashdown stuff can do alot of differant sounds. It can do the GK thing if you like or can get a little HiFi if needed. GK has old GK sound and new GK sound. Which are you looking for? As for Ampeg, I put an Ampeg preamp in front of my Ashdown preamp and ended up pulling it because it did not sound any better and I did not need the extra weight. Best of luck.

• Members

Originally posted by rovito

Never really liked my Eden rig. The ashdown stuff can do alot of differant sounds. It can do the GK thing if you like or can get a little HiFi if needed. GK has old GK sound and new GK sound. Which are you looking for? As for Ampeg, I put an Ampeg preamp in front of my Ashdown preamp and ended up pulling it because it did not sound any better and I did not need the extra weight. Best of luck.

The sound is in your fingers.

• Members

I have recently purchased a Kustom Groovebass 600w 1x15 combo

I seem to be able to get all the sounds I need and more power than I'll ever use, all the bells and whistles, more than needed.

Just under 500 and this thing is built like a tank and the rumble fits the description

:D

• Members
Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

For the most part.

Sure, your rig
influences
your overall sound, but the fingers are where it starts, and where it ends.
:thu:

Agreed. I imagine that you might make small changes in technique depending on the cab. All I'm saying is what every professional I've heard comment on the subject says, including Jaco. One of them at another forum said something along the lines of "If these guys put as much time into practice as they do discussing Ampeg vs. SWR, I'd have a lot more competition".

• Members

Originally posted by way2fat

Agreed. I imagine that you might make small changes in technique depending on the cab. All I'm saying is what every professional I've heard comment on the subject says, including Jaco. One of them at another forum said something along the lines of "If these guys put as much time into practice as they do discussing Ampeg vs. SWR, I'd have a lot more competition".

Very true. You know, the better I get at playing, the less I care about what I'm playing or playing thru. I've been very effective playing thru a Peavey Microbass at the coffee shop improv jams. I've played private parties in Chicago(Wrigleyville) with great success on my Essex P w/o a backup.

Honestly, there was a point where I thought as I got better I'd need better tools. Maybe I've hit the point of diminishing returns, but all I need is something playable with a good setup, and a clear and reliable rig.

After all, music is a spiritual endeavor.

• Members

I have to wonder if Jaco playing through a P bass and a marshall stack would still get the exact same sound as his J bass and his Acoustic amps.

I'll bet he could get close if he really wanted to. I'll bet he do it with a P and a wide variety of bass amps. Hell if the pros couldn't do that, they wouldn't want a backline, they'd bring their own. Maybe Jaco meant that the sound is in your fingers when you're playing at his level; I've heard a lot of pros say that they sound like themselves no matter what they're playing.

• Members

I have to wonder if Jaco playing through a P bass and a marshall stack would still get the exact same sound as his J bass and his Acoustic amps.

"Exact same sound" is silly. I don't get the same sound playing the same instrument thru the same rig in the same room from day to day. Ask any professional audio engineer. The air in the room has a lot to do with getting the "exact same sound." So, no. Jaco wouldn't have. But then again, he didn't with the gear he used.

Regardless, he still would have sounded like Jaco on whatever he played on and whatever he played thru...because his sound was his personality. That's how it is with +90% of the worlds best players.

• Members

What will be the sonic differences between a 2x10 cabinet versus a 1x15? I am looking at a few of those Ashdown Combos and I want to find the right fit...Will the Ashdown 300 Watt 2x12 (or the 1x15 for that matter) be loud enough to play small bar gigs? Also, how will these suckers record? They sound nice?

thanks guys, haven't decided yet, but have got alot of good ideas now...

halcyo

• Members

With a 1x15 you will get more of the true (borderline subsonic) bass. The 2x10 will be much punchier sounding, it will miss some of the lowest frequencies but your audience is very unlikely to notice as there will probably be plenty of low mids which give your sound a lot of the thump anyway.
I regularly play small/medium pubs with my 300r with just a single cab. I've never needed more volume than it can give even when playing with my metalcore band (usually 2 cabs or lots of PA support).
I've never recorded with it in a studio, but the DI worked very well for a live recording we did at a gig earlier this year (I almost always DI rather than miking).

• Members

Originally posted by way2fat

The most widely perpetuated myth in all of bassdom is that 10's don't go as low as 15's, and 15's aren't as "punchy" as 10's. Complete nonsense.

Speaking from experience I really don't agree. Certainly in my price range 10s do not cover the lowest frequencies. High-end gear might be different. I speak as I find. My 15 is punchy but many are not.

• Members

Originally posted by Adrenochrome

Speaking from experience I really don't agree. Certainly in my price range 10s do not cover the lowest frequencies. High-end gear might be different. I speak as I find. My 15 is punchy but many are not.

It does make a difference but there's so many other factors at work (size of box, shape of box, acoustic treatment of box, porting, the electrical characteristics of the loudspeaker) that anything other than a direct like-for-like comparison would be pretty useless

• Members

Originally posted by i_wanna_les_paul

I like my $500 rig a lot. I bought used and couldn't touch the quality for the price had I gone new. I have a Gallien-Krueger 400RB-IV head and a Genz Benz LS-112T cab. You can find the Aguilar 112 or other brands' 2x10's in that price range, too. If you're looking for some good low-mid thump, IMO, the GK can do that very well.

I'm very pleased.

Dustin

+1 on the GK 400RB IV Head. I got mine used for $300 shipped and it is in good condition. The GK would be very quiet in a recording session and has a ton of ability to adjust tones from reggae to slap to rock to jazz. It has a decent amount of power with one 8 ohm cab.

• Members

$460 buys a Yorkville XM200C combo with a15" speaker.

I think that's what I would buy on your budget vrs the Ashdown; probably just as loud, if not louder than the 300 watter and comes with a better warranty.

I've played through a 2X10 and a 15 inch cab exclusively(Yorkvilles) and together at times, and can say I like the 15 better.

for what it's worth...

Archived