Best Bass Amplification for around $500?

halcyo

• Members

Hey, I've searched around on the forums and haven't found much of anything, so I am coming to you guys for some advice on bass amps to check out. I would like to keep my budget around or under $500, but I want to get something fairly nice, as I will be recording with it and can hopefully coax some pro sounds out of whatever I go with.

Right now I play a standard Jazz Bass, and I am looking for something that will get me between that modern R&B finger growl, and that rock/pop/blues punch. Versatility beyound that would be wonderful, but these are the sounds I will go to more often than not. I thinkin' that maybe less is more with a bass amp. I will sacrifice lots of features and amp simulations for a solid, great sound any day.

I will be gigging with the amp, so it should be loud enough for 'bar gigs', but it doesn't need to be a 'large rig' by any means. Again, recording is a priority for me, so a good preamp with a nice musical eq, that doesn't hiss and hum, is a must.

Combo or Head/Cab.

So what's hot right now?

thanks

halcyo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seems like a few people like the Ashdown amps. It sounds stupid, but they seem like a rock players amp, and I am looking for something a bit more 'R&B/Pop'. Sure this will still fit the bill? Where can I order one with a real generous return policy?

thanks guys, keep the ideas coming

halcyo

• Members

May want to check into the used market as well, peavey and GK are two very reputable brands that are known for their reliability and great sound. A Gallien Krueger head and an avatar 2x12 would do you well.

If you can go out to a music shop and try out everything you can, see what you can find your sound in. Then check out the used market to find better prices.

• Members

This:

http://www.daddys.com/php/bargain_detail.php?aproductid=PEA1869A

Plus this:

http://www.daddys.com/php/n_usedgear_detail.php?aproductid=PEA5330

...would make an extremely versatile rig that'd cover nearly any situation - for less than $400... Usually they'll have a Mark VI or VIII head for around $200 or so, but not any at the moment - although that Combo 300 is a great deal for that price...

- georgestrings

• Members

Originally posted by halcyo

Seems like a few people like the Ashdown amps. It sounds stupid, but they seem like a rock players amp, and I am looking for something a bit more 'R&B/Pop'. Sure this will still fit the bill? Where can I order one with a real generous return policy?

thanks guys, keep the ideas coming

halcyo

Something a bit more R&B/pop comes from your fingers, not your amp.

• Members

Originally posted by jpark

May want to check into the used market as well, peavey and GK are two very reputable brands that are known for their reliability and great sound. A Gallien Krueger head and an avatar 2x12 would do you well.

If you can go out to a music shop and try out everything you can, see what you can find your sound in. Then check out the used market to find better prices.

I gotta disagree here. It's nothing but rude and no-class to make some store jump through hoops to help you and then go buy somewhere else.

Paying a little more can pay you in the long run. When you patronize you local music store you are helping your local economy, obviously, but there are other benefits to buying locally. If you gig much at all, sooner or later your going to have a bad equipment incident, and as a regular at the local store you'll very likely be able to borrow what you need to use while your rig is being repaired. Buy picks, strings, cables, locally and you will become a valued customer and not be treated like just another chump that is wasting their time before buying by mail.

• Members

Originally posted by way2fat

I gotta disagree here. It's nothing but rude and no-class to make some store jump through hoops to help you and then go buy somewhere else.

Paying a little more can pay you in the long run. When you patronize you local music store you are helping your local economy, obviously, but there are other benefits to buying locally. If you gig much at all, sooner or later your going to have a bad equipment incident, and as a regular at the local store you'll very likely be able to borrow what you need to use while your rig is being repaired. Buy picks, strings, cables, locally and you will become a valued customer and not be treated like just another chump that is wasting their time before buying by mail.

If your local music store has something used, than by all means go for it. I'm saying try some different new stuff out, if you find something you like, go for it on the used market. If your local store has it used, than support them. I always by from my local place, they price match any catalog. The guys at my place will even recommend you to come in and try stuff, see if you like it, then if you can't afford it they'll try to find something for you, if they can't they recommend the same thing I do. Buying new is great, but as everyone knows good bass gear isn't cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by jpark

If your local music store has something used, than by all means go for it. I'm saying try some different new stuff out, if you find something you like, go for it on the used market. If your local store has it used, than support them. I always by from my local place, they price match any catalog. The guys at my place will even recommend you to come in and try stuff, see if you like it, then if you can't afford it they'll try to find something for you, if they can't they recommend the same thing I do. Buying new is great, but as everyone knows good bass gear isn't cheap.

I haven't seen a store without used gear, and don't forget that new stuff can be bought on time. I'm not ragging you, I'm saying that going local can be cheaper in the long run. If your amp crapped out I'll bet the folks at the store where you shop would loan you one for a gig, right?

• Members

If you find a used Ampeg B2 1x15 combo (they don't make them anymore), you might wanna check it out.

I got one 2 years ago 'cause I wanted a amp that fits in my car (my other amp is an Ampeg SVT-CL with it's 8x10). The B2 has the Ampeg sound and is not too pricey. The advantage it has is that you can plug an extra cab in it... which makes it go from it's 200 watts rating to 325 watts.

• Members

Originally posted by way2fat

I haven't seen a store without used gear, and don't forget that new stuff can be bought on time. I'm not ragging you, I'm saying that going local can be cheaper in the long run. If your amp crapped out I'll bet the folks at the store where you shop would loan you one for a gig, right?

I took it in no offense, and agree with you 100%. I just wanted to explain myself a little better than what I did.

Yes they would loan me something if I was in need, one of the many reasons they keep my business.

• Members

I like my $500 rig a lot. I bought used and couldn't touch the quality for the price had I gone new. I have a Gallien-Krueger 400RB-IV head and a Genz Benz LS-112T cab. You can find the Aguilar 112 or other brands' 2x10's in that price range, too. If you're looking for some good low-mid thump, IMO, the GK can do that very well.

I'm very pleased.

Dustin

• Members

I second the Ashdown rig. I use mine for all types of gigs ( Adult contemporary/smooth jazz to 80s metal ) it does it all . Very versitile and loud when needed. For $400 you could get the 115 combo shipped to your door. $500 for the 210 combo. I use American Music Supply with the easy pay option. Best of luck.

Archived