tube vs solid state vs hybrid amps?

jonathan_matos5

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Rabbits pose the problem of getting more rabbits than you need. It is more important with rabbits than any other creature to make sure they are matched-male/male or female/female. A male/female amp will either sound tired or have loose hares, robbing you of rabbit wattage.

True...but wouldn't a male/female unseparated amp at times give you LOTS more power from one side? And they'd generate more bunnies making more power per side as well, right? ;)

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

Oh sure, and they're unreliable and fragile like lightbulbs, right??
:rolleyes:

Stop spreading misinformation.

Stop putting words in my mouth and quit sniveling. You're making the real Ox look bad, may he forever rest in peace.:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by REMUS

Well stop being silly then?
:confused:

I don't think my opinion was silly, it just isn't your opinion. Personally, I suspect that tubes not sounding as tight way down low (as opposed to lo-mids) at high volume may have something to do with the fridge being a sealed cab design.

• Members

Originally posted by way2fat

I don't think my opinion was silly, it just isn't your opinion. Personally, I suspect that tubes not sounding as tight way down low (as opposed to lo-mids) at high volume may have something to do with the fridge being a sealed cab design.

That is an amp flaw, not a flaw of tube amps in general. It has to do with damping, which can be fixed on tube amps (and solid state amps, too).

• Members

Originally posted by way2fat

I don't think a prerequisite of using a tube amp is that fridge cab. I hate 'em personally... but I loves my toobs. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

If you want a more organic tone, you need gerbils on wheels to power your amp. Much more "live" sounding than SS/Tube amps.

Yeah, but they have to be vintage. After about '68-'69 they started making the gerbils in Korea, and they just don't sound the same (most of the best gerbils go to San Francisco anyway)

• Members

Originally posted by FreestyleIntruder

Yeah, but they have to be vintage. After about '68-'69 they started making the gerbils in Korea, and they just don't sound the same (most of the best gerbils go to San Francisco anyway)

they still make hamsters in the US and hamsters are way better than gerbils:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

That is an amp flaw, not a flaw of tube amps in general. It has to do with damping, which can be fixed on tube amps (and solid state amps, too).

Maybe so, I'm just commenting on what my ears heard in one comparison. I'm sure that tube designs haven't been sitting still since the 70's, I just haven't heard anything that would make it worth (to me anyway) the extra expense and weight.

Archived