Best 1 min. 30 second bass solo in history?

K7Baixo

• Members

Yeah - we all have our favorites.

And, I'm not talking about BG slamming some myspace honey either - that may be under a minute for all we know. FeelGood.giflieb62.gif

I'm talking about a bass solo that rocked when it was played for the first time and still rocks today.

My nomination is Dennis Coffee who was a session guitarist in Motown and as part of his Evolution album, did the song Scorpio.

You youngins who don't have a sense of history might want to check this out. Along with Dennis Coffee on the guitar, there are several Motown GIANTS featured. Eddie "Bongo" Brown plays the congas along with Uriel Jones and Richard "Pistol" Allen in a monster durm break which Jack Ashford joins with his tambourine. This break lasts about 24 bars - nearly a full minute!

But, they're outdone by Bob Babbit who joins in on the bass at about the 2 minute mark for a solo that includes a couple of unforgettable bass growls that goes for about another 1 1/2 minute making the drums/bass/tabourine solo 2 1/2 mintues long. Not the longest in history but one of my favorites.

I've checked iTunes and they don't have Scorpio on their listings. Hard to believe.

A search of the net found a copy at this site and he has a copy here. It's not the best copy - but it'll do.

Give it a listen - and tell us your favorites.

• Members

Dayum - forgot about that one!

Me too! I was listening to Babbit's tone in the first clip and it sprung into my mind! Thinking of going out and getting another copy because the bass is GREAT and Steve Mariott may have been one of the best bluesrock singers of all time (Frampton didn't suck either :D )

• Members

Some of my favorites:

I always dug Geddy Lee's little solos, my favorite being the one at the end of "Leave That Thing Alone" on the Rush In Rio CD/DVD.

I remember hearing Dave LaRue pull off this really cool solo on a Dregs live CD. I don't recall the name of the CD or the song (sadly I don't have it anymore), but I can still hear it in my head. I know he starts out with these awesome runs playing fingerstyle, then for the second half of the solo switches to slap.

On the Jaco Birthday Concert CD, the last track is a rendition of "America The Beautiful" that is just awesome.

On Stu Hamm's last solo disc, Outbound, he does a fantastic rendition of "Star-Spangled Banner".

• Members

And, I'm not talking about BG slamming some myspace honey either - that may be under a minute for all we know.
FeelGood.giflieb62.gif

I won't deny that there's truth in this, but I recover quiclky. I can do that minute again in 3 minutes!

I ask women What would you rather do? Get it once, all night long, or get it 100 times, All night long?:D

• Members

I won't deny that there's truth in this, but I recover quiclky. I can do that minute again in 3 minutes!

I ask women What would you rather do? Get it once, all night long, or get it 100 times, All night long?
:D

Oscar.gif

You are alright my friend. If and when we make it to your part of the world, dinner is on me!

• Members

Not really a solo, but just a little section of a song.

Melvin Gibbs with the Rollins Band

"Thursday Afternoon"

There just a little line he plays in what I guess would be the bridge. Simple as hell, but the sound and the tone....

Bad Motherf*cker!!!

Archived