Stupid Cold: Where's The Global Warming?

Thunderbroom

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I mind! I had to change a tire on Saturday on my sons car. AAA was too busy to get to him (I've had AAA for years and this was the first time I tried to use them).
:mad:

nice avatar by the way :D

i can't stand the cold and this morning was just insane. I was really suprised my car turned over at all. I want to move into a warmer climate like you wouldn't believe.

• Members

Almost three-quarters of a degree in 100 years.

That's insane.

eek.gif

Well, yes it is because if it continues at the same rate it's going at today, at the end of the present century it's gonna be 3-5 degrees more... and 5 degrees in average global temperatures is roughly the difference between an ice age and an interglacial period...

That's the problem with the current climate change debate, the "real" numbers are not glamorous enough (+0.72 C over a century, the sea level rising by 3mm each year, Arctic sea ice decreasing by 3% per decade) to make for interesting news, so both alarmists and skeptics are screaming about other things...

my 2 climate cents...

• Members

Well, yes it is because if it continues at the same rate it's going at today, at the end of the present century it's gonna be 3-5 degrees more... and 5 degrees in average global temperatures is roughly the difference between an ice age and an interglacial period...

That's the problem with the current climate change debate, the "real" numbers are not glamorous enough (+0.72 C over a century, the sea level rising by 3mm each year, Arctic sea ice decreasing by 3% per decade) to make for interesting news, so both alarmists and skeptics are screaming about other things...

my 2 climate cents...

You do realize that 30 years ago that there was an outcry about global cooling, don't you?

• Members

You do realize that 30 years ago that there was an outcry about global cooling, don't you?

yes, I do, and in fact I'm also of the opinion that climate change and carbon dioxide emission, although related, should not be part of the same debate... Energy use in the western world is problematic, wether it contributes to climate change or not, and at some point, when oil is going to run out, {censored} is gonna hit the fan and global warming is going to be the least of our worries...

But that's a matter for another thread...

• Members

yes, I do, and in fact I'm also of the opinion that climate change and carbon dioxide emission, although related, should not be part of the same debate... Energy use in the western world is problematic, wether it contributes to climate change or not, and at some point, when oil is going to run out, {censored} is gonna hit the fan and global warming is going to be the least of our worries...

I'd be much more concerned about the use of fossil fuels in China than I would in the US and Europe. Did they sign the Kyoto agreement?

• Members

I'd be much more concerned about the use of fossil fuels in China than I would in the US and Europe. Did they sign the Kyoto agreement?

Yup, that's part of the problem, china's economy is growing rapidly, along with it's energy consuption. At this stage the west has no viable alternative to oil for many parts or the economy, not just energy, and we are in no position to tell china to slow down growth just because they are threathening our supply... They are still far from catching up on us, but growing very fast...

We need, as a society, to have a strong commitment towards alternative energy sources on the one hand, and towards a reduction in total enery consuption on the other hand, and then we can actually tell the rest of the world how to do it...

Chances are it ain't gonna happen...

• Members

We need, as a society, to have a strong commitment towards alternative energy sources on the one hand, and towards a reduction in total enery consuption on the other hand, and then we can actually tell the rest of the world how to do it...

No way. We just gotta burn up all the oil before the Chinese get to it first :p

;)

• Members

when oil is going to run out, {censored} is gonna hit the fan and global warming is going to be the least of our worries...

It's a good thing we didn't run out back in the 70's... or 80's... or 90's... or early 00's too... :thu:

the simple fact that nobody has a real clue to where and how much oil there is on the planet makes this "argument" silly. after all, most "science types" who buy in to this "world is ending" nonsense are the same people that would spout evolution as being scientific fact- well, ok then. if the earth is meant to survive, shouldn't it just suck it up? ;)

• Members

its simple. If there is untold mounts of money to be made supporting a public policy position, the science will support it, because the great majority of today's scientific research is funded by tax dollars.

Like everything else, it's driven by profit, as sure as the Iraq and Vietnam wars

were.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/global-warming020507.htm

I think this guy is right. It's a natural cycle tht we cannot control, and there are trillions of dollars to be made from claiming the opposite.

Archived